VG Weekly Poll #27 Thoughts on Doctors and Nurse trainer classes? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Do you like the healing aspect of the Doctor and Nurse trainer classes?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Such a relief.

99 86.84%
  • Don't really care.

10 8.77%
  • No! Makes things too easy.

5 4.39%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: VG Weekly Poll #27 Thoughts on Doctors and Nurse trainer classes?

Follow SaintDynamite On Twitter
    Follow SaintDynamite on Tumblr

Default Re: VG Weekly Poll #27 Thoughts on Doctors and Nurse trainer classes?

I think they were useful as a time saver more than anything. There have always been random places to heal in Pokemon games, in rest houses or Pokemon Tower's sacred spot. I think of the Doctor and Nurses as just a natural, albeit more frequently occurring, extension of those ideas. And they take up less space on a route.

SaintDynamite

I certainly like that they heal your pokemon so you dont have tpo walk all the way back through a difficult area to get healed. I think that they should be made into harder battles though so you really have to earn there healing skills

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulmaster On Twitter
    Visit Soulmaster's Youtube Channel

They have been lifesavers many times but sometimes they can be annoying

Credit for the Banner goes to Pyradox. Link to URPG stats
    Mafia Win/Lose Tally
    Black FC: 1506 9762 7606: White 2 FC: 2967-6420-8683: My Fanclub
    Winner of LOST mafia, My Little Pony: Friendship is Mafia 2, Bloons Tower Defense 5 Mafia, Fos Ro Mafia, Legendary Pokemon Mafia, War Room Mafia 5, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Mafia, Pokemon Movie Mafia
    Writer's Workshop Moderator

Definitely an "F" ticket! Shiny Porygon's Avatar

Doctors and nurses do provide a nice bit of variety among trainer classes on routes, but there should really have been other trainers to balance the free healing they provide. I'm thinking Gamblers/PI's spamming OHKO moves, more Poison-type users (with the old out-of-field poisoning mechanics, when poisoning was more than just a non-stat-changing burn) like the Ninja Boys...

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by H-con View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    The routes have always been easy. All the doctors and nurses do is save time so you don't have to backtrack to heal. I can't see how that actually makes things easier when it's just as easy to backtrack to a Pokemon Center, it's just tedious to do so.
    Yes, let's make everything ridiculously inconvenient because the games are too ~*~easy~*~ now.
    And so what? It should be tedious to backtrack, otherwise there's no real aspect of conserving your strength. Do you remove your progress on the route to heal or do you push on (not that it's hard to use potions for that matter, money isn't hard to come by either, so that's no real excuse if you ask me)? Removing item cap in bag, removing poison fainting and then removing damage outside of battle altogether and then putting in healing stations in routes that certainly don't need them to get through.

Level grinding shouldn't be fixed by putting healing stations onto routes. It should get fixed by making it much less required, quick up the length of routes and more NPCs on the way as well. Not by making it easier to grind in an area.

However, I'd rather have nurses and doctors spread all around the routes if the routes actually got bigger and more complex (and no, I don't care about the game getting too "difficult", there's plenty of games harder than that aimed at the target audience, so saying it's too hard is comparable to being lazy). At least I can ignore the healing-function they give.
    annoying =/= harder. period. And this comes from an avowed hater of b/w.

I really find the nurse at celestial tower useful. she helps me immensely while ev training for special attack.
    Last edited by Lord Clowncrete; 8th February 2012 at 12:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Quote Originally Posted by CommandurrClowncrete View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H-con View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    The routes have always been easy. All the doctors and nurses do is save time so you don't have to backtrack to heal. I can't see how that actually makes things easier when it's just as easy to backtrack to a Pokemon Center, it's just tedious to do so.
    Yes, let's make everything ridiculously inconvenient because the games are too ~*~easy~*~ now.
    And so what? It should be tedious to backtrack, otherwise there's no real aspect of conserving your strength. Do you remove your progress on the route to heal or do you push on (not that it's hard to use potions for that matter, money isn't hard to come by either, so that's no real excuse if you ask me)? Removing item cap in bag, removing poison fainting and then removing damage outside of battle altogether and then putting in healing stations in routes that certainly don't need them to get through.

Level grinding shouldn't be fixed by putting healing stations onto routes. It should get fixed by making it much less required, quick up the length of routes and more NPCs on the way as well. Not by making it easier to grind in an area.

However, I'd rather have nurses and doctors spread all around the routes if the routes actually got bigger and more complex (and no, I don't care about the game getting too "difficult", there's plenty of games harder than that aimed at the target audience, so saying it's too hard is comparable to being lazy). At least I can ignore the healing-function they give.
    annoying =/= harder. period. And this comes from an avowed hater of b/w.

I really find the nurse at celestial tower useful. she helps me immensely while ev training for special attack.
    that deffinatly seems helpful! I hadn't even thought of that!

Noble shine! Likeitornot.'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Oh, yeah. A life and cash saver, a great combination.
    However, I did always find it creepy with the ones in the caves... would you allow a stranger claiming to be a doctor/nurse to heal your 'Mons in a cave realistically? Oh well, that's just another joy of Pokemon I guess.
    "I shall have some peace there for peace comes
    dropping slow."
    - Lake Isle of Innisfree, W.B Yeats.

Serenity is key
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen View Post
    For me, they were a total relief and time & money saver. I didn't have to go all the way back to the pokemon center in the middle of a dungeon, and they saved a lot of my potions and revives. I could train around them and use them all I want XDD
    This. It would've been a horrendous time/money waste if, say, you had to exit Celestial Tower, go to Mistralton, heal, and then go all the way back.
    Crack some heads for me, darlings. Thank you, and good night.

Blog Entries

Follow hurristat on Tumblr

I'm a wimp, so I love them. If I were a purist, I'd absolutely hate them... but I'm lazy and like to use them instead of trudging all the way back to the Pokemon Center.

The Original Sylveon The Guardian Sylveon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes it is a relief because I don't have to fly all the way to a Pokémon Center then walk back to where I originally was it also saves money on Potions and such forth.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

Didn't use them thta much, but I like that the option is there.

Blog Entries

They're godsend. It's painful and tedious enough to have to trudge to a cave and endure all those unwanted encounters, but having to go all the way back to the Pokémon Center whenever your 'mons faint (and having to endure the cave all over again to get back to where you were) too makes it downright hellish. I use them a lot.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Berry Incinerator Heatmor C. Dawson's Avatar

They're very helpful on really difficult routes, but what I really want is a Quack: a bad guy that mimics a Doctor, but instead of healing, he infects a random Pokemon with a random status ailment after battle. It'd be the Pokemon version of a chest mimic! Those things are awesome.

Minion of the Damned cityvillain's Avatar

I really appreciate their availability in an area. A minor suggestion to improve their AI and pokemons. Nonetheless, I like them.
    The one that annoys me so much are the Pokemon Breeders!
    Kenta's Pokemon Party

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Really helpful in places like Chargestone Cave, Twist Mountain, and both Unova Victory Roads. They're also extremly helpful for experience if they happen to have Audino, Chansey, or Blissey,
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast