Trainer Customization - Page 26

Page 26 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Like Tree859Likes

Thread: Trainer Customization

Follow Charazemma On Twitter Add Charazemma on Facebook

Default Re: Trainer Customization

Quote Originally Posted by Akira Bond View Post
    I believe the generation that introduces a whole new 3D world, with 3D models, would also be perfect for introducing customising abilities for the player characters.
    Its definitely the generation to introduce it, but to what extent? If you could customize your player completely, then we wouldn't really have a protagonist, would we. I like how each gen has a recognisable protagonist. If we could create anyone or anything we wanted to, we'd have no Gold, no Red...

I'd like it to an extent, but I'd prefer it if the player was still recognisable.

Is that makes sense, I've only been awake a short while :)
    I'm a girl.

I call a Squirrel legendary in X and Y, just sayin'.

Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Charazemma View Post
    I believe the generation that introduces a whole new 3D world, with 3D models, would also be perfect for introducing customising abilities for the player characters.
    Its definitely the generation to introduce it, but to what extent? If you could customize your player completely, then we wouldn't really have a protagonist, would we. I like how each gen has a recognisable protagonist. If we could create anyone or anything we wanted to, we'd have no Gold, no Red...

I'd like it to an extent, but I'd prefer it if the player was still recognisable.

Is that makes sense, I've only been awake a short while :)
    It makes sense, but I believe it is possible to have both. Take Red for instance. There is a Red, but in the games he'll only be Red if that's what you name him. Same with Gold and Silver, they'd only be Gold and Silver if that's what you name them. The protagonist in each game, if you think about it, is yourself. The way I see it, you get to choose your own protagonist. You get to choose their name, their Pokemon, how they battle, strategies, everything besides their appearance.

They can have pre-set characters, which can act as the protagonists, along with character customisation. For example, when you first begin your game, and you choose Male or Female, they both have set designs, which are the pre-set forms, and they can be the 'official protagonists' and then once you choose your gender you can change the clothes and skin/eye/hair colour etc. from there.

When you think about it, there is no 'set protagonist' in the games, besides the way they look, everything else is personalised your way. And I believe if everything else can be personalised, why can't their clothes be customised too, or even better, be able to choose everything down to eyes and skin??

I don't consider the main series games to have set PCs, because really the only thing that is set is the appearance. I say we should be able to customise everything, including appearance.
    The_Doctor and Gunaydin like this.

Again I state to the people who don't want character customization. You are kids saying no to candy, and on top of that speaking for the entire class on the matter. If you don't want it don't use it.

And also to the point of it, fun. This is why I should hope you're buying a Pokemon game, to have fun. Though you may not find dressing up your trainer fun, a large majority does, and though you didn't find musicals fun, like one or two maybe three people did. These things aren't wasted of memory as you call them, they're extras. It's not like there's is really a need to conserve memory.
    , I believe last I checked standard 3ds card is 8 gigs, with 16 gigs available. If skyrim can fit on an 8 gb DVD I think Pokemon and what ever features will fit just fine.

And finally in terms of the power of the 3ds, its capabilities are on par if not better then the wii. However it's a toss up, the wii is better at pushing more polygons, however the 3ds is better at performing in game lighting, and shaders.
    YamiiDenryuu and VeggiePopper like this.

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    (...)
    That is true, but that implies you feel that the trainer that the player plays as is their own and not just a "blank slate" like Link in all of his games.

I mean, this is what OC's are for. Not canon characters whose personalities and actions are decided by the story.

They have backstories, personalities, etc. They just don't speak.

Red is Red, Leaf is Leaf, Ethan is Ethan, Kris/Lyra is Kris/Lyra, Brendan is Brendan, May is May, Lucas is Lucas, Dawn is Dawn, Hilbert is Hilbert, Hilda is Hilda, Nate is Nate, and Rosa is Rosa. These are true regardless of what personalities people try to make up for them.

They aren't your personal character.
    Actually, that's not totally true. If Red is Red and Leaf is Leaf, why can we change their names? Why can we choose our Pokémon and their moves and nicknames? If you're statement were true, then we wouldn't be able to change our PC's name -if Red is Red, then why I have gotten away with never naiming him Red in my RGBY/FRLG playthroughs? Also, we're not forced to stick with the canon team (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Pikachu, Snorlax, and Espeon/Lapras -actually, to achieve such a team we'd be forced to trade-). Not to mention that, according to the HGSS, Leaf actually NEVER EXISTED, yet we are still able to be her in FRLG, depsite not being canon. See? The protagonists are not set characters and the PC IS our personal character; we can play with their characteristics and that's part of the fun in Pokémon.

And while in RGBY/FRLG (and Red's appearance in the sequels, GSC/HGSS) your statement may be PARTIALLY true (only on the grounds that Red has a set name, appearance and gender), outside those games, your statement is not true AT ALL. We can choose between two different characters (which in itself is customization, as that gives us two different looks for the protagonist) up to this day, we still don't know who the canon protagonist (i.e. the 'set character' you've spent pages arguing about) is. Is Ethan or Lyra the true protagonist of HGSS? Is Nate or Rosa the canon PC in B2W? Probably we'll never know (as champions, the previous protagonists SHOULD have returned for the Pokémon World Tournament, yet they didn't, again proving that except for Red, tehre are no set characters in tha main series). And I think that's actually one of the reasons why the protagonists never appear outside their native games (even the BW protagonists don't appear in B2W2, despite the fact that it doesn't make sense storywise): because GF wants us to leave up to our own imaginations who the canon protagonist is and let us believe the protagonist is whoever we want, so, basically, except for Red, there are no set characters and we can decide who the protagonist (their gender -which includes their LOOKS- and name) is. So, in a way, we've always (or at least since Crystal) had character customization, only in a very basic form, and with full customisation that would only be expanded rather than changing the tradition.

If they are so 'true, regardless of people', then why we stil don't have confirmed canon protagonists (except Red)? For instance, Hilbert and Hilda's stories can't be simultaneously 'true', since only one is friends with Cheren and Bianca and beat Alder while the other trains at the Battle Subway. And the same applies to all of the other PC's.

Also, if you don't want/like customization, just stick with the default design instead of ruining the fun for those who do want it, just like you can skip contests, musicals and films (personally, I despise contests and musicals, yet I've never bitched about them, I just ignored them and they never caused me any trouble). And about your point of wasting unnecessary memory which could be used for better features, let me remind you that 3DS carts can hold up to 8GB (which is more than a DVD can hold, so if GF wanted it to, XY could be bigger than Skyward Sword), so obviously there's a lot of space there and even with full customization there will be a lot of free space in the cart´s ROM. So tehre's no reason for not having it, even if you don't want to.
    Gunaydin likes this.

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

again proving that except for Red, tehre are no set characters in tha main series
    Actually, I think Brendan is, too. In the PWT, Norman says he has a son.
    Yato likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    again proving that except for Red, tehre are no set characters in tha main series
    Oh really? I have always thought that Brendan is the canon protagonist of that game (he has black hair like Norman while May is brown haired like Birch), so yay! But I digress. Still we haven't confirmed canon protagonists for the rest of the games. Also, now that you mention the PWT, Tate and Liza haven't grown up (despite more than 5 years have passed since their original game), nor Red and Blue have, which proves again that regarding characters', the series doesn't game a damn about.

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Blog Entries

He does?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    He does?
    Yes, he does. If you defeat him and talk to him in the lobby, he mentions his son.
    Yato likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VeggiePopper View Post
    Actually, that's not totally true. If Red is Red and Leaf is Leaf, why can we change their names? Why can we choose our Pokémon and their moves and nicknames?
    Individual multiplayer personas. If we were not able to change the names, then every Pokemon would be owned by Red, Leaf, etc. and be named the exact same thing. Allowing the choice of names allows for distinctions between trainers when battling, trading or when online.

Ultimately, you are still Red, Leaf, etc. when playing through the game. Their personality is pretty much decided.

The protagonists are not set characters and the PC IS our personal character; we can play with their characteristics and that's part of the fun in Pokémon.
    The protagonist is not your personal character. There is a bit of immersion with name choice, but they are their own character with their own history.

Do you also claim that Link in some of the recent LoZ games is yours?

You can change his name, and decide what actions he takes throughout the story.

Therefore he's your own?

No, he's still Link. You're just along for the ride.

So, in a way, we've always (or at least since Crystal) had character customization, only in a very basic form, and with full customisation that would only be expanded rather than changing the tradition.
    We have had partial character customization, for multiplayer. It was expanded upon in recent games by allowing players to choose a trainer class and a nature for their multiplayer persona.

Not so shockingly, the choices had absolutely no effect on the canon characters of the games.

I see no reason why they should. The in-game characters are still the in-game characters. Your online persona is you. Therein lies the difference.

The same goes for character customization. As I typed earlier, I think that if character customization is to happen, then it will likely not go any farther than affecting the online persona, as in the games.

If they are so 'true, regardless of people', then why we stil don't have confirmed canon protagonists (except Red)? For instance, Hilbert and Hilda's stories can't be simultaneously 'true', since only one is friends with Cheren and Bianca and beat Alder while the other trains at the Battle Subway. And the same applies to all of the other PC's.
    The only reason we know about Red's canon is because he appeared in sequels before character gender was a choice.

In B2/W2, the other sequels available, the past is directly influenced by Memory Linking with Black or White.

Though, while not necessarily game canon, I do believe it is widely accepted that Brendan is the son of Norman and, therefore, the one who saved the Hoenn region and became champion in canon, and that May is the daughter of Professor Birch.

Also, if you don't want/like customization, just stick with the default design instead of ruining the fun for those who do want it, just like you can skip contests, musicals and films (personally, I despise contests and musicals, yet I've never bitched about them, I just ignored them and they never caused me any trouble).
    I likely will ignore it, and maybe, after a long time of ignoring it, try it out eventually.

That does not make for a good reason for customization.

And about your point of wasting unnecessary memory which could be used for better features, let me remind you that 3DS carts can hold up to 8GB (which is more than a DVD can hold, so if GF wanted it to, XY could be bigger than Skyward Sword), so obviously there's a lot of space there and even with full customization there will be a lot of free space in the cart´s ROM.
    The space devoted to character customization could still be used for something else entirely.

So tehre's no reason for not having it, even if you don't want to.
    Other than the whole "It would be there only for messing around, since the trainer only appears for a good five seconds for anyone else on multiplayer battles, so why even add it" reason.

Anyway, I'll just say that there are a number of people who are not looking forward to character customization. There would be very little, if any, point to adding it, and, for most players (i.e. outside of Bulbagarden or even this thread), it's probably not even on the radar when people think about the games.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." -George S. Patton
    Arceus is a false god. Only science knows the true answer.

Quote Originally Posted by VeggiePopper View Post
    Actually, that's not totally true. If Red is Red and Leaf is Leaf, why can we change their names? Why can we choose our Pokémon and their moves and nicknames?
    Individual multiplayer personas. If we were not able to change the names, then every Pokemon would be owned by Red, Leaf, etc. and be named the exact same thing. Allowing the choice of names allows for distinctions between trainers when battling, trading or when online.

Ultimately, you are still Red, Leaf, etc. when playing through the game. Their personality is pretty much decided.

The protagonists are not set characters and the PC IS our personal character; we can play with their characteristics and that's part of the fun in Pokémon.
    The protagonist is not your personal character. There is a bit of immersion with name choice, but they are their own character with their own history.

Do you also claim that Link in some of the recent LoZ games is yours?

You can change his name, and decide what actions he takes throughout the story.

Therefore he's your own?

No, he's still Link. You're just along for the ride.

So, in a way, we've always (or at least since Crystal) had character customization, only in a very basic form, and with full customisation that would only be expanded rather than changing the tradition.
    We have had partial character customization, for multiplayer. It was expanded upon in recent games by allowing players to choose a trainer class and a nature for their multiplayer persona.

Not so shockingly, the choices had absolutely no effect on the canon characters of the games.

I see no reason why they should. The in-game characters are still the in-game characters. Your online persona is you. Therein lies the difference.

The same goes for character customization. As I typed earlier, I think that if character customization is to happen, then it will likely not go any farther than affecting the online persona, as in the games.

The only reason we know about Red's canon is because he appeared in sequels before character gender was a choice.

In B2/W2, the other sequels available, the past is directly influenced by Memory Linking with Black or White.

Though, while not necessarily game canon, I do believe it is widely accepted that Brendan is the son of Norman and, therefore, the one who saved the Hoenn region and became champion in canon, and that May is the daughter of Professor Birch.

Also, if you don't want/like customization, just stick with the default design instead of ruining the fun for those who do want it, just like you can skip contests, musicals and films (personally, I despise contests and musicals, yet I've never bitched about them, I just ignored them and they never caused me any trouble).
    I likely will ignore it, and maybe, after a long time of ignoring it, try it out eventually.

That does not make for a good reason for customization.

And about your point of wasting unnecessary memory which could be used for better features, let me remind you that 3DS carts can hold up to 8GB (which is more than a DVD can hold, so if GF wanted it to, XY could be bigger than Skyward Sword), so obviously there's a lot of space there and even with full customization there will be a lot of free space in the cart´s ROM.
    The space devoted to character customization could still be used for something else entirely.

So tehre's no reason for not having it, even if you don't want to.
    Other than the whole "It would be there only for messing around, since the trainer only appears for a good five seconds for anyone else on multiplayer battles, so why even add it" reason.

Anyway, I'll just say that there are a number of people who are not looking forward to character customization. There would be very little, if any, point to adding it, and, for most players (i.e. outside of Bulbagarden or even this thread), it's probably not even on the radar when people think about the games.
    Alright, it sounds like you really know gamer's and what they want. So enlighten me, enlighten all of us, what would you use the let's say 20, no let's go as far as 100 just to be safe. 100 megs of data that character customization would take up, what would you place there instead? Because as I see it, and i'm willing to bet damn good money, there will likely be plenty of space left on that cartridge when it hits retail. 3ds games do not, and i'll repeat, do not take up that much memory.

As for your assumption that only the people in this thread actually care about customizing characters, I disagree. I've watched several video's with people's top ten wish list for Pokemon X and Y, on every single one Character Creation was on their list. And on most of them it was in the top 3 most wanted features.

Blog Entries

He does?
    Yes, he does. If you defeat him and talk to him in the lobby, he mentions his son.
    I'm going to take your word for that, but are you sure that's not just a translation error?

追放されたバカ

Visit Fennekin's Youtube Channel

I hope we can, I'd like to have a character without a hat for a change.

Blog Entries

He does?
    I'm going to take your word for that, but are you sure that's not just a translation error?
    What do you mean a translation error? Saying son as opposed to daughter; is that what you mean?

Blog Entries

I don't want character customization at all.

I see no point in it.
    It's not suppose to have a point to it. Customisable trainers would be one of those features that aren't necessary in order to enjoy the game, but can help to make the game even more enjoyable to play. It would be one of those features that players would love solely for the purpose that it would be fun to have, and it would help your player trainer feel more personalised, more like 'you.'
    But the character is not 'you'. The character is the child prodigy of the region, destined to save the region from an evil foe and become the champion.

If it were more like an open-world game where you actually decide the storyline (for example, Skyrim) or create your own story, I'd understand a character customization because the game is not linear in story. Or an online game, because of the amount of player/player interaction.

But Pokemon is linear. And mostly offline... The few times the game is online, the trainers fighting are only visible for a few seconds.

So what is the point? To play dress up? To have another flop, like the Pokemon Musical or Pokeball decals?

I don't want trainer customization. It wastes memory space on a feature that most will never benefit from, instead of using that memory on a useful feature.

Plus, the graphics really aren't that good. I find detail to be important if there is to be character customization. You know, so it actually looks significantly different.
    And what game uses up all of the space that the 3DS can handle?
    Your argument is that there can't be character customization because the character isn't "you". Really. You people are looking a little too deep into this, people who want customization and people who don't alike. It doesn't matter if the character is "you" or not. It's a minor thing you can play with if you want, like that really expensive piece of jewelry your mom has. If you don't want to use it, fine. It'll just sit there and not affect your life except for it being in your line of vision 0.0001% of the time.
    Ninja-Mage likes this.

Blog Entries

He does?
    What do you mean a translation error? Saying son as opposed to daughter; is that what you mean?
    I mean as in using "son" instead of the gender-neutral "child". It might not be, but I've seen a similar situation happen with the gender-ambiguous character Crona from Soul Eater- some amateur translators decided Crona was a girl and translated "child" as "daughter", then some fans took this as actual confirmation that Crona was female, which led to more translators using "daughter" despite the fact that gender-specific terms were never used in reference to that character at all. Buuuuuuut this is getting offtopic.

Page 26 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast