VG Weekly Poll #1: Was Black and White a Step in the Right Direction? - Page 6

View Poll Results: Was Black and White a step in the right direction?

Voters
254. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they were a step forward

171 67.32%
  • No, they were a step back

15 5.91%
  • Both

61 24.02%
  • Neither

7 2.76%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: VG Weekly Poll #1: Was Black and White a Step in the Right Direction?

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: VG Weekly Poll #1: Was Black and White a Step in the Right Direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    It was probably because they wanted the new generation of kids to navigate through the game better.
    Which was a bullshit move to begin with, I never had problems with the games when I was a kid, why would the current gen? They catered towards the little kids way too much in this game.

And if you wanted a difficult game, they gave you the option of selecting Challenge mode.
    Not really, since the only way to start off with Challenge Mode is to get someone who's already beaten Black 2 (and it HAS to be Black 2) to send you the key by Infrared.

Besides, Challenge Mode wouldn't fix all of the things they ruined in this game to make it more "kid friendly", like regional design. We need regional design back up to Hoenn/Sinnoh standards.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Default Re: VG Weekly Poll #1: Was Black and White a Step in the Right Direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    It was probably because they wanted the new generation of kids to navigate through the game better.
    Which was a bullshit move to begin with, I never had problems with the games when I was a kid, why would the current gen? They catered towards the little kids way too much in this game.

And if you wanted a difficult game, they gave you the option of selecting Challenge mode.
    Not really, since the only way to start off with Challenge Mode is to get someone who's already beaten Black 2 (and it HAS to be Black 2) to send you the key by Infrared.

Besides, Challenge Mode wouldn't fix all of the things they ruined in this game to make it more "kid friendly", like regional design. We need regional design back up to Hoenn/Sinnoh standards.
    The story wasn't kid friendly, though. The region, maybe.... but they had a good story to appeal. A dad who brainwashed his kid for his selfish reasons isn't exactly sunshine and rainbows for children, no?
    This show knows

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The story wasn't kid friendly, though. The region, maybe.... but they had a good story to appeal. A dad who brainwashed his kid for his selfish reasons isn't exactly sunshine and rainbows for children, no?
    Not a fair trade off.

Good storyline is great, but having good regional design is more important.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraa View Post
    I think it was a step backwards, especially with the "start from a new beginning" slogan. Like Gaara said, the levels were much lower than they were in the previous generation, which made the game seem much easier. The story itself also didn't seem to compare to DPPt's to me either. The idea of destroying the entire universe and creating another one just seems more threatening than stealing Pokemon to take over just one reigon in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    The gyms don't go past three Pokemon (highest is Drayden/Iris's lv43 Haxorus compared to Volkner's lv49 Luxray (DP) or lv50 Electivire (Pt)) and the Elite Four all have four Pokemon at the same levels (and I know this is because they can be challenged in any order....which I also felt was a step back). And they don't go past 50 compared to DPPt which are in the high 50s(Pt) and 60s(DP) and each member has five Pokemon. As for the final battle, Ghetsis's Hydreigon was at lv54, compared to Cynthia's lv62 Garchomp in Platinum (66 in DP).
    I hated the shorter gym rosters as well. Although BW1 could probably get away with the excuse that there's less variety due to a smaller Pokedex, BW2 doesn't have that excuse. There's no way they couldn't have come up with 4 Pokemon for the late game gym leaders (like, Skyla onwards) and 5 Pokemon for the Elite 4. The Elite 4 in BW2 were especially disappointing because they were basically the same as BW1 despite having twice the number of options for Pokemon, and yet they're still sticking with the same Pokemon they did in BW1 (with the exception of Shauntal swapping out her Jellicent for a Drifblim, and even then I'm pretty sure the only reason they did that was because Jellicent was Marlon's main in BW2).

Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    So it seemed to me that BW was less of a challenge and had a bit of a level cap. Not as bad as Johto (final gym is mostly late 30s and its only difficultly lies in the fact that it's a dragon gym), but still somewhat of a step back, in my opinion.
    At least Johto has an excuse, the Johto gym leaders and Elite 4 were weaker because the Pokemon League was essentially the halfway point in the game, not the end. The Elite 4 in BW1 doesn't have that excuse, it's the weakest Elite 4 in history based on its position in the game.
    It was probably because they wanted the new generation of kids to navigate through the game better. Despite that, the AI had been tough - many had trouble with Ghetsis in BW. Besides, the AI of B2W2 had been impressive as well - some NPCs using held items like Life Orb (Ghetsis) or Eviolite (Colress). And if you wanted a difficult game, they gave you the option of selecting Challenge mode.
    I agree that BW2 was a little better, but since the question was about the first BW, I didn't want to get off topic by comparing them. And Challenge Mode is helpful, but unless you have someone who's already beat the game (which I unfortunately didn't), it can't be accessed until after you beat the game.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456