VG Weekly Poll #1: Was Black and White a Step in the Right Direction?

View Poll Results: Was Black and White a step in the right direction?

Voters
254. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they were a step forward

171 67.32%
  • No, they were a step back

15 5.91%
  • Both

61 24.02%
  • Neither

7 2.76%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: VG Weekly Poll #1: Was Black and White a Step in the Right Direction?

Blog Entries

Default VG Weekly Poll #1: Was Black and White a Step in the Right Direction?

Welcome to the first installment in the Video Games Forum's new weekly series of polls!

Centered around the Pokemon series of video games, these polls will be based on the various different aspects of the popular video game franchise. Every Friday, a Video Games staff member will post a new poll that'll remained stickied up on top of the forum. Suggestions for polls and questions can be sent to Life Alert, and they could possibly used for new polls (credit will be given, of course).

With that out of the way, here is the poll: Was Black and White a Step in the Right Direction? Do you feel that the additions, modifications, and refinements made in the first two Fifth Generation games were for the better, or for the worse?

Thank you for voting!

-The Video Games Forum Staff
    3DS FC: 1203-9389-8130

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Default Re: VG Weekly Poll #1: Was Black and White a Step in the Right Direction?

I think some of them were. Id wished for the addition of Seasons for years, it just made sense that they'd be added. However Im dissapoined that some were taken away, so in a way it was a step backwards as well.
    Glaziola and Eevee Eggs like this.

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

Default Re: VG Weekly Poll #1: Was Black and White a Step in the Right Direction?

The only major irk I had with Black and White was the linearity of Unova, although I commend them for allowing you to completely finish the main story only using one HM. Everything else was a step forward.
    Glaziola and Pronged Pickle like this.

Too much good stuff and few complaints = good overall.
    Glaziola likes this.

Blog Entries

yes expect if you want to do a full pokedex and you don't have a past game/online
    I'm not here
    This isn't happening
    I'm not here

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

"A Step in the Right Direction" as in?

I think story-wise, it was a step in the right direction. In Pokémon, we've had the "big bad boss" but we've never really had an antagonist that interests the player (other than fanboys/fangirls, who 1 second of screen-time appears as 2 years). N was definitely what the franchise needed. However, in terms of controls etc, I felt like BW was a step back from HGSS, which had the awesome use of the touch screen (In BW, we only have the C-Gear for that...). The "No old Pokémon before you cross the bridge" thing was a fantastic idea though, and I'll be honest, I enjoy battling with Unova Pokémon more than I do with old Pokémon.

For people saying the game is too linear...try playing Ranger: Guardian Signs. The amount of back-tracking there is a real pain in the bum.

Yes,B/W were a step forward from D/P,introducing new concepts,but retaining the feeling especially with the new Pokemon designs. They're a combination of good stuff from Gen.II and III introducing new battle mechanics,but not having awful design.

Mama, we all go to hell. TheCapsFan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow TheCapsFan on Tumblr

I agree with Joshawott. Storywise, step forward. Controls, step back.

However, I think that musicwise, it was a step forward. All the new sound effects instead of that boring "Click" sound. And that new music when your Pokemon has very little HP left? LOVIN IT!

Also, the fact that they released it for the DS instead of the 3DS was both a step forward and a step back. For Nintendo, it was a step back, because making B/W on the list of 3DS games released at the same time as the system would have definitely boosted 3DS sales. For the customers, it was a bit of a step forward so they didn't have to waste $250 for a new system, just to get a single game.

So, my vote goes to Both.

Video Games Modegator GatoRage's Avatar Moderator
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Follow GatoRage on Tumblr

There were plenty of improvements, especially story-wise, as well as animation and graphics.
    Reusable TM's was a great addition.
    The controls were definitely not as good as in Hg/Ss though.

Blog Entries

Everything was great from the story, characters, Pokemon, animation etc. The only negative I would say are the details like the controls of the touch screen, bag setup etc. Though Gen V is a step up from its prequels.

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

Black and White was a step in the right direction, although some aspects of the game isn't winning any awards for creative thinking, especially the plot and pst-game content.

They implemented seasons, but there's clearly much more to get here. I was rather disappointed to see the lack of use of this new addition, considering they could made it a lot more interesting. Still, I think it's better to have it as it is now than not to have it. They also removed dependence to previous generations pokémon-wise, which was a definite step forward if you ask me. There's nothing wrong with using old pokémon, but it's even better to showcase the new. GS and DP failed at this (Platinum made somewhat amends for DP's sake though), Hoenn was ... better, but not quite there, but not seeing a single Ratata, Zubat and Tentacool felt pretty good.

The lack of post-game content isn't a step in any direction really, a step backwards from FrLg and GSCHGSS, though the lack of interesting things to do in pokémon after the E4 is nothing new.

The plot was disappointing to say the least, but I don't play the games for the plot (fortunately), if I want to play a rich story, I way better games, so it's no bother. I still think they should mix up the plot, I have yet to figure out exactly why there has to be an evil team. Can't they think of any other plot-lines that don't involve an evil team and/or an legendary pokémon that is the mascot?

The TMs was a step in the right direction. It does take away some of the pleasure I get when I have hoarded a bunch of TMs though... Music-wise, I'm not very impressed, but they weren't bad either. I only dislike the low HP music though. I also think the overall graphics are a step in the right direction, especially in battle, viewing the entirety of your pokémon as well.

Get those Devil Horns up Magmortar123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really think it was a step forward. I appreciate all the changes like full back sprites and animated sprites. I also like that I can actually have WiFi battles with anyone.
    My stats
    BMGF Mentor Program!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Springer
    Would you dance on a Czechoslovakian?
    I strongly support DaniHime (Me X Orihime)

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

They left out a lot of the things that made HGSS so good. I'm talking about minor changes. But some of the additions are really good ones too.

Blog Entries

My vote went both:
    Step-forward:
    • X button use to exit menus quickly
    • The shift in the camera angle to create a better 3D effect
    • The added movement to pokemon, this made them seem more real to me
    • The addition of seasons, I liked this one a lot because it made Unova feel more like a place
    • The dream world
    • The fact that Tms are now permanent items
    • Expanding the box system

Step-backwards:
    • The removal of the Vs. Seeker, yes there is the stadiums now but they aren't enough.
    • I liked some of the gimmicky stuff, like pokemon walking with you and no B button holding to run
    • post game activity, but the third game will always improve on that.
    Curryman likes this.
    Saudade

Egg Hatcher/Shiny Catcher gatherlikestorms's Avatar

I thought B/W was a step in the right direction for the most part, especially with the Dream World. However, I do wish the Vs. Seeker was reintroduced, and that they'd fix the ridiculousness of the GTS with the lv.9 and under legendaries, etc.
    SOUL SILVER FC: 1463-8097-8410
    BLACK/WHITE FC: 1807-4001-4384

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast