Summarizing the opinions on the Poison type against the Water type

View Poll Results: Should the Poison type become super-effective against the Water type in the next gen?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 59.32%
  • No

24 40.68%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Summarizing the opinions on the Poison type against the Water type

Post Thanks / Like

Default Summarizing the opinions on the Poison type against the Water type

I've seen many people in favor and some others against the idea, so I'd like to know what's the most popular opinion on the following question:

Should Poison become super-effective against Water in the next generation?

Remember that Water is the most common type in the game, and that Poison is only super-effective against Grass, which is commonly paired with Poison, neutralizing its effect. This would improve the Poison type greatly. The weakness would be based on water pollution. Don't comment things like "The type chart is not going to change" or things like that. Just answer the question. Would you be okay with it or would you not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Summarizing the opinions on the Poison type against the Water type

It's a tenuous idea at best. While poison can contaminate water, water can just as well dilute poison until it's basically ineffective, so unless they're going to be mutually super-effective or something I don't think it's going to work. Besides, with poison supposedly being an underpowered type and water supposedly being overpowered, it seems too much like just an obvious rules patch.

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This change will surely help nerf Water types from being one of the most common types in Pokemon battles and help buff Poison types from being one of the two worst types in the series (the second one being Ice). The fact that water can still dilute poison won't help because of popular belief that Poison pollutes Water, just like Ice killing off Grass despite some species of plants being capable of surviving in colder regions. Let's not forget the fact that while Electricity is SE against Water, science states that it's actually the other way around, so it's basically a form of type balancing.

So you want to be a hero? Stuntology's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It would completely change certain Pokemon's strengths and weaknesses, and I'd be perfectly fine with that. (Just give the ice type another resistance or two and it's be bliss!)

Goblins and Saurus and Cheetaurs, oh my!

Nope Setra's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr

I would much rather that the type chart stay the same. Game Freak doesn't make the game for the meta game, they make it for the enjoyment of the players. And for the money. :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    I would much rather that the type chart stay the same. Game Freak doesn't make the game for the meta game, they make it for the enjoyment of the players. And for the money. :P
    Would this change severely limit your enjoyment of the game?
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Nope Setra's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Grass Type Trainer View Post
    Would this change severely limit your enjoyment of the game?
    No. But is this change really necessary? It there a reason for it other than the metagame?

Post Thanks / Like

Considering that water covers like 80% of the world, it makes sense that it's the most powerful and versatile type.Making Poison SE wouldn't do much, I should think. A lot of Poison Pokemon suck stat-wise. Off the top of my tired head, I can't think of any Poison Pokemon who'd be top-tier in an instant if such a change in type effectiveness happens.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    No. But is this change really necessary? It there a reason for it other than the metagame?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm on the fence about this whole issue, but if it were to drastically improve the metagame and not affect the non-metagame in any way, what would be the problem?
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Metagame, or no metagame, I don't think Poison should be super effective against Water.

Post Thanks / Like

poison should be super effective against normal types.

but i also dont really have a prob with it against water

Steel Pokémon Master Bulletproof Scales's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There's already a handful disputable type anomalies (psychic vs steel, bug vs ghost etc), but none that's strikingly opposite to reality as this would be (I expect more posts lecturing everybody about this in an angry fashion). I'd still support it, though, seeing as a strong poison stab would be interesting, if not in place.
    Det ligger tomhylsor i parken
    Våra fötter är en meter över marken

Post Thanks / Like

Sure why not. In fact, make it super effective against Fighting too.

It'll probably never happen though.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I really like Poison type pokemon, but the type itself is rather weak. I would be more than okay with adding some more types that poison is SE against, such as water and fighting, to try and balance things out.
    Last edited by Sir Turtlelot; 3rd October 2012 at 02:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

Do people even reality?

If not, read:

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    While poison can contaminate water, water can just as well dilute poison until it's basically ineffective, so unless they're going to be mutually super-effective or something I don't think it's going to work.
    I'm not advocating that Water should get more SEs (it should stay the same), but I'd rather see Water SEing Poison than vice versa.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast