VG Weekly Poll #1: Was Black and White a Step in the Right Direction? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Was Black and White a step in the right direction?

Voters
254. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they were a step forward

171 67.32%
  • No, they were a step back

15 5.91%
  • Both

61 24.02%
  • Neither

7 2.76%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: VG Weekly Poll #1: Was Black and White a Step in the Right Direction?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries
    Follow Ferbgor On Twitter Add Ferbgor on Facebook

Default Re: VG Weekly Poll #1: Was Black and White a Step in the Right Direction?

I think Black and White were steps in the right direction (especially the reusable TMs), but there were a few problems I had like:
    The removal of the HGSS style menu for the useless C-Gear.
    No Gym Leader rematches.
    Items not being transferable (there goes my plethora of berries that are just going to rot in HG).
    Black City and White Forest.

The good does outweigh the bad, but I'm going with both.

Default Re: VG Weekly Poll #1: Was Black and White a Step in the Right Direction?

Personally I am satisfied with the job done on Black & White. I do think this was a large step in the right direction, mainly because the designers tried to create characters that would appeal to the older fans, and that was a wise decision. There was also a significant improvement with the story and to me that's a high plus too. And while there are some steps backwards as pointed here and there, when I played the game none of them annoyed me for real.

Blog Entries

Speaking from a long-time fan POV, Black and White was a "two steps forward, seven steps back" gen for me. Let's start with the pros:

- 60 framerate is back, finally!
    - seasons are cool
    - vastly improved plotline. It's not PMD, but it sure as hell outclasses the other main games.
    - tons of new, good-looking Pokemon, but most importantly, no useless evolutions/pre-evolutions, which is what pissed me off in 4th gen
    - unlimited TMs
    - nice soundtrack. I cannot think of a single song I didn't like.
    - various visual improvements - realistic looking cities, gorgeous bridges, moving sprites (hell yes!), dynamic camera movements

The cons? Well, here we go:

- horrible starters, both aesthetically and functionally
    - almost completely ruined Wi-Fi. Lack of autolevel in Wi-Fi battles. No improvements to GTS (you can still ask for lv.9 Kyogres and stuff). Retarded Random Match-up mode, while good in theory, sucks in practice with bazilions of disconnectors lurking at every corner.
    - story mode is considerably easier, even by Pokemon standards. It might not be apparent at first, but think about it - critical capture, free Lucky Egg, no poison damage outside of a battle, nurse or doctor on almost every route... and to think that 10-12 years ago, Poke Balls could miss on a sleeping legendary (ok, that was annoying and it's probably good they took this feature out, but just as an example). I was actually quite disheartened when I realised this, as I enjoy challenging games.
    - the Unova region is... I don't know... lacking in the adventure feel. It is like, once you walk through a given route, you might as well never come back, because chances are, you've already seen everything that is there to see. The routes are as simple as simple a route can be. There are very few off-road locations. From the top of my head, I can only think of Mistralton Cave and the few water routes on the south. Special mention goes to eastern part of the region, which is exceptionally boring.
    - while the Pokemon themselves are good, the sad truth is that most of them are expys of previous generations, mainly generation I. The topic has been beaten to death, so I will not list any examples.
    - horrible sidegames (Dream World and Pokemon Musicals).
    - kinda useless Poke-gadget this time around (the C-Gear)
    - as someone else pointed out, lack of serious game mechanic changes. Maybe besides Triples and Rotations, but those are rather unpopular.

It seems as though GameFreak had some pretty good ideas (namely Random Match-ups, Rotations, hell, even Dream World), but kinda failed at making them work. I hope that the 3rd version will fix at least some of them, because as it stands, B/W are one of my least liked Pokemon games.

Picked "Both" in the poll btw.
    Zspara and Lord Clowncrete like this.

I'd say so. For me the point where it really shines through is when i look at the storyline and N's character. And while I like the old setup of the Elite 4 I didn't mind being able to choose the order in which I battled them either.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

Blog Entries

Forward.

Expies or not, the Pokémon felt more original after spending enough time with them. The story is greatly improved and far more mature (while still avoiding the E10 rating).
    At the same time, even while deconstructing some of the elements, it never stopped feeling like Pokémon. In no way is that a bad thing. And it looked better than ever while doing it.

Seriously, them graphics. Music too. Numeva town is surprisingly nostalgic for being so new.

Anyway, sorry to bore you. In all, I'd say Sugimori succeeded in that "masterpiece game" that he wanted to make from the ground up, and Grey (or whatever it is) will improve on it even more.
    Owain likes this.

I was really despised by the linearity of the game. You had almost no freedom in exploring and badges were pretty useless as you had to get them all in one order. The gameplay is strikingly similiar to Gen IV's and most of the new features were small or hard to notice. The storyline or graphics haven't impressed me, either. Personally I think Gen V is the worst generation in history, and they have taken a step back from HGSS.
    Lord Clowncrete likes this.

Blog Entries

Thank you for voting! Please feel free to continue discussion.
    3DS FC: 1203-9389-8130

DCM
    Blog Entries

backwards.

the games are significantly easier. The Gym Leaders are incredibly easy to beat, and you never run out of TMs, taking out the aspect of "I should probably think through who I'm going to use this on". The games are clearly aimed towards an audience that need an easier game, which is not something I approve of. In addition, WiFi battling was nerfed.

I do, however, enjoy the story more than any other pokemon game.
    “And as to you life, I reckon you are the leavings of many deaths, No doubt I have died myself ten thousand times before.”

W.W.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyumorph on Tumblr

I voted step in the right direction. The only thing that irked me was the removal of the Running Shoes toggle. That, and Alomomola not being a Luvdisc evo.

It was definitely a step forward for me in terms of storyline and gameplay. But as another person said, Unova was just very linear. I mean really, Unova was just one big circle. Also I was a bit sad that the companion Pokemon feature from HG/SS didn't make a comeback, but then again it would be a bit frustrating to create 156 more overworld sprites. Lol. So yeah Unova was a big improvement for me.
    Proud Sonic and Pokemon fan!

Deviantart: JohnSLPaul

2ds FC: 1478-4291-7605
    Friend Safari Type: Fairy

Now with more Dark DarkDragonite's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoirTHECHA View Post
    My vote went both:
    Step-forward:
    • X button use to exit menus quickly
    • The shift in the camera angle to create a better 3D effect
    • The added movement to pokemon, this made them seem more real to me
    • The addition of seasons, I liked this one a lot because it made Unova feel more like a place
    • The dream world
    • The fact that Tms are now permanent items
    • Expanding the box system

Step-backwards:
    • The removal of the Vs. Seeker, yes there is the stadiums now but they aren't enough.
    • I liked some of the gimmicky stuff, like pokemon walking with you and no B button holding to run
    • post game activity, but the third game will always improve on that.
    I agree with alot of this. I wanted my Victini to walk with me.
    I don't calculate stat values, nor do I care about natures. I just catch my Pokemon the way they are, and play the game normally. If you agree copy and paste this into your sig.

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think in most ways it was a huge step forwards such as the better plot and faster battles but in some ways it was also a step backwards in things like no Vs seeker.

I just don't know, I hate most of the new pokemon, I hate how them ap looks.. I'm just more a fan of the oldschool stuff, like HGSS or DPPT. Old graphics look in my opinion better, I think it's annoying that the pokemon move around a lot. In BW they've ruined some of the sprites, and some functions are gone. I think if I could choose between BW or HGSS I would choose HGSS.
    proud owner of
    • Pokémon DPPt
    • Pokémon HGSS
    • Pokémon Black

now playin' Pokémon Leafgreen/Pokémon Emerald

overall it was a step in the right direction, i liked to big storyline and how they got the gym leaders involved, and i thought it was good that the legendaries were easier to catch, doing the same thing for an hour was tedious in previous games.

I didn't like some of the designs of the pokemon, especially vanilluxe, and I thought the gym leaders were too easy, I remember in previous games there was always one or two gyms it took me a while to beat (Whitney HGSS, Norman, and Tate and Liza in RSE)
    3DS FC: 2638 0331 2172

I didn't answer the poll. Black & White is a wonderful game, imaginative new pokemon, a plot that you dont forget the second enemies aren't around, and an environment that changes without feeling mashed together. A very complete experience, and well paced. But the changes to game mechanics are just different, not really better or worse, and I wasnt impressed by the new battle modes. So it depends on the question, as my opinion of Gen 5 is much more reserved than the games themselves.
    When i was little i thought every pokemon family was three step. still coming to grips with the sad truth...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast