Very Few New Pokémon - Page 2

View Poll Results: Are there too few new Pokemon?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • There's not enough

61 45.86%
  • I think the amount is fine

56 42.11%
  • Don't really care :P

16 12.03%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Very Few New Pokémon

Default Re: Very Few New Pokémon

It is one of the many disappointments of this generation. If feels weird that im saying that considering the fact that my favorite generation is the most despised by pokemon fans(gen 4). But the whole mega evos are new pokemon thing feels like a massive cop out.
    W2 fc 0090-1062-6863 mj
    w fc 0176-0145-6014 mj

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

There definitely were too few. I play pokemon mainly for the pokemon, so not getting new ones is very frustrating. After playing through both X and Y once, I've pretty much used up all the pokemon that interest me, and that was with using old starters in one slot with each of those teams. I posted largely about this in the rant thread, but it just seems like many pokemon could have easily been expanded lines, and the spread of types was shit giving us absolutely no remarkable pokemon of some types such as bug and ground.

Here's hoping we get an expansion this gen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivysaur View Post
    It's a comparatively small number, but we have so many Pokemon now but there's really no reason to keep pumping out 100+ every few years. Besides, Gen V was so short and at the same time had a ton of new ones, so I don't mind that we didn't get too many this time. And the Megas sorta help make up for it, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Spheal View Post
    hold on, searching for a fuck to give
    It's just a poll. No reason to be rude.
    i was'nt trying to be, i was stating my opinion.

first class asshole

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

I'm disappointed to see that there's not a lot of new Pokemon this time, but I can understand why GameFreak did this. It had to take a lot of time to make 3D models for every single Pokemon out there. The next game might bring more to the table since there are hints of another new region and GameFreak now has the majority of the models they'll need. :)

Crying Baby 'Roach Slayer Eternal Shadows's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, there's 69 (>:3), well, 72 if Diancie, Volcanion and Hoopa are real (due to the fact their names were leaked with the likes of the middle and last forms of the Kalos starters, and Bunnelby, and the GTS treat their names like they're legit (I managed to deposit a Lv. 21 Female Snubull for a 'Hoopa', look it up! :) ), I severely doubt their fake), and that's not counting the Mega Evos. Including those, that brings us up to Johto-Sinnoh levels. Not too bad.

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There are fewer than we expected, but it doesn't bother me. Why? Because I like every single one of them. I'm serious, I don't really have a problem with any of these Pokemon.

For once, I have a desire to use every Pokemon they introduced of the (currently) 69.

Compared to Gen V, which introduced the most Pokemon of all Generations. Yet, every time I replay those games, I generally use the same Pokemon over and over. Not that I dislike many of them, but I've never really had an interest in using any of them.

In this aspect, Gen VI's 69 is better than Gen V's 156.
    Aonshinzo and Baka-kun like this.

Blog Entries

I'm fine with a low number. But 69 (possibly 70)? That's too low imo. It's understandable why the number is low: short Gen 5 with 150+ mons, Megas, and the creating of 3D models from scratch. But I still would have liked a dozen or two more.

I will say that it does make the games unique in a way, so I am happy about that.
    Baka-kun likes this.

I can't grasp you at all Rainbow's Avatar

Visit Rainbow's Youtube Channel

I'm pretty disappointed. I understand there was a lot of work to be done with 3D modeling, but still. I'm not expecting them to introduce 150+ Pokemon each gen, but even something like 80 or 90 would've made a big difference. The main annoyance for me is things like running into old Pokemon more than new Pokemon.

I want to be drowned in this beloved
    Melancholy

Follow bluestarfish on Tumblr

I thought I would be disappointed at first because I'm all for the creatures, but I'm not too bothered by it now that I've played. Getting to play with all sorts of pokemon from every generation from the very start (rather than having to wait till post game) was actually pretty fun and has the end effect of making the entire region feel really diverse. I was worried it would feel like gen 4 all over again (oddly empty and boring because of the way pokemon were distributed).

I feel like the engine is very solid also, it's fairly fast (other than occasional slow down in graphic heavy areas/battles) and there's a lot of attention to detail. I feel excited already for whatever game they make next knowing how much they improved on their engine with each game from gen 4 to 5 on the DS. It probably is a long shot, but it'd be cool if they end up making their "third" version have more new pokemon and an expanded upon region (or a new one I dunno). It seems like this game is a really good spring board for some really cool stuff in the future.

Follow Yamitora1 On Twitter
    Follow Yamitora1 on Tumblr

I think it was somewhat due to the time table they gave themselves. Maybe if they had more time..idk.

I do think that we'll see more Pokémon in the third version or sequels. Its been a long time since they actually ended the dex with the Mascot Due/Trio. I expect to see at least a Mew equivalent added on.

Gen I: Mew
    Gen II: Celebi
    Gen III: Jurachi
    Gen IV: Manaphy, Phione and Shaymin
    Gen V: Victini
    Gen VI: ???

He's Amphabulous! Bayushiyojiro's Avatar

i liked that they put more effort into things like super training and pokemon amie.. and the fun online capabilities (like wonder trade!)
    "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." -Karen

all gens have their purpose and place (except hoenn, screw hoenn)

Winged man prefers night Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
    Blog Entries

69 or 72 new Pokémon (if the rumores turn true), look very short compared to previous generations. However, there are some things to take in consideration.

Odd generations bring a lot of Pokémon more than even generations. Gen I introduced 151, Gen II 100, Gen III 135, Gen IV 104, Gen V 156. Still Gen II and IV brought over 100 pokémon, but... BUT, that's not all:

- It's said by Generation I, 190 pokémon were already created, but 40 of them were dumped out the game data and left to be included into the sequels. All MissingNo. placeholders are supposed to be the leftovers of the pokémon data erased. If that's true, then Generation II actually introduced over 60 Pokémon, not 100 - assuming all 40 pokémon dumped were included into Gold/Silver. Not sure if all of this is true, but then we have the classic Pikablu rumors, and Marill. On the other hand, once I took a MissingNo. to a cable link trade within Pokémon Gold, via Time Machine. And something interesting happened... the MissingNo. was displayed as a Lugia.

- Generation IV brought 104 Pokémon, but how many of them were (pre)evolutions or old Pokémon? The amount hits a surprising number of 29. So, the number of genuinely brand new Pokémon decreases to just 75. And that's not all. There were unused Shellos sprites in Gen III beta versions, so we don't know (and probably will never know) how many Gen IV Pokémon were already created by Gen III. Regigigas is related to Gen III, too.

- Generation VI introduced MegaEvolutions, and I have no reason to think the 29 retconned Pokémon in Gen IV are more valuable in terms of creativity than the 28 mega-evolutions revealed so far. The only difference is that they don't have new names (would be so different if Magnezone was called MegaMagneton instead?) Come to think, I forgot to consider how many Gen II pokémon were retcons of Gen I pokémon.

Last but not least, Gen V introduced even more Pokémon than Gen I, reaching 156. Had they saved 40 of them for the next generation, we would be talking about a generation of 116 pokémon an another generation of 112. Both being more than decent amounts, and being exactly the same total as 156+72. But nobody complaining.
    Baka-kun likes this.

Me verás volar por la ciudad de la furia...
    - Pokémon games are like boobs; designed for children, but more enjoyed by adults. (Someone on twitter)

Dex

Megas just don't appeal the same way as actual new pokemon. The main reason being they are temporary, more akin to using a stat-boosting move or a form change than to an actual new species. They also are completely different from a competitive standpoint. Only one per team per battle, and being significantly stronger than anything else just sort of detracts from it for me. I'd have a million times over again rather have had Mawile and Absol get true evolutions.

However, my true gripe about this generation is the number of types that only had a single family, or had one family outside of starters/fossils/legendaries (these 'other-thans' are what I consider to be the actually interesting part of a generation).
    This list includes: Poison, Ground (only half of a 'regional rodent' line!), Ice, and Bug (just a regional butterfly!).

How is one supposed to build a personal feeling team, when there's only 1 or two families to choose from for each type?

I still love the game, I just am keeping my fingers crossed that this is not the end of new pokemon this generation. If they had included new species to give incentive to catch older pokemon, I would have no complaints. Mega lucario just doesn't make me suddenly want to have a Lucario on my team. I've had a lucario before, why should I have another?

Go home Kalos rivers, you're drunk.
    My URPG Stats

Blog Entries

I'm not surprised after the Megalution reveal, and only mildly disappointed. I love new pokemon, but there's already way too many. This is only a nitpick on my complaints about Gen 6.

It doesn't bother me. Between new features like Amie, the entirely new art direction with 3D models, and the variety of Pokemon on each route I'm satisfied with what we got. The last thing especially, I love how there's tons of Pokemon on each location and it's made up of ones from each region. I greatly prefer that over how BW had nothing but newcomers till postgame. And out of personal bias, I obviously love how I can get Pikachu immediately at the start of the game.

Now, next gen I expect more since they can just reuse the 3D models for the existing 700+ Pokemon and focus on new stuff, assuming it's also on 3DS. Pokemon Bank makes Pokedex completion not nearly as tedious as before, since we will be able to easily upload our old ones to the new games. I do want tons of newcomers when that time comes. But for this gen, because it's such a leap, I don't have a problem with the low number.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast