What do you do with your starter? - Page 2

View Poll Results: What do you do with your starter?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Use it the whole game!

20 90.91%
  • Use it until I find something else.

1 4.55%
  • Box it forever as soon as possible.

1 4.55%
  • Trade it to another game to get something else.

0 0%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What do you do with your starter?

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: What do you do wih your starter?

I always keep my starter on my team. I just never liked the idea of not using my starter Pokemon. It's the Pokemon that begins the journey with me and that makes it special to me. There are times where it's rather difficult to use it because of how it is in battle, like with Serperior in White, but I wouldn't box it because of cases like that. I'd just try to work with it the best that I can and have other members of my team to help cover its weaknesses as well.
    Team Gaara likes this.

Blog Entries

Well, if I like the starter, I certainly keep the Pokémon in my team for the whole game (but not necessarily as the main member of the team), if I don't, I drop it on the box and never look at the thing again. I am sorry, but I don't see any logic in using a Pokémon I don't like just because it was the first Pokémon I got in the game. They aren't special or better than regular Pokémon in any way, actually quite a few times they are worse than other Pokémon you find in the wild relatively early in the games.

In Generation V games I always used regular Pokémon as "starters" because the starter trio wasn't really good for my tastes. In Generation II, I used Typhlosion, it isn't that bad, but it was mostly because there aren't many good Pokémon in Johto to use as a substitute... In HGSS I asked for a person to trade a Larvitar so I could use it as the starter, lol. So, the starters I have kept in my team and absolutely loved using them were Venusaur, Sceptile, Blaziken, Infernape, Empoleon and Torterra. I really love them. Hopefully Chespin and Froakie are gonna have awesome evolutions because I really want one or both of them in my team.

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Usually, I choose it, nickname it, train it and coddle it and I grow so attached I never want it off my team. Though for solo runs I quickly box it without nicknaming so I can focus on my other Pokémon.

Default Re: What do you do with your starter?

I always keep him with me throughout the entire game. ALWAYS! Not once have I abandoned my starter. It just wouldn't feel right if I didn't start and finish the game with my starter. However, when I complete the game I often start using other Pokemon.

The Badassest Gardevoir BadAssGardevoir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PerseusRad View Post
    I always use my starter, in any of the games. It wouldn't feel right if I didn't. It' been there from the beginning, and I can't imagine doing that, because even though they are just pixels and code, it wouldn't feel right if they weren't with me on the main adventure.
    I don't like to box ANY of the Pokemon in my team, let alone my starter even though, as you said, they are just bits of code.
    Bulbagarden Battle leauge Fairy Gym Leader (THIS IMPLIES NOTHING!) and temporary Bug Gym leader.

Claims:Zorua, Naght daze and Stance change.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Keep it on my team because they usually end up being the strongest, and I use them a lot that they are sometimes overlevelled, even though I try to balance my team.

learn it live it love it venusboi79's Avatar

For the first playthrough, I keep it on my team. If it's a second play (or the third version/sequel), I'll usually box it and use something else. Bulbasaur is an exception; if he's on my team, he stays on my team.

I always keep my starter and use it throughout the whole game. I've only gotten rid of my starter once on a SS replay. Aside from one instance, my starter is always my team leader (not necessarily in the front, it's more emotionally).

Blog Entries

Visit Rainbow Cloud's Youtube Channel

I always have my starter in my team throughout the entire game, I don't even like to box my starters for a short amount of time. My starter also influences the other pokemon I have in my team as I like to try and build a balanced team based around the strengths and weaknesses of my starter

Frozen Grievous General Kreamous's Avatar

I always keep my starter unless it's completely useless ( Serperior.....) and it's always 10 levels higher than my other Pokes.
    Behold, General Kreamous!Behold, General Kreamous!

Join the Vanilluxe Fan Club Today! http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/groups/vanilluxe-fan-club/ Claimed~Vanilluxe

X and Y FC: 0318 - 7541 - 5925

shhhhh.
    Blog Entries

Follow Parma on Tumblr

It depends. If it proves useful to me, I leave it in the party. However, it goes to the box if the opposite applies
    the vile, wandering one sneaks up

I, for one, ALWAYS keep my starters in my team, no matter how good or bad they are. I can't stand people who just ditch their starters.

IT'S YOUR FIRST POKEMON, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!

And I happen to LIKE my Serperior, for your information.

I usually overlevel it to the point that is about 5-10 levels higher than the rest of my team, thus causing a leveling feedback loop. Then in the postgame it becomes a HM-slave (if its a water type). Then after I realize Smogon says my starter is NU or RU, but since it was my first poke (in the game, that is) I usually never box it, (and because I it need it for surf, waterfall, and dive :/)

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510 58209 74944 59230 78164....
    This is actually the line X + Y = 3.141

Frozen Grievous General Kreamous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venomking View Post
    I, for one, ALWAYS keep my starters in my team, no matter how good or bad they are. I can't stand people who just ditch their starters.

Well, I used a Serperior in White and White2 but it SUCKS and it just NEVER pulled it off. I tried using it as a dual screener with light clay and I just set up one then die. Then I try an offensive set and STILL NEVER WORKS. In my opinion Serperior is worse than Meganium.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venomking View Post

First Pokemon? For your information, what I call first Pokemon is your BEST Pokemon not your starter but other people it's different so they call their starters the first Pokemon. I usually mark my "first" Pokemon with the first symbol thing and that is my FIRST Pokemon. I had a Samurott then I got a Gastrodon that knows recover and I'm like screw it I'll just get Heracross back on the team to use Megahorn.
    Last edited by Shiny Celebi; 27th May 2013 at 05:45 PM.
    Behold, General Kreamous!Behold, General Kreamous!

Join the Vanilluxe Fan Club Today! http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/groups/vanilluxe-fan-club/ Claimed~Vanilluxe

X and Y FC: 0318 - 7541 - 5925

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

I always keep my starter on my team, no matter how poor their stats may be. I just work with them and give them movesets to work through their weak areas; in fact my Meganium and Serperior were almost never defeated. I strive to keep all of my Pokemon at the same level so my starter is never higher than any others. In fact, as my team grows, it tends be be used less and less often. Sometimes it ends up being at the lowest level at some points in the game, but it always works it's way up eventually.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast