VG Weekly Poll #42 Who is your Favourite Rival? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite rival?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue (Red/Blue/Green/Yellow)

31 23.66%
  • Silver (Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver)

37 28.24%
  • Brendan/May (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)

8 6.11%
  • Wally (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)

4 3.05%
  • Barry (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)

22 16.79%
  • Cheren (Black/White)

15 11.45%
  • Bianca (Black/White)

6 4.58%
  • Hugh (Black/White 2)

8 6.11%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VG Weekly Poll #42 Who is your Favourite Rival?

Blog Entries

Default Re: VG Weekly Poll #42 Who is your Favourite Rival?

Silver because he had the most growth and most rivals battles out of all of the rivals

Hyping over Steven Stone Kyriaki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Anime-wise it's Gary, but his game counterpart wasn't really much of my style...

Cheren in the games had been awesome because he showed excellent development and character growth throughout BW.

Arms... like... nooodles! The Togekiss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow The Togekiss on Tumblr

I love the hyperness of Barry o3O!

My deviantArt account... http://thetogekiss.deviantart.com/
    Claimed: Togekiss (yay!) ,Oblivious, Pokeradar,and Razor Fang! July 8th, 2012, Air Slash July 20th, 2012

Forbidden Forest Ranger Cosmic Gerbil's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add Cosmic Gerbil on Facebook
    Visit Cosmic Gerbil's Youtube Channel

Hmm, I couldn't decide between Blue and Silver but in the end, I chose Blue cos he has an Eevee and I have always thought he was more badass than the player character from Gen 1 xD
    Copy and paste this into your signature if your village is being destroyed.

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Silver is by far my favorite. A very interesting story and personality that took two Generations to fully explore.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Blog Entries

Follow Fennel on Tumblr

Hard to choose, but I picked Bianca. They went down a path with her that I really didn't expect.

Something deeper...A bond Eeveeanne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Let me see...in order from favorite to least
    1. Barry- yes he's over excited, yes he's always bumping into me, yes he's always charging me fines. But he just makes me smile and laugh in a way no other rival ever did. I liked how I never knew when I was going to bump into him again. (or he bump into me) He was positive and fisty in spirit and i liked that about him.

2. Blue- because blue was gary pretty much. I sooo disliked him in the animated series for the way he treated Ash and I loved pwning him on a regular basis. Revenge was sweet.

3.Silver-He has to be one of the most in depth characters I can remember. I mean think about it. He STOLE a pokemon(and got away with it!) He continued to fight you to prove his worth, (in thinking that no one can beat him because he was too good he wondered why some softy could constantly kick his butt when he felt he had all the essenical qualities and drive when you didn't)then learned from you and with the final defeat withdrew himself. That kid had issues and it was evident throughout your encounters. I feel bad because I feel like such a character should be at the top of my list but because of his attitude in the begining he made me feel nothing but pity for him in the end. I like for my rivals to be fun, not make me feel like, "I hate you so much right now, I'm going to destroy you." Because in the end he was a user and abuser of pokemon, and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

4.Bianca & Cheren- because honestly, both are an equal tie to me. I found them both fun and fascinating. It was an awesome experience having 2 rival/best friends and I liked watching them grow as characters and having them both show up through the game. I found Cheren a bit to serious sometimes and Bianca way too spacey but they were both fun, I had a blast with them.

5.Wally- Just this, How dare you find a ralts straight out the gate and I have to search days here before I can even find one?!?!? He was whiny in the begining but he got suprisingly strong towards the end of it and that made me respect him as a character because he finally grew out his shell and got stronger for it.

6.Brendan- I played as May so I had brendan. But my main point is that Brendan as a character was so bland to me that I can hardly remember when I played against him, not that it mattered....I know I beat him everytime.

So yeah, those is my choices.

Silver, because he was actually bad. The others were just annoying, especially Blue.

My favorites are Silver and Bianca.
    Silver, because he is not only a rival, but a nemeses for the MC and Bianca because she is lovely.

I would like to say that Hugh is also one of my favorites...
    But I am yet to know his personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Anser View Post
    Especially Blue.
    I agree. Blue was the worst.

I have nothing against Brendan, Cheren, Wally and Jun, though.

Follow jamcoux On Twitter

My favorite has to be Blue (Gary). From the very beginning when you walk in to get your first Pokemon from Professor Oak, he's always one step ahead of you. Every time you see him later in the game he reminds you that he's moving faster than you, catching more pokemon, and getting stronger. And every time you beat him he has another comment to put you down again.

The whole game you are told that the goal is to beat the elite four and when you finally do? Gary did it first. But then you beat him AGAIN and there's finally no more places for him to run off to.

Of all the games, there wasn't a rival that I was happier to beat

Silver is my favourite rival.
    I feel like he just makes sense as a rival-type character: he drives you crazy and he's a total jerk, but he actually develops as the game progresses. He doesn't become a good guy, but he's not the same as he was when the game started, which is believable development in my opinion.
    He's not one-dimensional, and because of this I was actually interested in Silver's character, whereas I just wanted the other rivals to go away and stop following me around :)
    "If we climb high enough, we will reach a height from which tragedy ceases to look tragic." ~Irvin D. Yalom

Just saying, why is Blue only in Red, Blue, Green and Yellow? He was in FRLG as well...
    Anyway, I chose Silver.

T'was pretty hard to decide between Bianca and Blue, but what can I say, nostalgia came over me and so I picked Blue.
    They will make pigs of you all and they will bury their snouts into your ribs and they will eat your hearts.

After playing through White 2 in a language I understand lol, I must say Hugh has really jumped to the top of my list for how unique his character is among the previous rivals we had. I called him Azul in my game as a nod to the first rival, Blue, because I thought he might be a bit of a jerk like Blue. But Azul isn't, he isn't like Blue or anyone else.

Really now, I like the driving force behind Azul's character and rage. He's not your rival, he's more like your partner! He doesn't want to become strong to best the player, he actually asks the player to support HIM. His desire to become stronger isn't for selfish reasons, but it's for his little sister, who had her Purrlion stolen from her 5 years ago. His fierce desire to avenge her would strike the heart of any doting elder sibling, like me; I know I'd be doing the same thing he does if I were him.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

... I am sorry, Silver, but you are not my favorite anymore.
    Hugh is now and Bianca is the second. They are just too awesome.

In terms of preference, my TOP would be:

1.) Hugh: I love everything about him. From his unique and epic design to his way of training his team (In Undella he has only 3 Pokémon with him, when you most likely already has 6, but the levels of his Pokémon are high!). His personality is very interesting too. He is at the same time a rude and angry character, but with a soft and caring side. He is not a traumatized jerk like Silver or a douche-for-no-reason like Blue. He is just way too angry about what... well, I will be not spoiling B2W2 here. Plus, I must say his battle theme is just too damn awesome.

2.) Bianca: Yeah, let me be honest: I love Bianca as a character. I can relate a lot with her because I had trouble deciding what would I do with my life and to be honest, unlike her, I still have troubles with this subject. xD Anyway, her character development was very good, since she is basically Brendan/May done right. I like teh fact that even thought she is Juniper's assistant, she still battle in certain occasions, like in the PWT (considering that PWT is canon, but I doubt it is...). She has a pretty unique design for a rival too and unlike some people, I love her and Cheren's battle theme.

3.) Silver: He is basically the best thing about GSCHGSS, my least favorite Pokémon games. I wish he would make a cameo in the next generation games :[

4.) Cheren: As Bianca, Cheren had a very cool character development. I just don't like THAT much. xD

5.) Jun (I refuse to call him Barry, sorry): Well, he is funny... and... well, that is it.

6.) Brendan: Meh.

7.) Blue: ...Why people like this douche is beyond me. xD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast