SPOILERS: Starter Discussion - Page 63

View Poll Results: Which Kalos starter did you choose?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

22 34.38%
  • Fennekin

21 32.81%
  • Froakie

21 32.81%
Page 63 of 160 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast
Like Tree1424Likes

Thread: Starter Discussion

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Starter Discussion and Speculation

Veering away from the topic of the XY Starters for a moment, you know what I wish they'd do in Gen VI? Provide us with a reliable and consistent way of getting Starters with their Hidden Abilities. Also female versions of them.

I dunno, something along the lines of what they did in HGSS with Professor Oak/Elm/Birch/Rowan/Juniper/whatever giving us the choice of one of their regional Starters after finishing the post-game, only this time, the Starter has their Hidden Ability. I would like that.

I would also like it if Chespin/Fennekin/Froakie had their "DW Abilities" as their defaults with Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent being their Hidden Abilities.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Quote Originally Posted by Disobedient View Post
    I've been looking up frogs and come across the poison dart frog, which is bright blue. Any chance froakie may become water/poison.
    Further research/Wikipedia indicates the poison dart frog is one of the few frog species that currys its eggs on its back in a group of white bubbles.
    I am quoting this from another forum and I can't believe I hadn't heard of this before, but it makes total sense to me. I'm all for Froakie becoming Water/Poison - a great and underused typing.
    I've actually thought of this before and I certainly see the connection being made, vis-á-vis the vibrant blue colouring on the Poison Dart Frog seen here, but I've been a bit skeptical as every Water-type starter is predominantly blue. I'd say Froakie's design is, in all likelihood, draws a more general inspiration from the Foam-nest Treefrog, but you may be right and, yes, Water/Poison is a somewhat underused type.

But Chespin evolution will be Grass/Flying
    Fennekin's Fire/Psychic
    Froakie's will be Pure-Water.
    3DS-FC: 0490-4967-8538
    My Safari: Psychic, with Abra, Espurr & Gothorita
    ING: Pablo.

Quote Originally Posted by Disobedient View Post
    I've been looking up frogs and come across the poison dart frog, which is bright blue. Any chance froakie may become water/poison.
    Further research/Wikipedia indicates the poison dart frog is one of the few frog species that currys its eggs on its back in a group of white bubbles.
    I am quoting this from another forum and I can't believe I hadn't heard of this before, but it makes total sense to me. I'm all for Froakie becoming Water/Poison - a great and underused typing.
    Certain whiny members of the fandom are already 'ew another frog we already have too many GF are (say it with me now children!) running out of ideas'...can you imagine the backlash poor Froakie would get it if turned into a poison frog and trod all over Croagunk's toes? The little dude is already the least favourite starter, let's not heap any more hate on him.

I'd really like to see Froakie become part fighting type. Adding fighting to fire has gotten old, but I wouldn't complain if they added it to either of the other 2 start types. I don't see it on Chespin as he looks more defensive than offensive. But Froakie? Yes please.
    Owain likes this.

I breed egg move pokes & DW females.

Zeb
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by LadySasaki View Post
    can you imagine the backlash poor Froakie would get it if turned into a poison frog and trod all over Croagunk's toes? The little dude is already the least favourite starter, let's not heap any more hate on him.

I'd really like to see Froakie become part fighting type.
    What about Poliwrath then? If you don't want Froakie to become part Poison because it would cause it to tread on Croagunk's toes, why would you want it to be Water/Fighting which is the exact same typing as Poliwrath and is another frog? At least Water/Poison is actually different to Poison/Fighting whereas Water/Fighting would be exactly the same as Poliwrath.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

Stars, Rainbows and Stars Chronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Water/Fighting (Poliwrath and Keldeo) and Water/Poison (Tentacool line and Qwilfish) have both been used the same amount of times, so I think either one wouldn't be bad choices. I could definitely see Water/Poison now that someone pointed out the poison dart frog. But then again, I feel like Water/Poison is really safe and obvious when it comes to a frog. I feel like Water/Fighting could make the line more creative, though that's really just thinking on the surface. I'm sure they could probably think of something to make a Water/Poison frog stand out. It is an interesting choice, after all. And if Fennekin ends up Fire/Psychic, it would still be super-effective against Froakie's secondary type, whether it be Fighting or Poison. I like these ideas.

If any of the starters remain monotype, I would like for it to be the Fennekin line (and that line only). Grass and Water both got gipped this generation, so they should be the ones to definitely get secondary types. For Chespin, I could see Fighting (if Froakie doesn't get it) or Dark the most. I'm leaning towards Fire/Psychic or just monotype for Fennekin, and I've already explained Froakie.

It'll be funny to see how wrong we might be when we finally learn of the starters' evolutions.
    Owain likes this.

Registered User BigBadButterfree's Avatar

I'm also hoping Froakie does not become part fighting. I want it to be a unique froggie! It's too bad it can't have a unique typing of its own, though :/

Pure water would be fine for me!

Whether or not it's Water/Fighting will probably depend on if it evolves into Sha Wujin from Journey to the West or not.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    What about Poliwrath then? If you don't want Froakie to become part Poison because it would cause it to tread on Croagunk's toes, why would you want it to be Water/Fighting which is the exact same typing as Poliwrath and is another frog? At least Water/Poison is actually different to Poison/Fighting whereas Water/Fighting would be exactly the same as Poliwrath.
    I didn't say I didn't want that; I specifically said that I was remarking on the hate I'd seen for Froakie so far, and only imagining the crap that would come his way if he was given poison as his second type. I honestly don't think the same would happen if he was given fighting type.

Playing devil's advocate for a mo to explain, Froakie's design (as it stands, and of course we haven't seen the evos yet) looks a heck of a lot more frog-like, and therefore like Croagunk, hence why making it part poison - a poison frog, essentially - would tread on the latter's toes just a little. Not to say GF wouldn't do it - we already had a dream eating tapier before Munna came along. But still, it's in the same ballpark, and I can see why fans might whinge (because some fans only need the faintest excuse to whinge).

But from a strictly design point of view, imagining you hadn't seen it's prevos or knew its name began with 'poli', I defy anyone to even tell me that you'd know what the hell animal Poliwrath was based on. It's hardly-frog like. Froakie isn't similar to it in any way other than their blue colouring, and so it's a lot harder to point the finger and yell 'omg gf copy-pasted this idea!' simply because of their typing.

We already have enough 'fennekin is a vulpix clone!' (wut)and 'chespin looks too much like oshawott' (!?) stupidity, and they're the popular starters. Poor forgotten Froakie needs some serious love, and I don't think a poison typing would help him achieve that. A muscular, agile, fighting-type evo, on the other hand, miiiiight change a lot of people's minds about him. I know it'd make me look forward to using him a lot more - he's currently my third choice out of three :/

Then again, as the saying goes, haters gonna hate.

I breed egg move pokes & DW females.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Whether or not it's Water/Fighting will probably depend on if it evolves into Sha Wujin from Journey to the West or not.
    I know people think Emboar is supposed to be the pig dude from that, but iirc he's based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms (I'm pretty sure there's a specific character in that known for their red beard I believe which could've inspired Emboar's beard). So, we've got Journey to the West with Infernape, Romance of the Three Kingdoms with Emboar, meaning we still have the Water Margin (excluding Spiritomb who is partially based on that) and the Dream of the Red Chamber before we have all the China Four Great Classical Novels represented.

Actually, since some people speculate Froakie's meant to resemble a Japanese thief with the "bag over the shoulder and all", maybe a Song Jiang-inspired evolution, the bandit leader from the Water Margin, would be more appropriate. You know, a frog evolving into an outlaw leader who has a base in a marsh.
    Ruttager and SirOni like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pastafari View Post
    Fennekin's Fire/Psychic
    No, how did you get that? I hope there all Pure types, this would add a nice touch to the game ;)
    I think this is one of the reason's I love Johto, the starter typing doesn't change, unlike the other regions, adding a bit of, how do i say this without sounding like Cilan don't ask me, spice to the region.

Also i'm not picking any starter until there final evolution's come out, then i will pick one by the blink of an eye!
    Last edited by Mitt; 13th March 2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Just wanted to add something to the end

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro ~ Bajeena View Post
    I know people think Emboar is supposed to be the pig dude from that, but iirc he's based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms (I'm pretty sure there's a specific character in that known for their red beard I believe which could've inspired Emboar's beard).
    In Romance of the Three Kingdoms, the character of Guan Yu was said to have red skin and a magnificent beard.

There was no character (as far as I can recall) that was famous for his red beard. :S
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Blog Entries

It's always possible that Emboar could have been based on both in mind, that hasn't stopped Pokemon on origins before.
    Owain likes this.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro ~ Bajeena View Post
    Actually, since some people speculate Froakie's meant to resemble a Japanese thief with the "bag over the shoulder and all", maybe a Song Jiang-inspired evolution, the bandit leader from the Water Margin, would be more appropriate. You know, a frog evolving into an outlaw leader who has a base in a marsh.
    I'm so on board with this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mitt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pastafari View Post
    Fennekin's Fire/Psychic
    No, how did you get that? I hope there all Pure types, this would add a nice touch to the game ;)
    Pure Fire, Water and Grass types is something we get all the time in every single generation, so I'd rather want the starters to be all dual this time. Starters are supposed to be "special", and imo a lot of potential would be wasted if they decided to go the pure type route across the entire board.

This wasn't the case in Johto, because Meganium and Typhlosion's statuses of being pure Grass and Fire, respectively, were "special" because we didn't have any previous pure Grass or Fire starter back then. The only one that wasn't "special" was Feraligatr, but I don't think people really complained about that. Now, when we've gone through five Generations that has given us more pure typed Starters than dual typed ones (except Fire), I think it's time to make some new Starter type combinations. I guess Fennekin could end up being pure Fire to "balance" things out, but I'd rather see it being dual typed.

Claims: Dialga | Multitype | Judgment | Adamant Orb | Draco Plate