VG Weekly Poll #27 Thoughts on Doctors and Nurse trainer classes? - Page 4

View Poll Results: Do you like the healing aspect of the Doctor and Nurse trainer classes?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Such a relief.

99 86.84%
  • Don't really care.

10 8.77%
  • No! Makes things too easy.

5 4.39%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: VG Weekly Poll #27 Thoughts on Doctors and Nurse trainer classes?

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: VG Weekly Poll #27 Thoughts on Doctors and Nurse trainer classes?

Now this is an excellent question. I think inherently, they're a good idea. Having extra healing spots throughout the game is a good thing, especially on long routes and dungeons where the nearest Pokemon Center is light years away. Best of all, you have to earn them by beating them in a battle, which adds a sort of challenge to them. However, I think it is the frequency of healing spots in 5th gen that is problematic, not the Doctors and Nurses themselves. For instance, on Rt. 7, you can heal in one of the houses there, and yet there's healing spots in Mistralton City and Celestial Tower. The Pokemon Center in Mistralton and the Nurse in Celestial Tower are useful because of their location, but the one on Rt. 7 is not. It gets pretty absurd in some cases, the most extreme example I can think of is Rt. 4 in BW2. You have the Pokemon Centers in Castelia and Nimbasa, you have a rest house near the entrance to Desert Resort, and you have Nurses within Desert Resort proper and in Join Avenue after you reach Rank 4. All within the span of two relatively close cities. Do we really need that many? So no, Doctors and Nurses are fine, we just need to keep them in spots where it's too far or takes too long to go back to the nearest Pokemon Center.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I think that they're a huge relief. They save time from either retracing my steps back to the Pokemon Center or flying to the nearest one when most of my Pokemon are low on health/PP and I'm low on items. They were especially helpful in Charestone Cave, Victory Road and Black Tower/White Treehallow.
    FinalArcadia likes this.

some kind of madness TwilightBlade's Avatar Moderator

I find great peace and comfort whenever I find a doctor/nurse. I can then use the surrounding area as a training hotspot since I always have that one Pokemon that's not pulling its own weight. I also like having the doctors/nurses around to cure status conditions and restore PP. I don't carry those particular kind of healing items most of the time.
    trade station
    art gallery
    ❝In this world, there are things you have to protect even if your hands get stained with blood.❞

I generally agree that Doctors/Nurses are a welcome sight on long routes and dungeons (like Chargestone Cave and Reversal Mountain), however I get a bit tired of seeing one pretty much everywhere I go -- mainly the overland routes, and especially after you get Fly and can just zip back over to a Pokemon Center at any time.

It's a far cry from, say, that Marsh Cave in Final Fantasy 1. That dungeon was a long way out of the nearest village (and through forests and marshes filled with stronger-than-grassland monsters), several floors with excruciating (for your level) enemies, several treasure chests guarded by monster encounters ... I distinctly remember limping back out of that cave with less than half my team still alive, virtually no ability to heal whatsoever and somehow surviving long enough to actually make it back to town. The feeling of accomplishment you get for surviving difficult ordeals like that....

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like them, especially in a cave or mountain when it will be a while before you reach a center. I don't think that they make the game that much easier or "too easy" in this case, since it isn't like they are on every long route.
    Jenneta likes this.

Silver Strategician LadyScathach's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It doesn't really matter to me. Sure it would take a bit more backtracking to heal if they didn't, but the PokeCenters aren't going anywhere.

Though to be quite honest, I thought this was about the gender-locked classes. That is an aspect that bothers me, though. Why can't guys be nurses and girls by doctors?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234