TM and HMs: How will they change. - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: TM and HMs: How will they change.

Blog Entries

Default Re: TM and HMs: How will they change.

I hope the TMs and HMs don't change, personally, especially now that the TMs have infinite uses. That was something that I have wanted to see for years, and after getting used to it in Gen 5, it makes it harder for me to use the TMs in previous generations now. So I definitely hope they don't change a thing with how the TMs work now.

As for HMs, even though yes many parts of Europe are landlocked, I can still see them returning and serving the same use as they have always done. They're there for a reason, to serve as puzzle-solvers and to prevent you from going too far ahead in the game early on when you're not supposed to yet (which is why Gens 1-4 had HMs require badges, so you wouldn't trade HM users in and go farther ahead without the badges, though that is null in Gen 5). The games are also largely RPG-like in nature, so obstacles are bound to appear. Even if they outright got rid of the necessities of HMs, which I honestly doubt they will, they will still incorporate some sort of obstacles that you have to figure out how to bypass.

And besides, in regards to Surf, there's still always ponds, small lakes and rivers.
    Owain and UnovaCastaway like this.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Akai View Post
    The games are also largely RPG-like in nature, so obstacles are bound to appear. Even if they outright got rid of the necessities of HMs, which I honestly doubt they will, they will still incorporate some sort of obstacles that you have to figure out how to bypass.

And besides, in regards to Surf, there's still always ponds, small lakes and rivers.

I was about to post that aswell, if we get rid of HMs another obstacles will take their places, but you could argue that an item system would be better, for diving you get diving equipment, and you always needed a bike for the cycling road.

And yeah people, putting ponds and rivers aside, artistic licenses have their place in Pokémon, they could easily pull an ocean a little left of Paris, and I'd be tottaly OK with it.
    Isamu Akai likes this.

The one thing I'd want to see is Field Moves being inherent to the Pokemon.

IE - All Diglet can use Dig in the field, regardless of if they have the move in their moveset for battles. All Lapras can use Surf. It could be a new passive "Ability". You could even rename the Field moves different names so that people don't get confused and to separate them from using Surf in a battle.

Cut > Machete, Surf > Swim, Strength > Push. Etc. etc.

This way you don't need HM slaves at all. Gen V worked towards this, and I want Gen VI to complete it.
    Shiny Celebi likes this.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post

IE - All Diglet can use Dig in the field, regardless of if they have the move in their moveset for battles. All Lapras can use Surf. It could be a new passive "Ability". You could even rename the Field moves different names so that people don't get confused and to separate them from using Surf in a battle.
    That would just be game breaking, and enable people to bypass obstacles much sooner than what would normally be intended. Yes it would be more realistic, but I don't really approve of the idea.

Visit Dralcax's Youtube Channel

I want HMs to be like normal TMs. As long as they don't let you forget Surf in the middle of the water, it should be fine for HM moves to be forgettable, you can always just reteach them if necessary. OK, they shouldn't let you throw the HMs away or anything, but getting trapped shouldn't be an issue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dralcax View Post
    I want HMs to be like normal TMs. As long as they don't let you forget Surf in the middle of the water, it should be fine for HM moves to be forgettable, you can always just reteach them if necessary. OK, they shouldn't let you throw the HMs away or anything, but getting trapped shouldn't be an issue.
    There have been situations where it is entirely possible to get trapped. And besides, not everyone uses the HM items to teach HM moves. It is entirely possible to trade in HM Users via trade and not even bother to collect (some of) the actual HMs from NPCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Akai View Post

That would just be game breaking, and enable people to bypass obstacles much sooner than what would normally be intended. Yes it would be more realistic, but I don't really approve of the idea.
    1) Gen V had no obstacles in the main storyline. Nearly all obstacles were for sidequests/optional areas/legendaries.
    2) Badges can be used as event flags to prevent bypassing obstacles early if this is truly a problem.
    3) You can already trade Pokemon with HM moves to players who don't have the corresponding HMs. It's been like that since Gen I.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Blog Entries

3) You can already trade Pokemon with HM moves to players who don't have the corresponding HMs. It's been like that since Gen I.
    Yes. Which was why HMs also required the badges, at the time.

I still don't approve of the idea though.
    Owain likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234