VG Weekly Poll #51 Do the regions have enough diversity in their locations and areas?

View Poll Results: Do the regions have enough diversity in their locations and areas?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - All regions are very diverse and interesting

12 26.67%
  • No - The regions could include more diversity in their environments

7 15.56%
  • Some regions do a good job but others don't (feel free to specify in the posts!)

26 57.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: VG Weekly Poll #51 Do the regions have enough diversity in their locations and areas?

Zeb
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Default VG Weekly Poll #51 Do the regions have enough diversity in their locations and areas?

Hello Everyone! Welcome to the fifty-first installment in the Video Games Forum's new weekly series of polls!

Centered around the Pokemon series of video games, these polls will be based on the various different aspects of the popular video game franchise. Every Monday, a Video Games staff member will post a new poll that'll remained stickied up on top of the forum. Suggestions for polls and questions can be sent to Joshawott or Zeb and they could possibly used for new polls (credit will be given, of course).

With that out of the way, here is the poll:

Do the regions have enough diversity in their types of locations and areas?

The regions of the pokemon games include many locations, routes and areas; but are the regions diverse enough? Have some regions just not got enough diversity in their geography and locations, or do some have too much? Is there any style of city, or type of area or route you want to see included, that you haven't seen yet? Or have all the regions provided us with enough diversity? Let us know!

Past Polls of the Week

01) Was Black and White a step in the right direction?
    02) Did you agree with N's ideals?
    03) Favourite Generation?
    04) Do you EV train?
    05) Favourite Grass-type starter?
    06) Was the Battle Tower/Subway too hard?
    07) Favourite Spin-Off Series?
    08) Favourite Fire/Fighting type starter?
    09) Who was the hardest Gym Leader?
    10) Primary, Secondary of Tertiary Version?
    11) Do you use the Pokémon Global Link?
    12) Do you like the Pokémon Dream World?
    13) Creepiest Pokémon Resting Place?
    14) Favourite Regional Professor?
    15) Favourite Legendary Trio?
    16) Favourite Early Bird?
    17) Favourite Unova Gym Design?
    18) Favourite Ice-type Trainer
    19) Favourite Dragon-type Version Mascot
    20) Initial Reaction to Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition?
    21) Favourite Male Playable Character?
    22) Favourite Villainous team?
    23) Favourite Early Rodent?
    24) Favourite Fossil Pokémon?
    25) Most Anticipated 3DS Feature?
    26) Favourite Female Playable Character?
    27) Thoughts on the Doctor and Nurse trainer classes?
    28) Do you nickname your Pokémon?
    29) Do you use sacrifical moves?
    30) Which Kyurem form is your favourite?
    31) Should Black 2 and White 2 have been on the 3DS?
    32) Do you participate in official VGC events?
    33) Which type needs more attention?.
    34) Would you like to see Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition localised?.
    35) Will we see any new pokemon in B2W2?
    36) Do you like the changes to the EXP system in Black and White?
    37) Are you willing to pay the price for Pokédex 3D Pro?
    38) Which currently released Mythical Pokémon do you want the most?
    39) Would you agree with paid DLC in Pokémon?
    40) Do nature and IVs matter to you?
    41) Are you content with Pokémon's online?
    42) Who is your favourite rival?
    43) Favourite Water-type starter?
    44) Will you be purchasing Pokémon Conquest?
    45) Which is your favourite elemantal monkey?
    46) Which is your favourite early game bug?
    47) Would you like more Rotom appliances?
    48) Do you breed for egg moves?
    49) Favourite Unova Gym Badge?
    50) How spoiled for Black 2 / White 2 are you?

Thank you for voting!

-The Video Games Forum Staff
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: VG Weekly Poll #51 Do the regions have enough diversity in their locations and ar

Hoenn had done a very good job in mixing wild life and large harbor cities in the region. The tree-houses in Fortree had been a real surprise for me as they reflected and blended in well with the forest. However, I feel that Sinnoh had been a little less creative because the cities were... cities. While Sunyshore, Snowpoint, and Oreburgh made the most of their themes, certain cities like Hearthome and Jubilife didn't look much different than each other excluding the size. They were just - cities.

As for future locations - I would like to see something related to nomadic lifestyles. There could be grasslands where people live in tents, but their location changes every few days.

Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

Default Re: VG Weekly Poll #51 Do the regions have enough diversity in their locations and ar

A few regions did very well in diversity, such as Unova, Johto, and Hoenn.

Sinnoh and Kanto, not so much.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Seconding everyone. Hoenn did pretty good with its diversity while keeping a consistent theme. Johto didn't as much, but it made sense for the whole theme of continental traditional region anyway.

And for Unova... I'd say the whole point of it was the diversity. It does keep consistency in "areas" of sorts though, which is really fitting as you can talk of "central unova" having the richest cities and whatnot, "northern/eastern unova" which has older towns with most mythology...

[/overexposition]

追放されたバカ

Thought Hoenn did a bad job actually, there was a desert in the middle and the rest was all water mainly.

Unova is the best for diversity. Tohjo both failed to really provide diversity, and Sinnoh was ok I guess.

Trophies

Have to agree with Therain here, Hoenn had some nice locations and cities but all of the east and part of the south of the map was all water and apart from diving, water has the least amount of exploration possible, infact I have dreaded the final part of RSE recently because its so tedious...

I havent been on Johto recently but from what I renember it has some good areas. I cant really elaborate.

I think Kanto is the best for exploration because of the reason it keeps expanding within every new game (with the exeption of HGSS, its the same as GSC). Kanto started off as a good place for exploration with many caves and routes. I think SS. Anne is one of my favourite places and unless Gen V has a boat, Kanto is unique for this. It returned in the johto region but this time many changes had occouredd meaning that people could not be entirely sure what was where anymore. Admittadly, some places changed for the worst, such as the mewtwo cave caved in and mewtwo became unobtainable, but some places expanded and got better. In fire red, the sevii islands were introduced which added extra exploration for Kanto. These islands now allowed us so catch some Johto pokemon and the islands were extremely fun to explore and see what was on them.

On to Sinnoh, I dont think its as good as Kanto, but it is has many routes and mountains which is fun. Stark mountain was extremely fun but hard to explore. It was a nice surprise to find heatran at the end. I loved the snowy area which I think is unique to hoenn (once again unova may have this). I loved the trainers in the snowy area and the pokemon I found were cool (snorunt!!). There is more but I am ranting now so I wont elaborate.

Looking at videos, unova is an amazing place for exploration, but I dont have it so I wont comment...

Huge thanks to Blue Dragon for my EPIC avatar & sig

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Hoenn was pretty diverse, but there's no excuse for the 17 sea routes. Half of Hoenn is ocean. I know they were going for a land-sea sort of thing, but still. Sinnoh's also quite diverse, as you've got normal grass routes, a forest, snow routes, a huge mountain, and a decent amount of sea routes (5). Unova's also quite diverse, as you've got normal grass routes, forests, caves, a desert, sewers in B2W2, and another decent amount of sea routes (2). Whereas Kanto is just grass, grass, cave, grass, cave, ocean, grass, etc., and Johto's much of the same thing.
    Therian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Therian View Post
    Thought Hoenn did a bad job actually, there was a desert in the middle and the rest was all water mainly.
    You are entirely correct sir. except of course for the rainforests, volcanoes and ash covered lands, waterfalls, beaches, foggy islands, cities within hollowed old volcanoes, raft towns, and lush forests everywhere else. besides all that, hoenn is pretty boring.

Hoenn looked and felt really cool, but I have to agree that there were too many water routes in that game.

One thing I really enjoy about Black/White is the fact that, in general, HM moves aren't very necessary, at least beyond surf sometimes (but hey, Surf's actually a really good move, so that's OK) and a couple places with cut (oh well).
    "Johto" Johnny (HG):
    4941-9785-0728
    "Unova" Ewan (Black):
    1549-4754-3649

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

All regions lack something to create a full diversity. For example, Hoenn lacks a snow area for Ice types to thrive in but have a desert and volcano area for Fire types and Ground types respectively. A perfect diversial region must have a grassland, a forest, caves, a snow area, a volcanic area, a desert, a mountain region, a set of islands, and a haunted area.
    Phoenixphlare likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

Kanto was a dull region, as it all felt the same to me. There was nothing that really stood out as distinct.

Johto had some nice diversity, as did Unova.

I think it's just a region-by-region basis, as some fare better than others. Personally, though, I'd be interested in seeing more tropical, beach cities and routes, and more use of snowy places as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    All regions lack something to create a full diversity. For example, Hoenn lacks a snow area for Ice types to thrive in but have a desert and volcano area for Fire types and Ground types respectively. A perfect diversial region must have a grassland, a forest, caves, a snow area, a volcanic area, a desert, a mountain region, a set of islands, and a haunted area.
    Is it really necessary for a region to have absolutely every one of those for it to be considered diverse? I mean, Hoenn was a tropical region, so having a snowy area wouldn't make much sense, but judging from the posts in this thread it's considered a fairly interesting region aside from the endless water routes.
    Rex Kamex likes this.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Is it really necessary for a region to have absolutely every one of those for it to be considered diverse?
    Yes, so there won't be a lack of diversity of certain types (Sinnoh lacked Ghost types, Hoenn lacked Ice types, and Sinnoh lacked Fire types).

Blog Entries

Kanto is pretty bland for the most part. Johto is decently diverse and had an interesting traditional theme, along with a modern city, Goldenrod. Hoenn is very diverse with very creative cities, like Sootopolis, Pacifidlog, and Fortree. Sinnoh has decent diversity with big mountains, snowy areas, and a volcano, but has many bland cities, like Pastoria and Jubilife. Unova is the most diverse, because diversity is its whole purpose.

追放されたバカ

If Hoenn lacked Icy areas, where were Snorunt and Spheal found?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast