Is training only one Pokemon the wrong way to play? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is training only one Pokemon the wrong way to play?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is training only one Pokemon the wrong way to play?

It's wrong because those who do so, believe that one pokemon is stronger than all others. And what's worse, they are not wrong, because due to how the game is made, it is perfectly possible to beat a lvl 60 Blastoise with a level 80 Charizard.... Anyway, doing that is easy, it's easy to beat a level 10 pokemon with a level 30 pokemon, even if it's a Caterpie at 30. But it doesn't teach you how to play good, it teaches you that you don't need to know how to play good, all you need is to stuff your one pokemon with experience and voila. Playing like that will make you dumb, you'll pass the whole game believing that one pokemon can solve anything and disappointed, you will leave the game never to be picked up again. I don't claim that I am 100% right but I had a certain friend and he did that :/

One more thing. If you look at Charizard's learning set in generation 1, and compare it to Pidgeot's, you're gonna see that game developers actually anticipated using only your starter pokemon the whole game, because Charizard, in comparison to many other pokemon is better, since he has a much better learning set (among other things). That fact sucks.
    Last edited by Infinity Edge; 26th August 2013 at 08:58 PM.
    Muur likes this.

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

I don't think there are any right or wrong ways to play- playing one way (soloing with one pokemon) may lead to a lot more challenges later in the game, especially if that Pokemon battles a Gym Leader/Elite 4 member that specializes in a type that is super effective against it, but to each their own.

Personally, I have a hard time even with a team of 6 Pokemon! I try to have a balanced team, and depending on the game, sometimes I will also train up one or two others to have 'just in case', but when I play I like to use Pokemon that I like; some are harder to train than others, but when your babies grow up by your side and kick the Champion's ass, feels good man.

I just trained Charizard as much as I could in Blue. The Champion was a breeze.

mostly just a recluse
    Blog Entries

there isn't any way of playing the game that's intrinsically 'better' or more correct than any other

raising only one pokemon is arguably the easiest and fastest, but it gets boring quickly
    raising six pokemon is absolutely tedious because grinding becomes inexorable but it's a lot of fun to have a wider selection of available moves

my favorite way is just choosing 3~4 pokemon and using 2~3 hm slaves to deal with miscellaneous obstacles, though i don't think people like doing that

There is no wrong way, just have fun! =)

If you're having fun then that's the right way for you. At least that's how I look at it.
    treats likes this.

No, there's no wrong way to play. I think playing with one pokemon can be a lot of fun. The first time I play a pokemon game, I have a full team though, because I think it's more fun that way. But when I play through the game again, sometimes I'll only use one or two pokemon. Kinda cheesy, but I feel more connected to the pokemon that way.

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

There is no such thing as a "wrong" way to play a pokemon game.
    Squeaky the sixth likes this.

Blog Entries

Pokemon is full of strategies.. Many trainers in the game discussed this matter, and in the end it ends up to the trainer what he or she wants to do.. I use to do it when i was younger from red version to ruby version and then when i reached platinum version i tried to review the table of effectiveness and i became a 6 equally trained pokemon trainer..

Legendary Super Saiyan broly146's Avatar

I trained just one pokemon for the longest time until i got to diamond then I figured out that i was doing it the wrong way the whole time (in my opinion) so i train my team equally now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyVenomoth View Post
    There is no such thing as a "wrong" way to play a pokemon game.
    I couldn't agree more. Part of the appeal of Pokemon is the sheer amount of ways you can play.
    Smart enough to use forth in the wrong context
    Claims: Metagross and Travis Touchdown

Flying || Water Wellspring Station's Avatar
    Follow Wellspring Station On Twitter
    Follow Wellspring Station on Tumblr

I agree with everyone here, you should play Pokemon as you want, and you having fun is the most important thing. When I first got Pokemon Ruby, I trained my Blaziken all the way up to level 80 because it was the only Pokemon I used. I demolished the Elite 4 with that bad boy.

Add Chiss on Facebook

It's not necessarily bad, but if you only train a single pokemon it gets a bit boring later on. You can only spam Typhlosion's flamethrower so many times before you lose interest.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123