Thread: What do you want in Gen 6?

Who am I? Where am I? JewelsVerne's Avatar

Default Re: What do you want in Gen 6?

Quote Originally Posted by ObliviaRangerLuvva View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Serperior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokelova View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post
    I don't quite understand, what's wrong with the American English being used universally?
    Because some countries don't use it? That's a good enough reason right there. But what if it were British English being used in your American games? I'm sure you'd have something to say then.
    The games aren't American, they're Japanese XD

It just seems kinda frivolous....I just don't see the point.
    He means your American-translated game, I'm sure you know that.

And well, you don't see it, but it doesn't mean it has no point, from the point of view of a british fan, using ''Colour'' and ''Mum'' is NOT just a letter change, it's a whole cultural process that is ignored when games have no british translation, and it's not just in words too, the MM/DD/YYYY is also pretty jarring and confusing for prople, who, like me, grew up using DD/MM/YYYY
    I really have to agree with Serperior here, as I think that the only change made in ANY game for the british versions was the swearing used by a Team Galactic grunt in pastoria city, because it was classed as too 'mature' for the british, and I get too ticked off because of that. We have a word removed, yet an entire country's culture is removed because they believe that American-English is 'Standard' in any english speaking country!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but when non-English speaking countries learn English, don't they usually learn British English? Making BE the more "universal" form of English? I really never thought about it, but it really would make more sense to translate the games into BE considering most of the world speaks that version. Or at least translate the games into both American and British. Good points here.
    Narcisse likes this.

Soul Silver FC: 1335 6964 5411

White FC: 3525 9470 1419

White 2 FC: 5415 9061 5639

Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf10 View Post
    As for the British/American English thing... what's the point? it'd be a waste of time... besides a few slang and grammer and spellings (what's with you guys and the unnecessary vowels? Colour just looks weird...) they're the same language... and I don't get why MM/DD/YY is so hard to understand.... Besides if the Gen VI region is also based on America it would make no sense for them to usw British English
    What I don't get is why Americans deviated their spelling (among other things) from the Britain's English. It is the origin of the language after all, so it only makes sense to spell it how it was initially spelled.
    Narcisse and Pokelova like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf10 View Post
    As for the British/American English thing... what's the point? it'd be a waste of time... besides a few slang and grammer and spellings (what's with you guys and the unnecessary vowels? Colour just looks weird...) they're the same language... and I don't get why MM/DD/YY is so hard to understand.... Besides if the Gen VI region is also based on America it would make no sense for them to usw British English
    I really didn't want to get more involved in what is a pretty banal argument but there seems to be a lot of people completely missing the point that we Brits are trying to make here -

You cannot say 'What's with you guys and the unnecessary vowels.' First of all, the 'u' is not unnecessary, it's there to contribute to the pronunciation. Like the 'i' in 'AL-U-MIN-I-UM.'

You say 'Colour' looks weird. Well we think 'Color' looks weird.

We have never once had any difficulty whatsoever with understanding the U.S date format. It's just illogical to us to do it that way. When you spend your entire life reading and writing the date a certain way, it is jarring to see it differently. That's just natural.

Pokemon is from Japan. You cannot therefore say it makes more sense to use U.S english over British english just because as of 2010/11 there is a region loosely based on a very small part of the U.S.A. Pokemon had been around for a long, long time before the inclusion of Unova and had never once put forth a logical reason to use one type of english over the other.

You seriously feel put out by the possibility of being able to change which date format you use in-game...? Wow.
    Pokelova likes this.

Silver Strategician LadyScathach's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A Steel Eeveelution.
    A Fire starter that doesn't have Fighting as it's secondary type.
    Auto-level.
    A server that connects the first time.
    Hack checks for Wifi Club battling.
    Vanillites in different flavors.
    An option to team up over wifi at least when doing the Link Battle line/tower or a tag team battle option over wifi.
    Oh, and a marking system that you can use during Wifi trades. (Seriously, why put in a marking system when you can't search for your PKMN when you need to?)

About the british/american english matter: Yes, at school we´ve learned the british one and... when I come to internet, I always see the mixture of them both and I often don´t know which is which anymore (or what kind of english I´m using).

I can ungerstand the american way of writing dates, even though it may be a bit confusing, but I really see the point of cultural importance for british people here. It is somehow the same as I don´t like replacing the words in my language with the english ones. It´s not like "I don´t understand" but more like "I feel that all the cultural identity is going to be ruined."

On the other hand, I think it is not neccesary to make two-english versions of the games (Or maybe can some non-american company take over the english translations and translate it into british for a change :D), but the possibility to customize the prefference between DD/MM/YY and MM/DD/YY would be nice.
    Narcisse likes this.

If I make some stupid grammar mistake, I´m terribly sorry and feel free to correct me.

Loopy SummerXBen shipper! ObliviaRangerLuvva's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow ObliviaRangerLuvva On Twitter Add ObliviaRangerLuvva on Google+
    Follow ObliviaRangerLuvva on Tumblr Visit ObliviaRangerLuvva's Youtube Channel

Anyway, I now think this american or english argument has gone on for long enough...
    I agree with the idea for different types of vanillites!
    Imagine these: Chocollite, Chocollish, Chocolluxe; Strawbillite, Strawbillish, Strawbilluxe; Mintillite, Mintillish, Mintilluxe!
    Mielikki likes this.

Team Magma, Pokemon Pincher and Team Plasma member all at once and proud!
    I love Oblivia, and more importantly, UKULELE PICHU!
    http://pokefarm.org/_ext/PDuD2FR~cFuT

Imagine these: Chocollite, Chocollish, Chocolluxe; Strawbillite, Strawbillish, Strawbilluxe; Mintillite, Mintillish, Mintilluxe!
    This would necesarilly mean another reappearnce of Cynthia. (And as far as I like her, it might be too much overexposing) :D

If I make some stupid grammar mistake, I´m terribly sorry and feel free to correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mielikki View Post
    This would necesarilly mean another reappearnce of Cynthia. (And as far as I like her, it might be too much overexposing) :D
    NO. No more stupid ice creams, PLEASE. Also, why Cynthia?

I am a Spanish speaker and I learned the American English. I don't like to write "colour", for example. "Color" looks better for me.

Loopy SummerXBen shipper! ObliviaRangerLuvva's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow ObliviaRangerLuvva On Twitter Add ObliviaRangerLuvva on Google+
    Follow ObliviaRangerLuvva on Tumblr Visit ObliviaRangerLuvva's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Anser View Post
    Why Cynthia?
    Yeah, why her? Or is it because people keep assosciating her with food, as someone did mention something about her buying a luxurious loaf of bread on a thread I started...

Team Magma, Pokemon Pincher and Team Plasma member all at once and proud!
    I love Oblivia, and more importantly, UKULELE PICHU!
    http://pokefarm.org/_ext/PDuD2FR~cFuT

Quote Originally Posted by Anser View Post
    Why Cynthia?
    Yeah, why her? Or is it because people keep assosciating her with food, as someone did mention something about her buying a luxurious loaf of bread on a thread I started...
    This was a refference to the anime, where is she very often displayed with an ice-cream.

Blog Entries

@JaggedRag; I'm sorry and I have no problem with an option I'm just trying to make it less confusing by explaining the logic behind it. Christ! And even though something is obvious doesn't mean everyone knows it because no one has the time or even the desire to think about everything.

Anyway I'm hoping for more strong ground moves not everyone can use drill run and it would be nice to have one top tier ground move the anime can use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Blog Entries

@JaggedRag; I'm sorry and I have no problem with an option I'm just trying to make it less confusing by explaining the logic behind it. Christ! And even though something is obvious doesn't mean everyone knows it because no one has the time or even the desire to think about everything.

Anyway I'm hoping for more strong ground moves not everyone can use drill run and it would be nice to have one top tier ground move the anime can use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Nyx

The option to use the metric system in-game. I don't understand the imperial system.
    Crysta Blade and Berrenta like this.

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monster. View Post
    The option to use the metric system in-game. I don't understand the imperial system.
    Wait, when do they use either?

Top game series: Pokémon, Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman Arkham, Ace Combat, Forza, GTA, Sly Cooper, etc

Silver Strategician LadyScathach's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sonic10158 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster. View Post
    Wait, when do they use either?
    The only use I can think of is the weight and heights of PKMN in the dex.
    Last edited by LadyScathach; 15th December 2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Added quote

LinkBacks (?)

1. 5th October 2012, 07:29 PM