Trainer Customization - Page 18

Page 18 of 72 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
Like Tree859Likes

Thread: Trainer Customization

Default Re: Trainer Customization

Quote Originally Posted by LadySasaki View Post
    I'd like to customise based on the very simple and subjective reason that I took one look at the male playable character and thought DO NOT WANT.

The female has grown on me though, so even if we can't customise I'll just stick with her on my multiple playthroughs.

Also, it's Pokemon. We're playing the games with POKEMONS, and the story is focused on POKEMONS, not ourselves. In that sense, we're all nameless heroes that won't get another appearance in the future, so too much customization would be overdoing it since it's for only one game.

And I never said I was against it. Just keeping it to a minimum would be fine. Because this is Pokemon, not the Sims.
    This. A little customisation (accessories, colour of clothes, maaaybe hair style) would be fun. But total customisation would imo be overdoing it and taking the focus away from the pocket monsters. They're the real focus of the game, not the player's avatar, and they should stay that way.
    I don't see why we can't have both. Plenty of games have added very robust custimization features and still stayed true to their core gameplay. And as I said before Pokemon has always been a deeply customizable game series. Clothing and avatar customization just adds a cherry on top.

@Dark Blueberry - he was saying though that if there was customization wed prob have to pay $3 for a stupid hat, I was just pointing out animal crossing an existing nintendo franchise with customization hasn't done that yet so I doubt it'd be a problem here.

Here's my final point, when they added contests, did they ever force you to do them? No
    Battle subway? No.
    Musicals? No.

The point is they've added tons of features that have added to the overall fun factor of the games. And none have taken away from the focal point of Pokemon training. They were just fun additions, just as customization would be. Ill finish by asking all the nay Sayers to give me one way that adding in a robust customization feature could ruin the core gameplay or detract from it. Keep in mind the mechanics of Pokemon battling and raising is pretty much a concrete mechanic that game freak would have to purposefully seek out and destroy in order to ruin.
    The_Doctor likes this.

^ I hadn't thought of it in terms of Animal Crossing.

But since you brought it up, let me use it as an example for a second. A little customisation would be exactly what you said - a fun addition, the cherry on the top. But what I think myself and some others are saying is that too much would turn Pokemon into Animal Crossing. Players may end up more concerned about how cool their avatar looks than actually playing the game. If Gamefreak were to implement an Animal Crossing level of customisation for the PC and the secret base (not saying this will happen or even if secret bases will come back, just hypothesising here!) you'd get players obsessing over collecting all the available hats/sunglasses/furniture rather than collecting and filling up the pokedex. If you want to do that, why not just play Animal Crossing instead of Pokemon in the first place?

I'm in no way a naysayer of customisation, I just don't want the mixing and matching of fashion ensembles and decor to eclipse the heart and soul of the game. Pokemon has always kept the PC silent, personality-free and fairly bland, and to be honest I've never had the burning desire for them to change that just so long as the plots, pokemon, graphics, regions and characters keep developing. Customisation is a feature I'd enjoy in small measure but can ultimately leave or take. But if they can add it without detracting from the focal point of the games, then I say bring it on :3

I breed egg move pokes & DW females.

Follow Purellian On Twitter
    Visit Purellian's Youtube Channel

But since you brought it up, let me use it as an example for a second. A little customisation would be exactly what you said - a fun addition, the cherry on the top. But what I think myself and some others are saying is that too much would turn Pokemon into Animal Crossing. Players may end up more concerned about how cool their avatar looks than actually playing the game. If Gamefreak were to implement an Animal Crossing level of customisation for the PC and the secret base (not saying this will happen or even if secret bases will come back, just hypothesising here!) you'd get players obsessing over collecting all the available hats/sunglasses/furniture rather than collecting and filling up the pokedex. If you want to do that, why not just play Animal Crossing instead of Pokemon in the first place?

I'm in no way a naysayer of customisation, I just don't want the mixing and matching of fashion ensembles and decor to eclipse the heart and soul of the game. Pokemon has always kept the PC silent, personality-free and fairly bland, and to be honest I've never had the burning desire for them to change that just so long as the plots, pokemon, graphics, regions and characters keep developing. Customisation is a feature I'd enjoy in small measure but can ultimately leave or take. But if they can add it without detracting from the focal point of the games, then I say bring it on :3
    There are people who enjoy the contests so much that they spend as little time battling their pokemon as they can and instead focus on only doing contests. Or making movies at Pokewood, or playing the Pokeathlon, etc. etc. For shame! How dare they spend more time on the part of the game that they like the most? That doesn't make any sense at all! On top of that, why should it matter to me how anyone else chooses to play their own copy of the game?

(the rest of this post is not directed at you, LadySasaki)

However, I really don't think you need to worry about that. If people are buying Pokemon games, they are buying so they can play as a Pokemon trainer and live out all the fantasies that that entails. The entire point of having a silent, personality-free protagonist is so that the player, and ANY player, can more easily picture themselves as the one who is actually doing all the things in the game. The only thing more effective at maintaining that illusion for the player is for them to be able to customize their avatar the way they like it. Why on earth WOULDN'T they include customization?

I fail to understand this worry of them including "too much" customization and how it will detract from the gameplay. Players already get a tiny bit of customization ability in the choice of the male or female protagonist, and either people choose the gender they most identify with, or they choose the one with the better design in their opinion. This is exactly what people will do with more customization options. They will either try to create an avatar that looks as much like themselves as possible, or they'll try to use the various options to create an avatar that they think looks cool.

I can honestly think of no way whatsoever in which the ability to customize your avatar would get in the way of playing Pokemon. Or how it will somehow, through its terrible voodoo magic, change the basic qualities of the game SO MUCH that it will cease to be Pokemon and will suddenly become The Sims: Battling Pets or Animal Crossing: Now With Extra Creepy.
    Owain, Nyx, The_Doctor and 4 others like this.

Waiting for Pokemon X and Pokemon Y since January, 2013!

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Something like Fire Emblem Awakening would be good...there's basic male and female templates (like we have now), but you can customize them to a decent extent at the beginning of the game. That's what I want at the very minimum, it doesn't intrude on anything, it just allows players to feel closer to their avatars.

Sometimes I draw things. Finicky Fennekin's Avatar

I love the male character's design from the trailer - he's so cute!(´ω`♡%)Whether or not we get customization, I'll definitely be using him as-is.

If we do get customization, the designs from the trailer will probably be the "default" options anyway, like there are "default" names, so they can use those designs in the manga and such.

I'd kind of like a sort of passive "customization" either way, though - like your character changing into a coat and scarf for colder areas, or short sleeves and shorts for a beach.
    I think it'd be cute to walk onto a rainy route and have my pc take out an umbrella to carry around (´ ▽`).。o♡
    LadySasaki and CorpseFlower like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Purellian View Post
    There are people who enjoy the contests so much that they spend as little time battling their pokemon as they can and instead focus on only doing contests. Or making movies at Pokewood, or playing the Pokeathlon, etc. etc. For shame! How dare they spend more time on the part of the game that they like the most? That doesn't make any sense at all! On top of that, why should it matter to me how anyone else chooses to play their own copy of the game?
    Buying a game when only 20% of the content appeals to you doesn't make much sense to me.

When I was a kid of like, 12, I used to enjoy playing GTA2. One of my favourite things to do was to put in a bunch of cheats (invincible, unlimited ammo, all ears etc) and just wander around randomly, not doing the missions set out, but generally playing with the different guns and stealing different cars to run over pedestrians. Annoying the cops and then exploding a bunch of them. That kinda thing.

I let one of my friends have a go on it one day - she was really pleased to actually have the controls handed to her, because although her brothers had the game they didn't let her play. However, to my surprise, she mostly just drove around aimlessly in one car and fiddled with the radio. After a while I asked if she was getting bored and she said no, she was having fun. I told her if she just wanted to drive around I had Driver 2; we could play that instead. She declined. I mentioned that there were guns and missions if she wanted to try them, but again she said she was happy just doing what she was doing.

Now here's my point: why play GTA if you don't want to do the core things that GTA is about? Why, indeed, would you pay money for a Pokemon game which is (and likely always will be) a game about raising your monsters, battling them against other trainers, and challenging gym leaders/the elite four if all of this bores you and all you want to do is play dress-up in the musical theater, which is a very minor part of the games? There's a difference between playing a game your way whilst still enjoying the things it has to offer (as I did with GTA and I believe most do with Pokemon) and doing what my friend did. Now I'm not saying that her way was wrong. She had fun. Good for her, and if you want to play a pokemon game to ignore the main storyline and do contests and have fun, then good for you too. I'm not here to demonize anyone. But it is a little strange to me that you wouldn't just pick a game better suited to you in the first place. If you primarily want to put clothes on an avatar and move furniture around but have hardly any interest in type advantages, team building and level grinding to make sure the latest gyn leader doesn't flatten you, why even pick up a Pokemon game in the first place when The Sims and Animal Crossing won't have annoying battles getting in all the way of what you actually want to be doing? That's all I was trying to say. Maybe don't buy Crash Bandicoot for the racing level when you can buy Crash Team Racing.

Anyofftopic! The Contests and the Musicals have a crucial difference to customisation - the former two are based around the Pokemon, and the latter is based around the trainer. I feel the Pokemon games are at their best when they keep focus on the Pokemon, not the trainer. So long as customisation remains an addition to the game and not a spotlight stealer to the mons, I have no problem with it. I view the PC as my doorway to the game - if you wanna hang up a little tinsel in it, cool. But let's not start painting it or buying fancy doorbells, because in the end I just wanna walk through it, y'know?

sorry for any weird metaphors it's after 1am and I have a bad head cold

I think it'd be cute to walk onto a rainy route and have my pc take out an umbrella to carry around
    I WANT THIS!! <3

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

So has any of you had been highly disappointed with the past games because they didn't have trainer customization? Just wondering.

I wish they allowed a lab coat as part of customization if there is :3 I'd love dressing my character as a scientist XDD

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post

I repeat - this is pokemon, not the sims. We don't need too much customization.
    The character customization would only take a few minutes at the start of the game and that's it. probably a couple of times thorughout the game to add accesories, and that's it, the rest of the game would go unchanged. Saying that it would make Pokémon too much like The Sims makes as much sense as saying that Mario games are too much like FPS's just because you shoot fireballs.
    CorpseFlower, Owain and The_Doctor like this.

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

I honestly dont see how Character customization would affect the game all that much, it's simply making a character that looks a more like the person playing, the focus would still be on the Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by johnr754 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja-Mage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    Customizations are fine and all - but they should be limited to clothing and accessories. If they enabled skin color as part of customizing, there will be one heck of an uproar on that about skin color issues and the like.

Well, maybe hairstyles could be acceptable as well
    Why would skin color be an issue? If anything it should be a bigger issue if they don't allow customization of that lol
    No one wants another Jynx and Lenora incident.
    There was a Lenora incident?
    Game likes SvR let you customize your character's skin tone. They get no flack for that. I don't see why it'd be a problem here. Mii's can be black, yellow, red, green, okay not green, or white. I don't think skin tone would be a problem.

I don't think they would take it too far. People probably wouldn't be able to have extravagant avatars. But simple ones, especially if this would be the first game to do this for a main series game.
    And the secret bases deal. I feel that being able to customize the crap out of your secret base wouldn't be bad. I mean, when Ruby and Sapphire came out, I logged in over 300 hours on Sapphire. I collected all of the Pokemon, and built my base. And with the new games, with the main focus after collecting the gym badges is collecting all of the Pokemon, I've only logged in around 100 hours collectively on BW and BW2. I think that bases and what not would be good for long term play.

Blog Entries

i think the only thing i would NOT like if we had customization would be if all the coolest outfits were event only or like dlc :/ i'd want everything available in-game

Quote Originally Posted by FreeXax View Post
    There was a Lenora incident?
    I think they're referring to how Lenora was originally designed wearing an apron, and then some idiot decided that was racist (because aprons imply slavery? idk) so they changed it.

They've allowed skin colour customisation for the miis so there's no reason why, if customisation was included, they shouldn't allow it. Of course it would depend on how much customisation we get, but I don't think they'd avoid it because of 'race' reasons. As someone said above, it'd surely be more racist to say 'we aren't including any other skin tone in our colour palette than toilet-paper-white because we don't want to offend non-caucasians' xD

I think that bases and what not would be good for long term play.
    I didn't enjoy the secret base feature, but then I didn't enjoy 3rd gen visuals as a whole. I think if they wanted to bring em back now is the time, when glorious 3d graphics have just been introduced. Just the trailer for XY makes me drool!

Red
    Blog Entries
    Follow Red On Twitter Add Red on Facebook Add Red on Google+
    Visit Red's Youtube Channel

I have desperately craved customization since Pokemon existed. Well, since I started experiencing RPGs anyway. I love immersing myself in this world, and being able to develop my own avatar would be a dream come true. For me and my wife, as we've never been taken by the standard avatars. I love extra goodies, I loved the additive features that RSE introduced, and I want secret bases back aswell. Pokemon should be a second world you could live in, and adding customization features for the PC would be a gracious bonus. If you don't want to customize, then allow those players to "Skip".

But give it to us.
    Y: COMING SOON
    BLACK: 4213-4161-1545
    SOULSILVER: 3741-1763-4063

-You're really irritating.
    -Does irritating mean 'fun'?

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Lenora incident was more so because she literally looked like the Aunt Jemimah stereotype, despite being a fossil maniac, and the Japanese version didn't help by having her title literally being "Natural Born Mama". It's not because Jynx and Lenora were dark-skinned that caused the problem, it was because they both, intentionally or not, resembled classic stereotypes of black women.

Having the option to change skin color is something I think Pokemon should really do. We've had 5+ generations of Caucasian characters, I think it's time to have a bit more diversity when it comes to our personality-less avatars.

The Great and Powerful TheBugChampion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro ~ Bajeena View Post
    The Lenora incident was more so because she literally looked like the Aunt Jemimah stereotype, despite being a fossil maniac, and the Japanese version didn't help by having her title literally being "Natural Born Mama". It's not because Jynx and Lenora were dark-skinned that caused the problem, it was because they both, intentionally or not, resembled classic stereotypes of black women.

Having the option to change skin color is something I think Pokemon should really do. We've had 5+ generations of Caucasian characters, I think it's time to have a bit more diversity when it comes to our personality-less avatars.
    thank you for your *actual* explanation of said incidents. :)

i dont see why we've never really been able to pick from the list of npc sprites like we can for linking/battling w other trainers. i mean i GET why, but still it would have been easy. except i guess they dont all have backsprites. sooo *shrug*

Page 18 of 72 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast