VG Weekly Poll #41 Are you content with Pokémon's online capabilities? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Are you content with Pokémon's online?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

9 18.75%
  • Battling is good, trading is bleh.

10 20.83%
  • Trading is good, but battling is bleh.

7 14.58%
  • Nah, they need to improve it.

22 45.83%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: VG Weekly Poll #41 Are you content with Pokémon's online capabilities?

Blog Entries

Default Re: VG Weekly Poll #41 Are you content with Pokémon's online?

I can't give an opinion on battling, since I don't do the competitive thing. But I have heard some horror stories about it and think that improvements are necessary. The Dream World can be fun at times and it has its moments. The GTS....

The GTS needs an overhaul and needs it badly. I am dead sick of seeing a shiny Golurk up for trade, only to be hamstrung by the infamous "level 9 and under Reshiram" slag. It's annoying as all get-out and it could be fixed. As I've often said, I've been able to nail quite a few shinies via GTS (so many that I've opened up a fifth box on Black) but it's like pulling teeth with a pair of needle-nosed pliers. You can find reasonable offers but they are seemingly few and far between. Hey, if you want to put up a shiny level 30 Golett and ask for a Mew or an Arceus then I'll happily trade you. But if you do the "I'm showin' off mah shiny herp der" crap, I'll flip you off* before I go on to the next offer.

*I'm not kidding about that either. I have literally flipped off the trainer sprites on my DS's screen out of sheer irritation. Especially if they were showing off a Golett or Golurk that I could not take in.

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

I don't battle online anywhere outside of PBR, so I don't know about BW's random battling.

But GTS is a nightmare. o-o; I give away hacks all the time, but they're perfectly harmless. But if I can't give away a level 1 Zekrom, they shouldn't be able to ask for it! That's all the GTS really needs, it needs to STOP this crazyness! Nearly 99% of all goddamn trades are asking for 9-and-under Pokemon! It's not just Zek or Resh, I've also seen Haxorus, Hydreigon, even starters! AUGH! It's so unfair that they patch Maka Wuhu, but do nothing for the GTS. OTL

I also wish we could filter for nicknames too. :< I'm aiming for a living Pokedex in my White version. The living Pokedex will all have nicknames AND different IDs. As you can imagine, this will take me a while to do. But a nickname filter would speed things up a little. I guess a shinyness filter too.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Trading:

With friends, it's alright, there is no chatbox but at least you have voice chat....

With GTS, it's glitchy, filled with hackers, and is only good for the DNS redirection exploit.

With randoms, you can't voice chat at all, nor text chat, and you have no control of who you are trading with/what you want. It doesn't help that everyone on GTS happens to be a little kid looking for legendaries.

Battling:

The netcode stinks. Random disconnections, blue screens, the slowness, and the fact it syncs everything, which is horrid for netcode (just look at tunneled MKDD online or Halo 1 tunneled). Just look at the castform glitch/acid rain from Pt/HG/SS, it will affect D/P because of the game syncing everything.

There's also no autolevel like there was in Gen 4, so I haven't played Gen V like I used to.

As for the DW, it looked cool but then when it came out, it was buggy and boring. I wish you could grow berries in game....plus you will lose berries if/when DW is shutdown.

Oh, and please, fix the voice codec. It sounds like it was designed for dial up, and even worse then the voice codec on the Xbox Original. Plus nobody has a DS headset, so every time someone uses mic, all you hear are the game sounds.
    rubinek likes this.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

Blog Entries
    Follow Blue Dragon On Twitter
    Follow Blue Dragon on Tumblr

I prefer the battles in Gen 5 online compared to Gen 4, but sometimes I find it takes ages to find an opponent. It could be that there isin't that many people online at that time, or my internet connection, but still I do wish this was a bit faster.

I don't use GTS much at all because of the limitless possibilities of Pokemon people can trade. I also don't like how Pokemon like Froslass are rejected, when sending data for battles just because of sensors, when clearly there is nothing wrong with their names unless they are taken apart.

These are some of things they can improve on for sure.

Blog Entries

The GTS has been ruined by "Level 9 and under" Reshiram and Zekrom requests. They need to get somehow get rid of impossible requests like that.
    The addition of the GTS Negotiations was cool, but they need to make it easier for you to tell the other person what you want and easier to figure out what the other person wants.
    Battling is okay, but there's something about it that I don't like. I can't think of the reason why, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that I lose all the time when I battle online?

I guess they have to improve both. For battling, I would like to see random matchup with 6 versus 6, though it won't be very likely, and I'm not even sure why. Seems like we can all agree that GTS is just terrible for the infamous 'Reshiram 9 and under'.
    Pokemon Black FC: 2752 | 2583 | 3814

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The battle system is fine with me, but the GTS needs work.

I agree with what everyone else said aboit the GTS, but I will add one thing: they should add an option to search for people's requests.
    (ex. If you have an extra Eevee and want to get rid of it, you could look for people looking for an Eevee and see what they're offering.)
    rubinek and PKMN Trainer Faye like this.

Blog Entries

It could use some improvements.

I was super excited when I saw the random matchup. I wanted that back in Platinum. It's a great concept but could use some adjustments. Change it so that it penalizes regequitters, and improve the ranking so that I won't be battling the best EV trainer in history every time. At least they fixed the problem with ragequitting with the tournaments. I didn't get any quitters in the international challenge tournament.

The GTS needs some patches. First of all, remove the "level 9 and under" for every pokemon that cannot be at that level. Legendaries, evolved pokemon, every one that can't get that low. It's impossible to stop people from asking ridiculous trades outside of that though. Yeah, I want your Lucario, but I'm not trading you a level 100 Shaymin for it.
    I don't always resist, but when I do, it's with The Resistance. Stay resistant, my friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Defense
    After all, what is a Resistance member if he doesn't resist?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Well personally, if I was to do competitive battling, I'd probably stick to Shoddy or something.

Anyway, yes, the GTS needs a complete overhaul. Just like everyone else, I'm sick of seeing 'Lv.9 and under Reshiram' everywhere. Seriously, nearly every offer on GTS is asking for that. I don't remember it being that bad in Gen IV, though.

Blog Entries

No. In my opinion, they need to make a few improvements:

1. Removal of asking for things (on GTS) which are not legitimately possible. If it's not available at a certain level, you shouldn't be able to ask for it.
    2. Better hack detection. It's ridiculous how many hacked 'Mons you encounter both via Trading and Battling.
    3. A penalty for people who disconnect from battles. It should be counted as a loss for them and a win for the person who was affected.

These are the basic issues that need touching up. Some innovation would be nice, but I'd much rather they fix their current problems first.

Blog Entries

Angry Re: VG Weekly Poll #41 Are you content with Pokémon's online?

GTS is crap! All you find is so and so for Level 9 or under Reshiram!!! It's alway either unair or impossible trades. Like Tepig level 1 for Emboar level 100? Really? Train your Tepig yourself!

Blog Entries

Follow hurristat on Tumblr

Just like everyone else, I find the impossible requests on the GTS tiresome.
    The Dream World was boring, and I'm not a competitive battler, so...

Overall, the online experience was kind of lacking for me. I expect I'd use the features more were the DS able to use WPA encryption, but...

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

Default Re: VG Weekly Poll #41 Are you content with Pokémon's online capabilities?

Yeah, the main concern is of course the GTS allowing impossible requests. I don't know why Game Freak hasn't done anything about it.

Other than that though, the online features are sufficient at the moment at least. If you know what you're doing, the GTS can be quite useful, and although I don't use it much the battling functions also seem to do their job.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: VG Weekly Poll #41 Are you content with Pokémon's online capabilities?

The GTS has its fault entirely on user imput, though.

The problem with battling is on Nintendo's side of not setting up a proper online for a turn-based game.

Like, users being annoying is an inevitablility. There WILL always be unreasonable requests, and there WILL always be people disconnecting.
    However, punishing the users who are being hindered is not.

All you lose on the GTS are like, a few minutes. On battling Nintendo goes out of their way to (silently) blacklist you out of tournauments because they can't bother to set up proper connections to see who DC'd.
    Owain likes this.

[/overexposition]

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Mk-II
    There WILL always be unreasonable requests
    All you lose on the GTS are like, a few minutes.
    Well, there's unreasonable requests, and then there's IMPOSSIBLE requests. D8; Nearly 95% of the GTS is plagued with people asking for level-9-and-under Zek/Resh/other fully evolved Pokemon. I don't mind unreasonable requests, I can just hack the Pokemon they want if they think they can get stuff for free cheap and easy. But if I can't give them a level 1 Zek, they shouldn't be able to ask for it. I can't tell you how many HOURS of my life have been wasted on the GTS searching for at least ONE person not asking for a level 1 Zek/Resh. This is a very serious and stupid problem that shouldn't even exist in the first place.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast