Trainer Customization - Page 19

Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
Like Tree859Likes

Thread: Trainer Customization

Even Rocky had a Montage AlphaMouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Trainer Customization

I don't see what's the problem with customization. If people don't want to customize their character, then don't. If Game Freak can put this idea into their games it would be a nice quirk, like walking Pokémon in HG/SS

Team Rocket Grunt nikkissippi121's Avatar
    Follow nikkissippi121 On Twitter
    Visit nikkissippi121's Youtube Channel

I don't think I'd like total customization - I love the past player characters to death! But some customization like clothes and hairstyle might be kind of nice.

Quote Originally Posted by LadySasaki View Post
    ^ I hadn't thought of it in terms of Animal Crossing.

But since you brought it up, let me use it as an example for a second. A little customisation would be exactly what you said - a fun addition, the cherry on the top. But what I think myself and some others are saying is that too much would turn Pokemon into Animal Crossing. Players may end up more concerned about how cool their avatar looks than actually playing the game. If Gamefreak were to implement an Animal Crossing level of customisation for the PC and the secret base (not saying this will happen or even if secret bases will come back, just hypothesising here!) you'd get players obsessing over collecting all the available hats/sunglasses/furniture rather than collecting and filling up the pokedex. If you want to do that, why not just play Animal Crossing instead of Pokemon in the first place?

I'm in no way a naysayer of customisation, I just don't want the mixing and matching of fashion ensembles and decor to eclipse the heart and soul of the game. Pokemon has always kept the PC silent, personality-free and fairly bland, and to be honest I've never had the burning desire for them to change that just so long as the plots, pokemon, graphics, regions and characters keep developing. Customisation is a feature I'd enjoy in small measure but can ultimately leave or take. But if they can add it without detracting from the focal point of the games, then I say bring it on :3
    WHY IS EVERYBODY COMPARING THIS TO ANIMAL CROSSING!!! ANIMAL CROSSING DOESN'T EVEN HAVE CUSTOMIZATION ON THE PLAYER!!! (which is weird, considering you can customize basically everything else in the game).
    Sorry for spazzing out. I'm just... blah.
    Anyways, you people DO realize you have to battle to get money right?
    If someone is obsessed with buying clothes, they'll have to battle a bunch of trainers. And they'll eventually run out of trainers in the area, so they'll be forced to continue on the story to battle more trainers and get more money. The champion could give you some sort of special "golden" outfit.
    Plus, in the post-game, there could be a fashion-esque city with tons of awesome clothes, INCLUDING the older character's outfits! Of course, these clothes would cost more moola, but the trainers there could be of the Rich Boy/Girl Trainer Class.
    I got nothing for furniture, though. Maybe only a limited amount of furniture is available and the rest is in a city that's only available in the post-game?

In short, using the clothes to motivate the player to move on, instead of making them stop.

Now, for my actual addition to this place. I'm thinking about 1/4 quarters into the game you could find a clothing store. An employee would run out of the store for an emergency, and the manager of the place would come out too, and give you the option of working at the store until the employee comes back. If you say Yes, you could play a minigame with you fufilling the customer's desires. When you finish, you could get a free outfit, some money, and a discount card for any item in the store. but with clothes!
    You can try to apply after, but the manager won't let you, because you have to have done a major accomplishment to apply. After you defeat the Champion, you can apply again and the manager will gladly take you in. You can do the minigame anytime you want now, because you're an extra helper, and therefore only in a minor position and you have no need to come every day. When you're not working there, you still have your discount card from earlier, so you can buy anything you want with a discount!

Edit: The manager could give you a worker's outfit. When you have the outfit on when you come in, the manager automatically assumes you're here to work. If you don't have the outfit on, the manager will assume you're just there to shop.
    The store could be a discount store, with at least 2 or 3 items available in other stores, but at a limited time discount at this store. The items could change weekly.
    Edit 2: Erased the " ''' "s. I thought those would make the letters bold. I guess that's only on TV Tropes.
    Added emoticons.
    One of the people working there could be Nancy or Curtis, as a nod to B2W2. Their accomplishment would be basically being the Hannah Montana of the Pokemon universe.
    Last edited by Akromatic; 23rd February 2013 at 05:17 PM.
    VeggiePopper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Poko907 View Post
    ANIMAL CROSSING DOESN'T EVEN HAVE CUSTOMIZATION ON THE PLAYER!!!
    Yes it does. In Wild World you can choose your gender, facial features (eyebrows, nose shape etc) and hair style/colour. The method of doing so is hidden (the outcome depends on which answers you give while the cabbie drives you to your new town) but present, and thanks to the internet there are websites you can go where people have cracked the code, so if you want a certain look to your player you can answer the questions accordingly.

Arguably even if it didn't have this feature I'd say that allowing you to buy and change clothes, hairstyle and accessories (glasses etc) for your character could be called 'player customisation'.

But enough about animal crossing! I think your idea about the clothes store is not just plausible, it actually sounds like just the kind of thing GF would do. My feeling, however, remains that the focus should remain on the 'mons and not the trainer. Now, being able to go into a clothing store and accessorize your pokes outside of a contest/musical environment and have them actually go out into battle wearing bows on their tails or sunglasses would be AWESOME!!! <3

I breed egg move pokes & DW females.

I'm getting tired of saying customization would make it like the Sims. Have you people even played it? The only way Pokemon could end up like the Sims is if you had

Alterations of facial features
    Hair
    Accessories
    Clothing
    Personality
    Familial relations
    Aspirations
    A customizable neighborhood/town
    A customizable house/secret base
    AND
    customizable pokemon

Sunglasses and blue hair are not going to ruin the game.

The problem is you guys are pretty much saying no to free candy. Which is fine, candy isn't for everyone, some people are diabetic. But ontop of saying no to free candy for yourself you're saying no to free candy for the entire class.

As I've said before, Gamefreak has a very long history of adding new features. Some that have little to nothing to do with the Pokemon. If you don't want to do them, don't do them. But there will be several people who will want to use these new features to their fullest cause it gives their game more playability. And again as I've said, there is virtually no way GF can screw up the Pokemon formula. Your ability to catch and train pokemon will be safe. So it doesn't matter what so ever to you if I want to spend 20 hours in game getting every outfit and playing around with my avatar. It doesn't mean i'm not going to catch and EV train the hell out of my pokemon too. It just means i'm going to be damn stylish while I do lol. In the end you're buying Pokemon, I know what i'm getting my hands into when I pick up the game, I just want some added sprinkles to make my game that much better for me. And if you don't want sprinkles, spoon around them or somethin.

Back onto the trainer customization topic. Clothing wise I'd love it if certain clothes gave bonuses for battling, breeding, and what have you. Like maybe a crown you get after beating the poke champ that doubles your Pokemon's EXP gain. Or gloves that act like the "Warm Body" ability for Pokemon so eggs hatch quicker. I'd like my trainer to seem necessary to the way my Pokemon grow past handing them items and barking orders.
    Nyx, CorpseFlower, jda95 and 6 others like this.

ANIMAL CROSSING DOESN'T EVEN HAVE CUSTOMIZATION ON THE PLAYER!!!
    Yes it does. In Wild World you can choose your gender, facial features (eyebrows, nose shape etc) and hair style/colour. The method of doing so is hidden (the outcome depends on which answers you give while the cabbie drives you to your new town) but present, and thanks to the internet there are websites you can go where people have cracked the code, so if you want a certain look to your player you can answer the questions accordingly.

Arguably even if it didn't have this feature I'd say that allowing you to buy and change clothes, hairstyle and accessories (glasses etc) for your character could be called 'player customisation'.

But enough about animal crossing! I think your idea about the clothes store is not just plausible, it actually sounds like just the kind of thing GF would do. My feeling, however, remains that the focus should remain on the 'mons and not the trainer. Now, being able to go into a clothing store and accessorize your pokes outside of a contest/musical environment and have them actually go out into battle wearing bows on their tails or sunglasses would be AWESOME!!! <3
    1. Oh. Um... awkward silence.
    BREAKINGTHESILENCEBREAKINGTHESILENCEBREAKINGTHESILENCE

Why are people saying Pokemon would become the Sims? By that logic, half of all games today are exactly like Sims, because you can change your appearance.
    Saying Pokemon would become the Sims if there were facial features is like saying Pokemon would be like Mario if there was a Tanooki based Pokemon.
    OK, bad connection.
    Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja-Mage View Post
    The problem is you guys are pretty much saying no to free candy. Which is fine, candy isn't for everyone, some people are diabetic. But ontop of saying no to free candy for yourself you're saying no to free candy for the entire class.

As I've said before, Gamefreak has a very long history of adding new features. Some that have little to nothing to do with the Pokemon. If you don't want to do them, don't do them. But there will be several people who will want to use these new features to their fullest cause it gives their game more playability. And again as I've said, there is virtually no way GF can screw up the Pokemon formula. Your ability to catch and train pokemon will be safe. So it doesn't matter what so ever to you if I want to spend 20 hours in game getting every outfit and playing around with my avatar. It doesn't mean i'm not going to catch and EV train the hell out of my pokemon too. It just means i'm going to be damn stylish while I do lol. In the end you're buying Pokemon, I know what i'm getting my hands into when I pick up the game, I just want some added sprinkles to make my game that much better for me. And if you don't want sprinkles, spoon around them or somethin.

Back onto the trainer customization topic. Clothing wise I'd love it if certain clothes gave bonuses for battling, breeding, and what have you. Like maybe a crown you get after beating the poke champ that doubles your Pokemon's EXP gain. Or gloves that act like the "Warm Body" ability for Pokemon so eggs hatch quicker. I'd like my trainer to seem necessary to the way my Pokemon grow past handing them items and barking orders.
    Ok... weird connection (don't know what it's called). Weirder than mine.
    Didn't I say that defeating the Champion would give you a special outfit? Your crown idea could fit into that.
    Now about the gloves. Why would you be holding your egg when you can just fit it into a tennis ball?

Edit 2: Added the word "Edit" before the quote.
    Edit 3: Added a space between Edit 2 and the end of Edit 1.

Edit 4: Realized I accidentally clicked Reply instead of Edit and now I have double posts. Sorry.

Edit 5: Deleted the other post and added a colon to Edit 4. Realized all this editing might be against a rule. Going to check.
    Last edited by Akromatic; 23rd February 2013 at 10:46 PM.
    LadySasaki likes this.

I don't know fuzzy warm body gloves sounded better then back pack with a built in insulator lol.

I'm not saying no to free candy. I'm...well, standing in a candy store accepting free cake and saying 'hey, this tastes good, but what's it doing in a candy store? If I wanted cake I'd go to the cake store'. Or something like that, idk.

If we can just change hair/eye colour that'd be cool. I wanna be a brunette because...uh, I am a brunette. Customisation will be great if they do it in moderation. And they probably will do it in moderation, because like everyone else is saying they'd have to put in a hell of a lot to make it like The Sims. So likely I'll have no problem with it whatsoever. If it is implemented at all.

...Can I go eat cake now? Talking about it made me hungry.

back pack with a built in insulator.
    THIS IS MY NEW FAVOURITE IDEA EVER. Oh god I die just imagining the cuteness of the PC tramping around with a special heated backpack with a wittle eggy inside!!! I'm a breeder at heart, can you tell?

I breed egg move pokes & DW females.

I'm not saying no to free candy. I'm...well, standing in a candy store accepting free cake and saying 'hey, this tastes good, but what's it doing in a candy store? If I wanted cake I'd go to the cake store'. Or something like that, idk.

If we can just change hair/eye colour that'd be cool. I wanna be a brunette because...uh, I am a brunette. Customisation will be great if they do it in moderation. And they probably will do it in moderation, because like everyone else is saying they'd have to put in a hell of a lot to make it like The Sims. So likely I'll have no problem with it whatsoever. If it is implemented at all.

...Can I go eat cake now? Talking about it made me hungry.

back pack with a built in insulator.
    THIS IS MY NEW FAVOURITE IDEA EVER. Oh god I die just imagining the cuteness of the PC tramping around with a special heated backpack with a wittle eggy inside!!! I'm a breeder at heart, can you tell?
    Now I know you're insane! actually idk, are we talking like a see-through backpack with an egg all toasty warm inside and lights shining on it? I really didn't think out the back pack insulator idea.

Also I think a lot of candy stores sell baked goods these days. (I'm nitpicking)

Follow Meophist On Twitter

"It's interesting, because in Japan, everybody goes for Pikachu. In the U.S., the characters Ash [Satoshi in Japan] and Pikachu are grouped together. American kids seem to like that. In America there are more products sold with Ash and Pikachu together, not just Pikachu alone. I think Americans actually understand the concept of Pokémon better than the Japanese. The Japanese focus on Pikachu, but what I think is important is the human aspect--you need Ash."
    - Tajiri Satoshi (Source)

The Great and Powerful TheBugChampion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
    "It's interesting, because in Japan, everybody goes for Pikachu. In the U.S., the characters Ash [Satoshi in Japan] and Pikachu are grouped together. American kids seem to like that. In America there are more products sold with Ash and Pikachu together, not just Pikachu alone. I think Americans actually understand the concept of Pokémon better than the Japanese. The Japanese focus on Pikachu, but what I think is important is the human aspect--you need Ash."
    if i have a kid... i want to name him Satoshi. Satoshi Yanmega. and i'll get to customize aaaannnything he wears. and if he's born a Girl, she'll still be named Satoshi Yanmega and she will be fabulous.

;)
    LadySasaki and Miles101 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBugChampion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
    if i have a kid... i want to name him Satoshi. Satoshi Yanmega. and i'll get to customize aaaannnything he wears. and if he's born a Girl, she'll still be named Satoshi Yanmega and she will be fabulous.

;)
    Please don't name your child Satoshi Yanmega. for his sake.

*and especially for her sake.

Can I help you? No? Bye. LakituBroz's Avatar

Visit LakituBroz's Youtube Channel

Well, I know this was originally posted, but a clothing store would actually be a nice addition. Kinda reminds me of (and I'm sorry for mentioning a Pokémon Hack game on a real game...) Pokémon Prism which allows you to change the color of your sprite.

Blog Entries
    Add Stratago on MySpace

Granted, it was just the beta-footage (or something like that) in the premier video, but I thought the new trainers' outfits seemed a little bland. Hopefully we will get some level of trainer customization (maybe not as extensive as Dragon Quest 9, but it'd be awesome if it was), or the designs get a bit more interesting.

Smogon: 'Nuff said.

Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast