VG Weekly Poll #3: Favorite Generation? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Favorite generations?

Voters
242. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1st Generation

52 21.49%
  • 2nd Generation

76 31.40%
  • 3rd Generation

102 42.15%
  • 4th Generation

81 33.47%
  • 5th Generation

98 40.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VG Weekly Poll #3: Favorite Generation?

Blog Entries

Default Re: VG Weekly Poll #3: Favorite Generation?

Gen IV, mainly because that was when I started playing, but Gen V was close, because of the amazing music and the Team plasma storyline

Blog Entries

Picked Generation III and I in the poll (yes, in that order).

Generation III is what I consider to be the pinnacle of Pokemon games. The graphical changes it brought were astounding back then. I remember the shock I was in when I saw that the trainer actually throws the ball into the air, instead of it magically appearing out of nowhere. The minicons were a fun little addition which I greatly enjoyed. Gen III also seems to be the only gen where the dev team truly cared about the attack animations. Anyone remember Rollout, or Return? It was awesome to watch them rise in intensity. Or the fact that you could actually "see" the stat drops (in color!). Just awesome. The colour palette was extremely vivid compared to gen II. And lastly, you could finally see your reflection in a pool of water, footprints on sand, weather effects... I can go on forever.

Game mechanics changes it brought played an extremely important role in balancing the game, and formed a foundation for all of the modern Pokemon games. The revamped EV system, abilities, natures, vastly expanded Berry system, new weather effect (Hail) and (arguably) the advent of RNG abuse - that's all what the 3rd gen brought, and today players (including me) now cannot imagine their lives without them.

Going back to aesthetics, is no stretch to say that Hoenn is the most beautiful and diverse region of all. A volcano, a desert and a rainforest all on the same island? Poke-verse Tenerife anyone? Moreover, the scenery is not the only thing that defines Hoenn, it's also a region that's bursting with secrets waiting to be found - the Regi quest (I managed to figure it out myself actually!), the abandoned ship, Sky Pillar, Mirage Tower, "bike zones" (accessible by mudslides or white ramps), hell, even the starters final evolutions, as your rival never fully evolved his/her starter to begin with. Even some smaller things like the Mach Bike Race, Contests or Trick Master's House made the game all that much interesting to play.

But you know what? All of those great additions pale when compared to what I consider the single best thing to happen to the Pokemon series. I'm, of course, referring to the Battle Frontier. The sheer ass-kickery of this place cannot be described in a single post, so let me just say that BF is what brought me back to Pokemon after promising to myself to never pick it up again (it's a long story xD).

So, a perfect Gen? Not really, as all Pokemon games have their shortcomings and RSE is no exception. One thing that always annoyed me about Hoenn's Pokemon is that there seem to be quite a lot of filler mons, like Plusle/Minun, Volbeat/Illumise or even Latios/Latias. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Lati trio, and have nothing against the former four, but I feel that GF could easily combine them into a single Pokemon and call it a day. I also feel that Hoenn's regional dex is quite lacking. I would love if they could bump the Pokemon list up to 250 mons in the speculated remakes. Next, the music. I used to enjoy RSE soundtrack quite a lot back in 2003-2005, but now when I compare it to the other Gens, it just seems to be the worst of the bunch. The lack of connectivity to the older gens also hurts, but I guess it was done for the greater good (read: revamped stat system).

As for Generation I, I picked it mostly out of nostalgia (Blue was my first Pokemon game), but I'm quite convinced that they are great games as they are, despite all the glitches and horrifying (or hilarious, depending on how you look at them) sprites. I recently bought Green on eBay, and I enjoyed playing it just as much as in the older days. Gen I also gave us some interesting, often symbolic, or just plain good looking mons, like the starters, Mewtwo, Pikachu, Ninetales, Arcanine, the Nidos and many, many more.

That's what I think. Sorry for the tl;dr. :<
    White FC: 1678-3054-7710
    Black 2 FC: 3053 3827 7149

Black 2

Generation 2 still wins for me. Day/Night, new pokemon, how the storyline was a direct continuation of Gen. 1 and in terms of new features and originality, Generation 2's been my favorite Gen since I was a kid. It would be better to ask me what I think the 2nd best generation is.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

Blog Entries

Honestly, I'm not shocked that the 3rd generation is the most popular choice because it was like that last generation with Generation II. In Generation VI, it's likely Generation IV will be the popular choice. :D

I chose Generation III for its unique feel to it and overall awesomeness. Then the rest of the list goes in this order:
    II
    V
    IV
    I
    다시 니 품에 안기고 싶은 나
    dashi ni poome angigo shipeun na
    고개숙였어 입을 막아 버렸어
    gogaesookyeosseo ipeul maka beoryeosseo

아직아닌가봐 잊지 못했나봐
    ajikaningabwa itji mothaettnabwa
    내맘이 널 가슴이 널 놓치 못했나봐
    naemami neol gaseumi neol nohji mothaettnabwa
    그리웠었나봐 잡고 싶었나봐
    geuriweosseottnabwa japgo shipeottnabwa
    그날의 널 사랑한 널 보낼수가 없었나봐
    geunaleui neol saranghan neol bonaelsuga eopseottnabwa

I think I will have to go with gen I. For me as a first grader it was amazing, I spent so much time playing red, blue and yellow (yeah I had all 3 :P ) Also honestly in gen 1 Is the only gen where I remember all the cities, the gym leaders, the actually badge names, the music! I can't do much of that for any other generation. It just has stuck with me so much That I have to go with that as my favorite generation, I don;t think it will really change for me

Minion of the Damned cityvillain's Avatar

Generation I
    - The pokemons are more inspired and creative. The English names are all well thought too. The myths and false "cheats" were all very amusing.

Generation III would be the runner up.
    Kenta's Pokemon Party

For me it's a tie between Gen's II, IV, and V. Gen II is the first pokemon game I ever owned or played (and the first handheld game I even touched). Plus I loved the 8-bit music. Gen IV brought the physical/speical split which in my opinion, is the best thing to ever happen to pokemon. And Gen V is amazing to me because there is not one single pokemon that was introduced in it that I don't like.
    No. My post count isn't large. But that doesn't mean I don't lurk.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Gen II, for me, is the best. I still think it bought some of the best Pokémon, design-wise as well as usage-wise, and the story wasn't overly complicated. I like the storylines that the games have nowadays, but I still love the simple story of Gen I and II more - the "saving the world" stuff gets old quickly. I still play Silver sometimes, and I usually find myself playing it more often than Black or any of the more modern games. The music, too - I love the music from the old games much more than the stuff they use now.

Gen V by far. One of the main reasons is because once a new Gen is released, the old Gens are dead to me.
    My GPX+
    My 3DS FC is 5412-9933-2792.
    DON'T
    like my posts. It just annoys me.

Blog Entries

4th and 5th are my favorites. 4th for the new gameplay mechanics, 5th for its new Pokemon.

Blog Entries

2nd Generation is my favorite because it introduced many new and cool things like day and night and breeding. Also the gen 2 pokemon were cool (especially Ampharos).

Blog Entries

Follow Supa on Tumblr

The 1st generation is too important to me to not be consicered as a favourite generation. Not only for nostalgy shit, being the first generation of Pokémon it made my life what it is now: a Pokémon hobbyist. Also, the Pokémon are awesome.

Second comes the latest generation. I just love the Pokémon and the games and how this generation has freshened the franchise a little bit by having huge changes and differences compared to the earlier games. Oh, and N.

I had to chose IV because it was when I finally understood what everything was. Gen I was a close second.

Generation 2!! Cause Johto is my favorite region.

It's a tie between Gen. II and Gen. IV.
    I won't choose Gen. V until it's over.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast