TM and HMs: How will they change.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TM and HMs: How will they change.

Blog Entries

Visit szmty's Youtube Channel

Default TM and HMs: How will they change.

I was wondering, do you think we'll still need HMs in the next games? Up to this moment, it's apparent that the new region will be based on the Île-de-France, which is completely landlocked. That made me to think that HMs like Surf and Waterfall would be pretty useless. Cut could survive, as does Strenght, and Rock Smash could be reintroduced. However, without any big lake or sea to cross, Surf could become a TM, as does Waterfall. Those HMs have never been TMs before, and I wouldn't like them to change their positions, but it's a possibility.
    We don't know much about the new games, but we can keep wondering about them, and I wonder what will happen to HMs. They could even disappear. TMs lasting infinitely just like HMs is a possible hint of their fusion.

TMs themselves, will most probably increase in number. I can see at least 100 TMs. What moves do you want to see as TMs?

Default Re: TM and HMs: How will they change.

Im guessing TMs will remain permanent like in Gen 5. I dont know about HMs, we dont know much about the region, so dont know what kind of terrain it really has, Im sure Surf will be required at some point. Id kinda like for HMs to go away but that might not happen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aquanova View Post
    Im guessing TMs will remain permanent like in Gen 5. I dont know about HMs, we dont know much about the region, so dont know what kind of terrain it really has, Im sure Surf will be required at some point. Id kinda like for HMs to go away but that might not happen.
    I'm kinda worried because I like HMs. Fly is the most useful of them so far in my opinion, that one can't go because you need it for crossing the map fast. Surf is my favourite HM however, and I didn't liked that B/W/B2/W2 made it almost useless; Unova was filled with bridges. I think that it's the first region that doesn't forces you to use Surf on a route. Hoenn and Sinnoh had a lot of water routes and I'd love if this new region was like them. So far it seems it will not.

Blog Entries

Follow GatoRage on Tumblr

They better keep TM's reusable. One of the best things that has ever happened to the series in my opinion.

I do hope they make it so HM's like Cut aren't needed too much for the main quest. GenV did a good job with that. It's pretty annoying to have to take a Pokemon out of a box just to use Cut or Whirlpool or some weak HM move that you're very unlikely to have one of your party Pokemon know.

Definitely an "F" ticket! Shiny Porygon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by szmty View Post
    I was wondering, do you think we'll still need HMs in the next games? Up to this moment, it's apparent that the new region will be based on the Île-de-France, which is completely landlocked. That made me to think that HMs like Surf and Waterfall would be pretty useless.
    It might not necessarily be land-locked. GF are fond of artistic licence - we saw a rather space age building in the trailer, and based on precedent we can expect deserts in PokéParis.

I'd love to see moves that were once widely distributed as Gen. 6 TMs, especially Seismic Toss so we don't have to transfer ST Chansey or Blissey all the way from Gen. 3 to Gen. 6.

Gen. 5 gym leader TMs are most likely to be cut: Volt Switch users will be hit hardest in this respect. Oh, and Acrobatics too.
    Last edited by Shiny Porygon; 8th January 2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: specify Chansey

HMs werent really used much in Unova though, I kinda liked that you didnt have to use them much, its annoying that you can't delete them and have to waste a moveslot either on a team member or have an HM slave. Kinda hoping they keep that in X an Y.

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

I want to get rid pointless TMs/HMs that you HAVE to learn to progress, whirlpool, waterfall, flash, cut ect.. it means putting 1 pokemon in my team i dont even like dont even train just a..HM slave and having to switch out my pokemon all the time is annoying..

it may be based in france but that dosent mean there wont be lots of islands around it ,its still an imaginary world there could be anything in the region and i doubt very much they will remove surf

Blog Entries

I'm mixed on this topic. HMs like Fly, Strength and Surf are fine with me, as they're both useful in and out of battle, but ones like Cut, Whirlpool, and Waterfall are a bit annoying (especially Cut and Whirlpool). If they could make HMs the same way as TMs are (able to delete and relearn without a Move Deleter), then I would be for it. I mean, if they made TMs unlimited in Gen V, then maybe they could just turn HMs into new TMs. A major thing I liked about Gen V (other than the obvious unlimited use TMs), was that HMs served no major purpose in-game. Again, Fly, Strength and Surf can stay, but I was glad that you only needed Cut for things like side quests. But if they could get rid of the useless HMs, keeping only the ones that are really vital (Fly, Strength, Surf), then I would settle for that.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GatoRage View Post
    They better keep TM's reusable. One of the best things that has ever happened to the series in my opinion.

I do hope they make it so HM's like Cut aren't needed too much for the main quest. GenV did a good job with that. It's pretty annoying to have to take a Pokemon out of a box just to use Cut or Whirlpool or some weak HM move that you're very unlikely to have one of your party Pokemon know.
    Most of the trees that can be cut usually just block an alternate path, or are blocking a little alley with an item, and that's been for the entire series. Pushable boulders in caves will reappear, but I don't think many players cross caves to get to other places after getting Fly.
    The thing with HMs is that most of them are weak. Surf and Fly are pretty strong in my opinion. I've been able to knock out a lot of Pokémon with higher level than mines with those attacks. However I agree that moves like Cut are very weak indeed. I think that's why it's the first HM they give you, because you won't be forced to use it again, so you can put it on one of your weak Pokémon that you'll later store in the PC.

The Killy Killy Joker Kanon Shirogane's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hope they get rid of some of the more useless TM's like Struggle Bug, Round, Snarl, etc. And bring some of the more useful one's like Giga Drain and Dark Pulse. I just hope the new moves they create aren't kinda useless or stupid like in Black and White (Round would be the best example.)

Visit Apex's Youtube Channel

Return Dark Pulse and Dragon Pulse! It made it harder since there were no Special Dragon/Dark moves via tm.

SEAHAWKS SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS

Blog Entries

I hope they get rid of HMs somehow.

Fly feels a bit redundant if you really think about it. It works as an in-battle move since you actually damage your opponent, but in the OW? There you use it to simply fly, something I believe Flying-type Pokemon already knows how to do in the first place. If they can fly already then why should we need to teach them a move when they can already execute it themselves? Same applies to Surf. It's an in-battle damaging move, but in the OW it's just used for surfing, which I believe Water-types knows how to do anyway.

Either give us a new method of transportation or let us just Fly in the air/Surf on the waves as we please, with certain restrictions of course (like, until a specific point in the story) so you're not able to explore every place from the start.

Claims: Dialga | Multitype | Judgment | Adamant Orb | Draco Plate

Hyping over Steven Stone Kyriaki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

I really wish they got rid of Flash just to explore a cave to get some Rare Candy we're never going to use anyways. And just put some lamps in Victory Road - we're already suffering from all those trainers in there anyways, we don't need the dark to be so hard on us.

As for HMs, I don't mind having Surf and Fly, and Waterfall is useful in battle since it's pretty powerful. But I wish they would stop with blocking the road with a small tree that we could kick down, and force us to learn Cut.

Oh, I also want them to keep Dive, but expand more underwater exploration. Dive in Gen 5 had been horribly restricted to the Abyssal Ruins, but in Gen 3, you needed Dive to complete the Aqua/Magma crisis AND get to Sootopolis the first time, not to mention there were pokemon that only lives in underwater seaweeds. So I hope they make more uses for Dive for post-game exploration, if they're going to keep it as an HM.

Quote Originally Posted by szmty View Post
    TMs themselves, will most probably increase in number. I can see at least 100 TMs. What moves do you want to see as TMs?
    That wouldn't be an increase, if they ditch HMs (no real point differentiating them any more if TMs remain infinite use), there was 95 TMs in Generation V, and there's more than 5 HMs.

God forgives, I don't. SinCosTan's Avatar

There are 6HM's for a total of 101 moves through Technical and Hidden Machines. I think HM's should become TM's for convenience. Gamefreak should add 99 more for a total of 200. 50 can be new moves and 49 can be old moves.

These moves could be things like elemental punches, dark pulse, giga drain, drain punch, double edge and other GOOD moves that were given the shaft
    When you find yourself in hell, dance with the devil.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast