Is training only one Pokemon the wrong way to play?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is training only one Pokemon the wrong way to play?

Default Is training only one Pokemon the wrong way to play?

I remember when I was younger I would train ONLY one Pokemon and focus on him, these days I train 4-6 Pokemon equally!
    Would you consider training just ONE Pokemon the wrong way to play the game, or would you consider it a different way
    to play the game?

|.......................| 0_o o_0's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is training only one Pokemon the wrong way to play?

I think that if you just trained one pokemon, it would be more powerful because it would be the only one you used but then it could be hard to beat a gym with a type that the one pokemon is weak to. If you had more pokemon on your team, they'd be able to cover for each other's weaknesses.

Music is Fun! Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by 0_o o_0 View Post
    I think that if you just trained one pokemon, it would be more powerful because it would be the only one you used but then it could be hard to beat a gym with a type that the one pokemon is weak to. If you had more pokemon on your team, they'd be able to cover for each other's weaknesses.
    This is pretty much my opinion on it.

I've seen a lot of younger players who train only their starter and maybe a legendary, insisting that they don't need any more Pokemon. I had kind of the opposite problem when I was younger, I would try to catch a lot of different Pokemon so none of them grew very strong. Both ways are very risky strategies. If you only have one Pokemon (for example, if you only train a Venusaur in FRLG) then you could encounter a gym leader or Elite Four (like Blaine or Agatha) who are almost impossible to beat. So to answer the original question, unless you're looking for a real challenge and don't want to level grind for hours or Rare Candy spam, it is not a very convenient way to play.

Blog Entries

It's certainly a much more challenging way to play. Some people do runs in which they only use one Pokemon, maybe even un-evolved throughout the game.

I personally could not do that for a main playthrough.

Humanity's Strongest Shiny Celebi's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Soloing the game with one Pokemon can be a challenging way to play, as some people do with things like that, Nuzlocke, monotype and other challenges to change the game experience. I don't think it's the wrong way to play, it's fine to do a challenge or things like that, everyone plays the game their own way and Pokemon is a good game to do this with cause it allows you to use what you want pretty much.
    tumblr(not spoiler free)

Blog Entries

I don't think it's a "wrong" way to play, since it's just someone's choice how they want to play. I certainly couldn't do it; there's too many Pokemon I want to use/like to use to restrict myself to just the one. But I personally don't see how going through the game and levelling just the one Pokemon, with it obviously becoming a much higher level than the NPCs, is any fun anyway, so to each their own.

The great thing about Pokemon is there is no right or wrong way to play. If you play with one Pokemon you can get through the game much quicker but if you start training more Pokemon you have to stop and level them up a bit and that allows you to take your time with the game. Both ways you get a different feel for the game and the experience you have with it.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Admin Iteru's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

I remember my cousin doing this - she was on Diamond and she was up to about the 4th or 5th badge with a level 40 something Empoleon and no others trained. Not too sure if the concept of HM slaves hit her yet but if it hadn't than she was definitely playing the wrong way as I don't think she could have completed the game otherwise.

Generally, I do think it is a wrong way to play. The games encourage captures and loving all your Pokémon; the quickest method to build a bond is through battling and training.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't say it's the wrong way to play, but it certainly makes things more difficult. Especially if you go to a gym, elite 4, or even a random trainer with strong Pokémon who have a type advantage over your Pokémon.

It's not wrong. Outside of someone doing it for a challenge it is more of a beginners mistake.

I don't think so, but it makes things WAY harder if you have to go up against a trainer/gym leader/etc with Pokemon that had a disadvantage to yours, but hey, if you like a challenge then I ain't stopping you. Go ahead and use whatever one Pokemon you want. xDD.
    I personally like to use more then one, since there's soooo many Pokemon I like.
    3DS Friend Code is: 5215-0992-6785 Friend Safari is Combee, Beautifly, and Venomoth. :)
    Pokemon is love. Pokemon is life. <3

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I wouldn't say that it's a wrong way to play per say. It is a player's choice to do something like this. It does make it rather difficult though. It's pretty similar to what I did with my Silver. I only trained my Typhlosion and a few legendary Pokemon afterwards at lower levels. I even remember my older brother being stocked that I wouldn't train any other Pokemon. I became more interested with training other Pokemon with each new game, but I still wouldn't consider this method wrong. It makes it pretty difficult to go through Gyms where the Pokemon is at a disadvantage or when you battle through the Elite 4 with only one strong Pokemon to battle and nothing as backup.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

I enjoy doing Solo-runs if I can. It adds more challenge to the game, and I get really attached to my starter XDD. I always made Johto my Solo-challenge region where I went on with Typhlosion and a few HM slaves.

Blog Entries

It's doable, but I don't think it's fun at all, being so limited. (Besides, you need HM slaves too)

That said, grinding only one Pokémon like that requires an awful lot of time, especially with BW's revamped EXP system.

I can only excuse people that use only one Pokemon if they are 8 years old or younger, because the point of Pokemon is to raise several and defeat the Elite Four as a team, not a duo of your starter, and it also contradicts another main point of the game: to complete the Pokedex.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast