Theme Teams!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Ziggy Stardust
  • 1 Post By szmty

Thread: Theme Teams!

Rocket Surgeon

Default Theme Teams!

I apologise if this is just a rehash of any other thread on here, but I've scrolled back some and never noticed this topic, so:
    As I am about to restart Black2, I'm thinking of making a theme team for my playthrough. I have an idea what it will be, but I wanted to get some other feedback about the general topic of theme teams.
    My questions to you good folks are: What do you think of the idea of theme teams? Do you / would you use them? What kind of theme would you choose if you did use a theme team?

I've noticed on the Gen 6 boards lots of banter going back and forth about monotype starters as a theme for the next game, and it got me thinking about what other themes would be viable. All one species (an all-turtles team springs to mind)? All disembodied heads? I'd love to hear what you all have to say about this :)

EDIT: Oops, I forgot to mention my theme.... Moustaches! I thought an all-moustache team would be hilarious to use, and some of the 'mons I was thinking of would be: Samurott, Stoutland, Jellicent, Beartic, Kricketune, Whiscash, Swalot, Probopass, and Alakazam.
    Last edited by Jooks; 9th January 2013 at 06:30 AM.
    WHITE SMOKE is the reason for ROTATION.

Winged man prefers night Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Theme Teams!

I made this team some time ago. The Eeveeatles.

But I did this on White 1 long after finishing the main story. Actually I used them in a small tournament, but for competitive purposes I had to switch "vocals" for a Hydreigon (named Dio. With Hyper Voice, of course)

Yeah, I nickname my Pokémon after musicians.
    Jooks and szmty like this.

Me verás volar por la ciudad de la furia...
    - Pokémon games are like boobs; designed for children, but more enjoyed by adults. (Someone on twitter)

Follow Unendingfear On Twitter

I personally love theme teams, they're a great deal of fun.
    My main team now is a theme team.
    Running with a sort of techno/mechanical-theme.
    I use Porygon-Z, Scizor, Registeel, Steelix, Magnezone, and my shiny Metagross. :3
    Some may be replaced when I finally get my hands on some Gen V games.

You could always do a Starfox Team:
    Ninetales = Fox
    Unfezant/Swanna/Altaria = Falco
    Seismitoad = Slippy
    Lopunny = Peppy
    Grumpig = Pigma
    Lucario/Zoroark = Wolf

I've still got to get round to making a reptile and/or amphibian team...

Visit Dralcax's Youtube Channel

I might try a Bionicle team...
    Tahu-Arcanine
    Gali-Gorebyss
    Lewa-Tropius
    Kopaka-Cryogonal
    Pohatu-Hitmonlee
    Onua-Excadrill

Or maybe a Ninjago theme...
    Kai-Ninetales
    Jay-Lanturn
    Zane-Metagross
    Cole-Golem
    Lloyd-Castform
    Nya-Reshiram

But yeah, theme teams tend to be unsuccessful in general...

Registered User vuvuzela2010's Avatar Archives Junior

Water/Ground type team

Quagsire
    Swampert
    Whiscash
    Gastrodon
    Seismitoad

Then Stunfisk (who's basically a Water/Ground/Electric type), or the other Gastrodon Form if you want to keep the Types exactly the same.

Gen IV will probably add a couple more Water/Ground types, so the can be considered when they come.

Blog Entries

4 musketteers is fun. Though 60% of game its just keldeo. I've also done a Ash run in HG and a team eevee run.

You can do most anything though as long as can transfer a lowbie poke across.

Follow Rival Silver on Tumblr Visit Rival Silver's Youtube Channel

i was actually gonna run a grass team for my playthrough, but then i realised the selection of powerful plant pokemon in the game was pretty paltry, so i picked a different party instead.
    ...you like my alliteration?

anyway, i decided to use three pokes based on myself and my friends, nickname my starter after my favourite soy beverage, my lucario after a character, and i'll eventually be given a dragonite from my friend, when i get wi-fi.

so... yeah. not much. though in heartgold i did go through with the twin nidos. nidoking is really good.

Blog Entries
    Follow Mikes Gardevoir On Twitter Add Mikes Gardevoir on Google+
    Follow Mikes Gardevoir on Tumblr Visit Mikes Gardevoir's Youtube Channel

Duel type bug pokemon?
    Joltik/Galvantula
    Larvesta/Volcorana
    Venipede/Whirlipede/Scolipede
    Scyther/Scizor
    Heracross
    Skorupi/Drapion?
    or any other duel bug type pokemon

Blog Entries

Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

I don't know if this counts as a theme team but I tend to have characters in my head for when I'm playing the main Pokémon games. There's three consistent ones, who are just named after my online handles / real life nicknames.

Tricky, his first Pokémon was Aipom, and remains his main Pokémon. I frequently have play as him, as it were, when I want to use a regional-theme team. Tricky was born in Hoenn and raised in Fortree City, where Aipom was a gift from his mother after she returned from a trip to Johto (where he spent his childhood playing in the trees with Aipom and gained an affinity for Brass and Bug-types as a result. He tends to travel from region to region (like Ash Ketchum) taking only Aipom at the start of each journey and capturing Pokémon from that region.

Kipper, his first Pokémon was Treecko, which is now a Sceptile and is his 'main' Pokémon the same way Aipom is Tricky's. Kipper is the oldest of the three, and is also from Hoenn. He was born and raised in Hoenn but moved around a lot as both his parents were Pokémon Rangers. He tends to use Pokémon from Hoenn (among his Pokémon are a Crobat, a Torkoal, a Ninjask, a Wailord and a Walrein) and when I 'play as' him he uses Pokémon exlcusively found in Hoenn. Kipper took part in and won the Hoenn League, and as such tends to be an idol for the other two characters, Tricky and Keasbey. Kipper represents my renewed interest and love for the Pokémon series when Emerald first came out.

Keasbey, the most recent of the three. He's roughly the same age as Tricky, and his first Pokémon was a Trapinch. He's from Unova, and lived in Nacrene City before getting Trapinch and going on his journey. As a result of growing up near the museum and Lenora, Keasbey has a furious interest in fossils and spends his time mixing Pokémon archaeology and Pokémon training. All of the Pokémon on his team aside from Flygon were met and caught while searching for fossils. His main team consists of Flygon, Crustle, Galvantula, Ferrothorn and Jellicent. He met Crustle, as a Dwebble, while searching for fossils in the Unova Route 4 desert. Galvantula and Ferrothorn were met as a Joltik and a Ferroseed respectively, while searching for fossils in Chargestone Cave. He met Jellicent, as a Frillish, while trying to think of a way to get to the Abyssal Ruins. All of Keasbey's Pokémon either use their natural abilities or have some kind of unique ability that is used to search for fossils. Flygon is used to traverse harsh deserts and arid environments, as well as using his physical powers for shifting big rocks; Crustle is used for digging into and carving rocks in a more delicate fashion than Flygon can manage; Galvantula is used to search dark caves; Ferrothorn uses his spines to test the minerals in caves to see if they contain fossils; Jellicent is used for searching underwater and uses his Water-type powers to erode rocks and Ghost-type powers to get to areas Keasbey or the other Pokémon can't. Keasbey also has a Tirtouga and an Archen, revived from fossils he's found in Unova, but he doesn't often carry them in his party or train them. He aims to travel the other regions of the Pokémon world to find the other known fossil Pokémon and hopefully discover some new ones. When I 'play as' him I use fossil Pokémon (so far only Carracosta and Archeops because he's only travelled in Unova).

When X and Y come out, I'll likely think of a new character and base his character and the theme of his team around whatever that region has to offer and his main Pokémon will be Chespin.

Outside of my ridiculous Pokémon head-canon, I enjoy a Bug-type or a Grass-type themed team.
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

I ended up making a Ghost type (almost) themed team in Black without even realising.

Cofagrigus
    Chandelure
    Jellicent
    Golurk
    and of course, Gengar

The last one was an Emboar to cover for Dark types. Chandelure proved so helpful that the species has ended up in my teams for every game since.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Blog Entries

I don't have any particular theme based on Pokemon, but I do like to give my teams names after mountains, canyons, valleys, craters, volcanos etc, preferably those from another planet! Mars is my personal favorite. I also like to name them after regions, plains and plateaus found on Mars as well.

I might pick another astronomical body for XY, though, since I've used Mars for both White and White 2.
    Last edited by Ange; 2nd February 2013 at 08:23 PM.

Claims: Dialga | Multitype | Judgment | Adamant Orb | Draco Plate

Visit szmty's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    I made this team some time ago. The Eeveeatles.

But I did this on White 1 long after finishing the main story. Actually I used them in a small tournament, but for competitive purposes I had to switch "vocals" for a Hydreigon (named Dio. With Hyper Voice, of course)

Yeah, I nickname my Pokémon after musicians.
    Wow! I thought I was the only one who named my Pokémon after musicians. I have the four Beatles in my squad too, plus a David Bowie and a Freddie Mercury XD
    Last edited by szmty; 2nd February 2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: i messed up the quote.
    Ziggy Stardust likes this.