Trainer Customization - Page 17

Page 17 of 72 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 1069
Like Tree859Likes

Thread: Trainer Customization

  1. #241
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Trainer Customization

    Quote Originally Posted by VeggiePopper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja-Mage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraWolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruttager View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraWolf View Post
    What is so special about customizing characters anyway. Plenty of other JRPGs don't let the PC be customized. Just seems like a pointless side quest to be added
    Most characters in JRPGs also have an ounce of personality too, unlike every cheerful go-getter we get as a new player character in this series. Really, I can hardly contain my excitement wondering what kind of peppy, unthreatening pose the new avatars will be in and what kind of Poke balls they'll be holding in their respective pieces of artwork; think the boy'll have his hands on his hips with a regular Poke ball? Oh, or maybe he'll have his left arm thrust out holding an Ultra ball. Also, do you think he'll have a closed or open-mouth smile?

    Seriously though, the kind of customization already available in the core mechanic of the game, i.e. deciding what creatures to catch and use on your team, is already unprecedented and is about to expand, this time onto a 3D plane, again. I'm as much for character customizationas the next guy, if only for the sake of self-expression, but it's probably good to keep things in perspective at this point. That said, I'm really hoping those sunglasses can be swapped out.
    I'm just saying if Millions of people can play through every Zelda game without an ounce of customization, you can make it through another Pokemon game without. If you want customization so badly play the contests or musicals
    The difference is Pokemon is meant to be played with friends and strangers all over. Zelda has always been a single player experience. Though it started more in the sense that you the player are suppose to pretend you're a hero, that's just not the case these days. Even my mom knows when you play Zelda you're playing Link's story.

    Pokemon is different, from its first game release multiplayer was a major part of the game. Since then its only evolved, now we can play against and trade with players half a world away. On top of multiplayer, customization as well has been a critical part of the game. The ability to customize a party of six from 680+ critters, customize their moves, their stats, even their breed. Pokemon has been hinting at trainer custimization since the moment you could change your characters name(granted this is true of almost all jrpgs but just go with me for a moment). And it's been begging for it since diamond and pearl when we could battle online with anyone. Pokemon has always been your story, its a very personal story. There's a reason why the cartridges only have one save file. It's yours. So why not allow players to make their avatar more personal as well?
    This.

    Also, the Zelda Universe has a stablished and deep continuity, and Link's appearance is most of the time relevant to the story (it is the tunic wore by the race he was raised in, it is given to him as a sign of his destiny, etc.), that's why you can't customize Link- because he is Link, a set character whose actions influence not only the particular game you're playing, but also the games that follow, whereas in Pokémon, not only the protagonists aren't ever mentioned in further games, we actually don't know who the canon protagonist is, so in terms of series' overall continuity, it doesn't matter what the hero looks like.
    Pokèmon Trainer Red says hi.


    As long as they don't overdo it so it's like the Sims, there shouldn't be much of a problem. Just a minimum amount of customizing should be fine.

  2. #242
    Registered User Kojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    298

    Default Re: Trainer Customization

    The real question is, why shouldn't there be trainer customization? Are people actually arguing against it?

    We've always been able to choose the gender and name of our protagonists. I don't see why they can't go further and just allow us to change how they look. The protagonist barely needs to have relevance in future canon anyway. Ethan didn't appear in any later games. Brendan didn't appear in any later games. Lucas didn't appear in any later games. And Hilbert/Hilda was a no show in BW2.
    The_Doctor and Owain like this.

  3. #243
    Registered User Ninja-Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    California
    Posts
    254

    Default Re: Trainer Customization

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggiePopper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja-Mage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraWolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruttager View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraWolf View Post
    What is so special about customizing characters anyway. Plenty of other JRPGs don't let the PC be customized. Just seems like a pointless side quest to be added
    Most characters in JRPGs also have an ounce of personality too, unlike every cheerful go-getter we get as a new player character in this series. Really, I can hardly contain my excitement wondering what kind of peppy, unthreatening pose the new avatars will be in and what kind of Poke balls they'll be holding in their respective pieces of artwork; think the boy'll have his hands on his hips with a regular Poke ball? Oh, or maybe he'll have his left arm thrust out holding an Ultra ball. Also, do you think he'll have a closed or open-mouth smile?

    Seriously though, the kind of customization already available in the core mechanic of the game, i.e. deciding what creatures to catch and use on your team, is already unprecedented and is about to expand, this time onto a 3D plane, again. I'm as much for character customizationas the next guy, if only for the sake of self-expression, but it's probably good to keep things in perspective at this point. That said, I'm really hoping those sunglasses can be swapped out.
    I'm just saying if Millions of people can play through every Zelda game without an ounce of customization, you can make it through another Pokemon game without. If you want customization so badly play the contests or musicals
    The difference is Pokemon is meant to be played with friends and strangers all over. Zelda has always been a single player experience. Though it started more in the sense that you the player are suppose to pretend you're a hero, that's just not the case these days. Even my mom knows when you play Zelda you're playing Link's story.

    Pokemon is different, from its first game release multiplayer was a major part of the game. Since then its only evolved, now we can play against and trade with players half a world away. On top of multiplayer, customization as well has been a critical part of the game. The ability to customize a party of six from 680+ critters, customize their moves, their stats, even their breed. Pokemon has been hinting at trainer custimization since the moment you could change your characters name(granted this is true of almost all jrpgs but just go with me for a moment). And it's been begging for it since diamond and pearl when we could battle online with anyone. Pokemon has always been your story, its a very personal story. There's a reason why the cartridges only have one save file. It's yours. So why not allow players to make their avatar more personal as well?
    This.

    Also, the Zelda Universe has a stablished and deep continuity, and Link's appearance is most of the time relevant to the story (it is the tunic wore by the race he was raised in, it is given to him as a sign of his destiny, etc.), that's why you can't customize Link- because he is Link, a set character whose actions influence not only the particular game you're playing, but also the games that follow, whereas in Pokémon, not only the protagonists aren't ever mentioned in further games, we actually don't know who the canon protagonist is, so in terms of series' overall continuity, it doesn't matter what the hero looks like.
    Pokèmon Trainer Red says hi.


    As long as they don't overdo it so it's like the Sims, there shouldn't be much of a problem. Just a minimum amount of customizing should be fine.
    Red was the exception, not the rule. Since then none of the trainers have ever appeared or even been mentioned. Hilbert/Hilda were regarded as nameless heroes unless you transferred your save data then the name you choose was mentioned.

  4. #244
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Trainer Customization

    Quote Originally Posted by Kojo View Post
    The real question is, why shouldn't there be trainer customization? Are people actually arguing against it?

    We've always been able to choose the gender and name of our protagonists. I don't see why they can't go further and just allow us to change how they look. The protagonist barely needs to have relevance in future canon anyway. Ethan didn't appear in any later games. Brendan didn't appear in any later games. Lucas didn't appear in any later games. And Hilbert/Hilda was a no show in BW2.
    Uh, Pokemon Trainer Red?

    Also, it's Pokemon. We're playing the games with POKEMONS, and the story is focused on POKEMONS, not ourselves. In that sense, we're all nameless heroes that won't get another appearance in the future, so too much customization would be overdoing it since it's for only one game.

    And I never said I was against it. Just keeping it to a minimum would be fine. Because this is Pokemon, not the Sims.

  5. #245
    Registered User Kojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    298

    Default Re: Trainer Customization

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojo View Post
    The real question is, why shouldn't there be trainer customization? Are people actually arguing against it?

    We've always been able to choose the gender and name of our protagonists. I don't see why they can't go further and just allow us to change how they look. The protagonist barely needs to have relevance in future canon anyway. Ethan didn't appear in any later games. Brendan didn't appear in any later games. Lucas didn't appear in any later games. And Hilbert/Hilda was a no show in BW2.
    Uh, Pokemon Trainer Red?

    Also, it's Pokemon. We're playing the games with POKEMONS, and the story is focused on POKEMONS, not ourselves. In that sense, we're all nameless heroes that won't get another appearance in the future, so too much customization would be overdoing it since it's for only one game.

    And I never said I was against it. Just keeping it to a minimum would be fine. Because this is Pokemon, not the Sims.
    Yeah, Red. One exception out of all the protagonists, which still made little sense if you named your character anything other than "Red" or chose the girl in FR/LG.

    Yes the game is focused on Pokemon, but it doesn't stop character customization from being a good feature. Especially if they're focusing on multiplayer as much as they're implying. Why would I want my character to look the same as everyone else? There was plenty of customization in PBR and the focus was still plenty on Pokemon, so I don't see how it could be a problem here. It's not really straying from Pokemon any more than stuff like secret bases and Sinnoh underground did.
    Last edited by Kojo; 17th February 2013 at 10:27 PM.

  6. #246
    Registered User Ninja-Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    California
    Posts
    254

    Default Re: Trainer Customization

    Quote Originally Posted by Kojo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojo View Post
    The real question is, why shouldn't there be trainer customization? Are people actually arguing against it?

    We've always been able to choose the gender and name of our protagonists. I don't see why they can't go further and just allow us to change how they look. The protagonist barely needs to have relevance in future canon anyway. Ethan didn't appear in any later games. Brendan didn't appear in any later games. Lucas didn't appear in any later games. And Hilbert/Hilda was a no show in BW2.
    Uh, Pokemon Trainer Red?

    Also, it's Pokemon. We're playing the games with POKEMONS, and the story is focused on POKEMONS, not ourselves. In that sense, we're all nameless heroes that won't get another appearance in the future, so too much customization would be overdoing it since it's for only one game.

    And I never said I was against it. Just keeping it to a minimum would be fine. Because this is Pokemon, not the Sims.
    Yeah, Red. One exception out of all the protagonists, which still made little sense if you named your character anything other than "Red" or chose the girl in FR/LG.

    Yes the game is focused on Pokemon, but it doesn't stop character customization from being a good feature. Especially if they're focusing on multiplayer as much as they're implying. Why would I want my character to look the same as everyone else? There was plenty of customization in PBR and the focus was still plenty on Pokemon, so I don't see how it could be a problem here.
    Yah I don't see why adding a robust character creation and customization system would hurt the over all game. Despite what we all believe game freak does not, ill repeat, DOES NOT, break the mold every game. They copy and paste a already perfected system from 3 generations past, add in 100+ new creatures, and create a new area. Them adding a character creator even on the level of skyrim will not take away from the actual game. You'll still be playing the same game you love, only now it'd be a truly personalized experience.

    People love character creators, the fact this thread is still going is proof to that. So what if the characters for only for one game, that just means we get to create again the next game.

  7. #247
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Trainer Customization

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja-Mage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojo View Post
    The real question is, why shouldn't there be trainer customization? Are people actually arguing against it?

    We've always been able to choose the gender and name of our protagonists. I don't see why they can't go further and just allow us to change how they look. The protagonist barely needs to have relevance in future canon anyway. Ethan didn't appear in any later games. Brendan didn't appear in any later games. Lucas didn't appear in any later games. And Hilbert/Hilda was a no show in BW2.
    Uh, Pokemon Trainer Red?

    Also, it's Pokemon. We're playing the games with POKEMONS, and the story is focused on POKEMONS, not ourselves. In that sense, we're all nameless heroes that won't get another appearance in the future, so too much customization would be overdoing it since it's for only one game.

    And I never said I was against it. Just keeping it to a minimum would be fine. Because this is Pokemon, not the Sims.
    Yeah, Red. One exception out of all the protagonists, which still made little sense if you named your character anything other than "Red" or chose the girl in FR/LG.

    Yes the game is focused on Pokemon, but it doesn't stop character customization from being a good feature. Especially if they're focusing on multiplayer as much as they're implying. Why would I want my character to look the same as everyone else? There was plenty of customization in PBR and the focus was still plenty on Pokemon, so I don't see how it could be a problem here.
    Yah I don't see why adding a robust character creation and customization system would hurt the over all game. Despite what we all believe game freak does not, ill repeat, DOES NOT, break the mold every game. They copy and paste a already perfected system from 3 generations past, add in 100+ new creatures, and create a new area. Them adding a character creator even on the level of skyrim will not take away from the actual game. You'll still be playing the same game you love, only now it'd be a truly personalized experience.

    People love character creators, the fact this thread is still going is proof to that. So what if the characters for only for one game, that just means we get to create again the next game.
    ... I said I was never against it. I only said it would be good if it were kept to a minimum. I admit, if they have a whole set of Steven Stone cosplay items or N's clothing, I am so going to dress up my character XDD

    I repeat - this is pokemon, not the sims. We don't need too much customization.

  8. #248
    Soul Suckin' Jerk Beck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Where It's At!
    Posts
    1,230
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Trainer Customization

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    I repeat - this is Pokemon, not the Sims. We don't need too much customization.
    But what is too much character customization?

  9. #249
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Trainer Customization

    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    I repeat - this is Pokemon, not the Sims. We don't need too much customization.
    But what is too much character customization?
    The games focusing on customization too much that the quality of the actual game-play being downgraded. New things are good and I'd like it as well, but if it affects the actual game-play negatively in anyway, then that's overdoing it.

    But meh, someone already said that GF probably knows what they're doing. Of course they'd put the main system above everything else - maybe I'm just worrying too much.

  10. #250
    My Sword Hand Twitches! Owain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    3,024
    Blog Entries
    67

    Follow Owain on Tumblr

    Default Re: Trainer Customization

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    I repeat - this is Pokemon, not the Sims. We don't need too much customization.
    But what is too much character customization?
    The games focusing on customization too much that the quality of the actual game-play being downgraded. New things are good and I'd like it as well, but if it affects the actual game-play negatively in anyway, then that's overdoing it.

    But meh, someone already said that GF probably knows what they're doing. Of course they'd put the main system above everything else - maybe I'm just worrying too much.
    Yes, you are, I frankly can't see any good arguments against the feature, ''just for one game'', how do we even know it's just for one game? and even if it is, it's an added bonus, not something against the game.

  11. #251
    Registered User Codface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    562
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default Re: Trainer Customization

    Good arguement against this feature

    Trainer customisation pack - estore - 2.99$

    You want nintendo to rip kids off with exclusive pay content pikachu hats?

    But seriously if this was an EA game it would be a valid arguement.

  12. #252
    Registered User Ninja-Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    California
    Posts
    254

    Default Re: Trainer Customization

    Quote Originally Posted by Codface View Post
    Good arguement against this feature

    Trainer customisation pack - estore - 2.99$

    You want nintendo to rip kids off with exclusive pay content pikachu hats?

    But seriously if this was an EA game it would be a valid arguement.
    Counter argument, animal crossing has character custimization and this has yet to happen. Dlc will likely be in the form of a combination of things such as a new event Pokemon as well as some clothing.

  13. #253
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Trainer Customization

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja-Mage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Codface View Post
    Good arguement against this feature

    Trainer customisation pack - estore - 2.99$

    You want nintendo to rip kids off with exclusive pay content pikachu hats?

    But seriously if this was an EA game it would be a valid arguement.
    Counter argument, animal crossing has character custimization and this has yet to happen. Dlc will likely be in the form of a combination of things such as a new event Pokemon as well as some clothing.
    Counter-counter argument. Pokemon=/=Animal Crossing

    Both are completely different games that aren't comparable. One is about conquering eight badges, defeating the villains, seeking out legendaries, and becoming champion. The other is just life simulation.

  14. #254
    Nyx
    Nyx is offline
    What does the Vulpix say? Nyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    BMGf
    Posts
    696

    Default Re: Trainer Customization

    This whole "character customization will turn Pokemon into the Sims" argument is invalid. Customization is a huge part of the Sims games. Do you honestly think customization will ever play a big role in the Pokemon games (if we ever actually get it that is)? Besides, there's a ton of other games featuring character customization out there -- why not Pokemon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Codface View Post
    But seriously if this was an EA game it would be a valid arguement.
    If Pokemon was an EA game, we would start out with only 10 Pokemon and we would have to pay another 40$ to download the rest (excluding Legendaries of course).

  15. #255
    like pepsi cola LadySasaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    rainy old england
    Posts
    200

    Default Re: Trainer Customization

    I'd like to customise based on the very simple and subjective reason that I took one look at the male playable character and thought DO NOT WANT.

    The female has grown on me though, so even if we can't customise I'll just stick with her on my multiple playthroughs.

    Also, it's Pokemon. We're playing the games with POKEMONS, and the story is focused on POKEMONS, not ourselves. In that sense, we're all nameless heroes that won't get another appearance in the future, so too much customization would be overdoing it since it's for only one game.

    And I never said I was against it. Just keeping it to a minimum would be fine. Because this is Pokemon, not the Sims.
    This. A little customisation (accessories, colour of clothes, maaaybe hair style) would be fun. But total customisation would imo be overdoing it and taking the focus away from the pocket monsters. They're the real focus of the game, not the player's avatar, and they should stay that way.

    I breed egg move pokes & DW females.

Page 17 of 72 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •