Those who Stand Alone - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Those who Stand Alone

I'd rather have two sets of two evolutions than one three-chain and a one-off, is all I'm saying. Adding tons of babies and evolutions takes away space from places more original Pokemon could be added. Now that Gen IV was spent primarily fixing the previous generation's evolution lines, I want Gen V to contain next to no new evolutions of old Pokemon, like Generation III.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Blog Entries

There may be a pattern forming. Odd generations introduce mostly new Pokemon and even generations are used as buffers and really just introduce new takes on old ideas. Of course, not enough games have been released for any pattern to be readily evident, but...it could happen. And people have based assumptions on fewer games (i.e., everyone constantly saying that each new generation will have new types).

eh that's a stray assumption. I blame it on lack of creativity

Why? These Pokemon were very creative, more creative then the RBY ones...

Yes, they were.

eh that's a stray assumption. I blame it on lack of creativity
    Generation II was also 1/3rd old evolutions and babies, though. Just like this one was.

SHHH! Don't insult GS infront of Justin!

Seriously though GS is the epitome of the series, I don't think anything will ever match the new ideas and how they linked the old game perfectly with it.

GS :( <3.

Wikipedia's entry sums it up exactly

Legacy
    For many current and former players, these two games represent the pinnacle of the video game series. While these games advance into a new region, they maintain the feel of the original games, especially with the artistic style of the 100 Metal-era Pok&#233;mon, the ability to go to Kanto after beating Johto, and the ability to trade Pok&#233;mon to and from R/B/Y and G/S/C.

However, they also introduced new ideas and precedents for later games. The day/night cycle was profusely praised, because players liked the added strategy of catching different Pok&#233;mon at different times of the day. Its removal in the third generation was met with much criticism, but it has been restored for the fourth generation. The inclusion of the “radio” for listening to different music while not in a cave was also missed in the next generation. Additionally, the concepts of item holding, breeding, an internal clock, special “shiny” Pok&#233;mon (though without the inheritance of the trait through breeding), an EXP bar that shows how much EXP a Pok&#233;mon has to obtain before leveling up, Pok&#233;mon genders (male and female) and others have carried over to later games.

However, the battery used to power the clock is not rechargeable, and so the battery will inevitably fail and the save file will either be deleted or corrupted. This was first noted in emulation of the game. Now, many players have already reported the battery failing.[citation needed] It can be replaced with a standard CR2025 watch battery, although this requires opening the cartridge, removing the old battery, and soldering the new battery to the battery tabs.

Wikipedia + Summing Up = Opinion of Someone.

EDIT:

Wi-Fi >>>> Everything.

No my opinion of GS was that before I went to the GS article today to reference the features that were actually implemented from the RBY - GS change. I loved GS with all my heart as the best Pokemon game ever, still do.

DP looks like it didn't do anything "new" at all...at all.

I made this the other day too :D

Um....letting players battle each other all over the world is nothing?

It's minor, meaning it's a natural progession for what should have been anyway. It doesn't really advance the in game series though. Where is my weather? My holidays? My events? The radio the cell phone? The old regions?

...oh that's right they'll probably be in the third game, but only 1/3 of that stuff.

It's not minor.

Blog Entries

It's most definitely not minor. Trading through the regular wireless abilities of the DS would have been minor and expected (necessary, in fact). GLOBAL Wi-Fi trading is an innovation in the Pokemon series. It takes the games to a whole new level. No longer are you limited to the people in your area. Now your own limits (assuming you have a Wi-Fi connection) is the fact that life hasn't been shown to exist on other planets.

And that's not the only thing new. From gender differences in certain pokemon's sprites, to locations differences, evolving based on gender, and that new bagworm's female evo are merely the tip of the iceberg as to new additions to this series. And that's not to mention the complete reworking of the battle system. And there are several minor things I'm leaving out, and I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting and/or don't even know about since I don't own the games (yet).

Where is my weather? My holidays? My events? The radio the cell phone? The old regions?
    Weather and radio are in there. The old regions are not neccessarily a good thing, as GSC showed us. They went ahead and pretty much destroyed various parts of Kanto like Cinnabar Island and Veridian Forest to cram it in. I don't want them to do old regions until they have the time to do them justice. Holidays are nearly impossible to implement due to reasons of political correctness and regional differences in holidays - you'd have to reprogram the game for nearly every single country based on that country's particular religious beliefs and traditions.

erm why not just create Pokemon holidays with brief grabs from here and there on everyone's holidays?

PS Kanto wasn't destroyed it was placed 3 years later, time changes, so does the surroundings. Sorry if it wasn't RBY all over again, but I found it very interesting to see what 3 years did to the not only the lands but the people who lived there as well. Indigo was fine as it was in the game, if you wanted to see the whole game as is play RBY, but a brief glance at what happens to it over the years was awesome.

I wouldn't mind the same for the new games at all...
    Last edited by Pokemaster Justin; 3rd October 2006 at 11:59 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast