VG Weekly Poll #33 Which type needs more attention? - Page 4

View Poll Results: Which type needs more attention?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fire

4 3.05%
  • Water

0 0%
  • Grass

6 4.58%
  • Electric

4 3.05%
  • Flying

0 0%
  • Rock

1 0.76%
  • Ground

1 0.76%
  • Steel

3 2.29%
  • Fighting

1 0.76%
  • Psychic

2 1.53%
  • Ghost

14 10.69%
  • Dark

12 9.16%
  • Normal

0 0%
  • Ice

22 16.79%
  • Dragon

3 2.29%
  • Poison

46 35.11%
  • Bug

7 5.34%
  • None. All is good.

5 3.82%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: VG Weekly Poll #33 Which type needs more attention?

Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

Default Re: VG Weekly Poll #33 Which type needs more attention?

Poison.

While Ghost may lack in numbers the ones we have are pretty good at what they do. But poison isn't doing anything productive, the move that might have given them some power is distributed to every Pokemon that can learn TMs. The only power they have competitively is absorbing Toxic Spikes. Forretress, a much more useful Pokemon, has it as an egg move. So, yeah.

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I am going to say that Ice needs the most attention. They are worse off compared to other types, due to their poor defensive typing (1 resistance is not going to compensate for 4 weaknesses, you know) despite immunity to Freeze, their main STAB being better off on Water-types (or other odd choices, such as Tyranitar) and how much Hail is beaten by other forms of weather. It doesn't help that most Ice-types are conceived as defensive users (although there are some good ones, like Regice and Walrein), which is not suited for their more offensive nature. Not only that, the are few Ice-types compared to most types!

Granted, there are some ways the Ice-types did improve, like the inclusion of better exclusive moves for them (Frost Breath and Icicle Crash), and the inclusion of some good Ice-types that are actually good, like Mamoswine and Cloyster (it was voted OU for four Generations, a rare feat for any Pokemon). Heck, some Ice abilities are great at making them tough to deal with, making Walrein and Froslass some of the best Hail abusers. However, in the grand scheme of things, Ice needs more attention.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@winstein Generation III only introduced two Ice type families: Snorunt and Spheal. That's how neglected Ice types are.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grass Type Trainer View Post
    @winstein Generation III only introduced two Ice type families: Snorunt and Spheal. That's how neglected Ice types are.
    I think that is because hoenn is based on a hotter region. Sinnoh being a colder region, had quite a few ice-types.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Nyx

The poison type tbh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CommandurrClowncrete View Post
    I think that is because hoenn is based on a hotter region. Sinnoh being a colder region, had quite a few ice-types.
    Did it though? The only original Ice family introduced in Sinnoh was Snover's. The other four Ice types were all evolutions of Pokemon from previous generations. You have Weavile (evo for Sneasel,) Glaceon (evo for Eevee,) Mamoswine (evo for Piloswine,) and Froslass (evo for Snorunt) and that's it for all the Ice types in Sinnoh.

I have to agree with the Ice-type niche. Water pretty much overshadows it all of the time, especially considering almost every Water-type has Ice Beam access.

I've also noticed how Rock-types are pretty much neglected, and are typically slammed in next to the Ground-type, which causes further neglect. I mean, the entire first Gen was filled with Rock-types having only that pairing. Then they do provide some gems like Gigalith, but others like Nosepass evolve and still maintain that uber 4x weakness to something. Rock has a very limited group of good type combos, and could definitely do with some improvement. Or just more pure Rock-types, because then we don't have to worry about 4x anything, and the defenses of Rock-types (typically) can cover well. I can see Rock/Ghost and Rock/Dragon as good new editions, and more Rock/Bug, Rock/Psychic, and Rock/Fighting types. Everything else equals one 4x weakness in one way or another (Rock/Electric, Rock/Poison, Rock/Ice).

Blog Entries

At least Rock types have Stealth Rock to boast about, which is amazing, so that's something.

1. Grass definitely needs a boost when it comes to movepools
    2. Poison needs to be able to hit more Pokemon
    3. Ice could use something like what Rock-types got in Sandstorm, but maybe with defense in the Hail, and a Swift Swim equivalent for Hail as well.
    I feel that the Ghost type is good as it is, it has many viable Pokemon, but maybe it could use a few more attacking moves.

Blog Entries

BUG, obviously.

And Poison.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    Honourable mentions go to special Rock types and physical Ghosts. Power Gem and Shadow Claw just don't cut it.
    For Ghosts, there is Shadow Punch, but it isn't exactly all that great. Accurate, but not all that powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by SONICバリヤ View Post
    I feel that the Ghost type is good as it is, it has many viable Pokemon, but maybe it could use a few more attacking moves.
    ^ THIS! Shadow Claw is a good move, but not every Ghost can learn it. (Sorry, Golurk...) Shadow Punch is wonderfully accurate, but doesn't have much in the way of power. Seriously, a few more physical Ghost moves would be greatly appreciated, so I voted Ghost.

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

The Dude Abides

Poison needs a rebalance of the type chart to make it strong against at least one other type besides grass. I think in Gen VI, fighting should be weak to poison. That would make poison like, 100 times more viable as a type.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I think that Poison types really needs more attention. They don't really have a lot of advantages in battle or a lot of good moves to choose from. The Poison type just hasn't gotten a good boost in terms of moves or in the number of useful Pokemon in the past five generations. Ice types would be a close second due to the lack of helpful moves for most of them, but I think that there are more useful Ice types than there are with Poison types.

Sine the Rotom formes lost their Ghost typing I've really missed the presence of a strong spinblocker in the tier and hope some time we get a good defensive ghost type.

I'd love a poison legendary because it is the only type not to have a legendary I think :)

Mainly Poison, Ice, Dragon, and Ghost.
    Poison - Make it super effective against bug, at the least.

Ice - Should be super effective against water, and should resist more than just 1 type. (maybe Grass?)

Dragon - Needs more balanced Pokemon, there's hardly any that aren't legendary/pseudo-legendary.

Ghost - I was pleased with the Gen V additions, but there needs to be something else like the Pokemon Tower in the next gen.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast