Speculation:Will Gen 6 have a third game or something different? - Page 7

View Poll Results: What will happen after the Gen 6 main pair?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • A third game, like Gens 1-4

98 48.04%
  • Sequels like Black 2 and White 2

47 23.04%
  • A prequel maybe, we've never seen that

26 12.75%
  • Other/something totally original(explain)

33 16.18%
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Speculation:Will Gen 6 have a third game or something different?

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: Pokémon Z/X2 & Y2 on the Wii U

I really hope not. I'd like to keep the third version, or whatever comes after X/Y, on the 3DS, instead of having to buy a Wii U to play it. They save Pokemon spin-off titles for their console system, so I don't think that they would make a main series game exclusive to the Wii U.

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Speculation:Will Gen 6 have a third game or something different?

I agree that it's too early to call, we'll have to wait until the games come out before we can say for sure. But I think the concept of a traditional third version is pretty much dead at this point, as any of the changes that could be made could be done with either sequels or DLC. And I think if they do decide to make sequels again, they need to be smarter about how they do it. BW2 was great in concept, but I feel it was pretty poor in execution because they seem to have failed to take into account the balancing issues that came about when they changed the storyline path. This is quite evident when you take into account the Pokemon distribution, which is skewed much more towards areas that weren't accessible during the main storyline in BW1, and also the fact that the Day Care is post game in BW2. Whatever changes they make need to take timing into account. Also, I don't feel like many of the changes in storyline path were very worthwhile either. Half of the game followed the exact same path as BW1, at the exact same time as BW1. This makes BW2 feel a bit too samey. If they want to make the storyline path more worthwhile, they should try something more radical, like if you fought Skyla as the first gym leader or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    Considering how the only larger gaps have been in generations with a jump to more powerful hardware, I'm actually quite impressed that XY are coming out this year. I'm guessing the reason for it is how recently, the higher up staff have always focused on primary pairs. For example, Junichi Masuda directed both Pokémon Crystal and Pokémon Emerald, as well as Ruby & Sapphire and Diamond & Pearl. However, HeartGold & SoulSilver were directed by Shigeki Morimoto, while Black 2 & White 2 were directed by Takao Unno.
    It's because of timing in regards to the 3DS' launch. Game Freak didn't get the devkit for the 3DS until around the time BW1 came out, so they've been working on this game for a few years while 5th gen was essentially a filler generation. Honestly, I wasn't surprised by XY's sudden reveal, I feel like we should've moved on to the 3DS a year or two ago.

Blog Entries

Default Re: So, what's next in Gen 6?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Chesman View Post
    Then I thought about the fact that GF is against DLC.
    I've seen no proof of this. A Google search only yields multiple threads (from different forums) where Serebii has been spreading this claim, but he was unable to give me a source when I asked him about it. I imagine that the issue of DLC will be addressed at E3.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Chesman View Post
    Then I thought about the fact that GF is against DLC.
    I've seen no proof of this. A Google search only yields multiple threads (from different forums) where Serebii has been spreading this claim, but he was unable to give me a source when I asked him about it. I imagine that the issue of DLC will be addressed at E3.
    If they were against DLC, then can someone please explain Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect?

GameFreak were doing DLC before it was cool.

Blog Entries

If they were against DLC, then can someone please explain Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect?

Serebii claims that they're against paid DLC "because it's unfair to players". I fail to see how making us pay for recycled content was fair.
    VeggiePopper likes this.

El_
    Blog Entries

Doesn't that simply mean that all DLC well get in the future will actually be free or am I just being optimistic?

The only kind of DLC that I imagine we might have to pay for is massive updates like the kind you'd find in third versions or completely new story plots like BW2. If it came to that, it likely wouldn't be that much (hopefully) and is much better than having to pay for a full on game with that stuff.

Even then, it could still all be free DLC issued out over time. When you combine all the possible "updates" it would amount to the paired versions equaling a third version in new content. It doesn't make any sense to me for Game Freak to be against this idea or at least they might have considered it. Traditional third versions should become obsolete with DLC as an alternative.
    The_Doctor likes this.

N set by smalllady
    Ideals/Truth

Blog Entries

Serebii claims that they're against paid DLC "because it's unfair to players". I fail to see how making us pay for recycled content was fair.
    Who says DLC has to be recycled content? They could give us a Sevii Islands type place, fill it with a bunch of Pokemon that can't be caught elsewhere in XY, and even give it a mini storyline, then it'd be worth paying a few bucks for.

Follow Meophist On Twitter

Maybe they can hand out DLC Dragon Quest IX-style.

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crysta Blade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Guys, I've figured out what the third version stand-in will be.

You see, after X and Y come out, we'll get Z as a follow-up... followed by W as a separate release. You see, this generation will be mirroring the Japanese release pattern of Gen I: The original pair followed by an Updated Rerelease (or sequel, or what have you), followed by a version of the game's story based on the anime. (To facilitate this, Ash's new outfit will be an original one rather than based on X-guy's, and the new female companion will be an OC rather than based on a game character, so they can be used as W's unique P Cs.) Z's mascot will be the serpent as we've all guessed, and W's will be based on Yggdrasil itself. In the english versions, a bit of extra emphasis will be put on the fact that Yggdrasil is, in fact, an ash tree.

... I should probably go to bed now.
    Dunno if it's the lack of sleep talking or what, but I actually like the sound of this. Can't say I think the chances are good, but yeah, I'd be down with that.
    Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I like it... or maybe I just like the pun. :D

Oh, and the new girl would have a name that means or relates to "tree". Because more pun.
    I like this idea. It could be called pokemon W, and when people ask what the W is for, we say, It stands for Wumbo
    The_Doctor likes this.
    HOT SKITTY ON WAILORD ACTION!

Blog Entries

Making us travel across the country to download a Pokémon was more unfair, but they've been doing that for 17 years xD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Who says DLC has to be recycled content? They could give us a Sevii Islands type place, fill it with a bunch of Pokemon that can't be caught elsewhere in XY, and even give it a mini storyline, then it'd be worth paying a few bucks for.
    I think Silktree was referring to third versions when he mentioned "recycled content".

Blog Entries

I think Silktree was referring to third versions when he mentioned "recycled content".
    They shouldn't be recycling content regardless, though. This is why I say the concept of a third version is dead.

Blog Entries

They shouldn't be recycling content regardless, though. This is why I say the concept of a third version is dead.
    Black 2/White 2 also recycled an awful lot of content. In fact, it was originally planned as TWO third versions until Satoru Iwata said no.

Blog Entries

Black 2/White 2 also recycled an awful lot of content. In fact, it was originally planned as TWO third versions until Satoru Iwata said no.
    Did you even read my post?

Blog Entries

I did. However, you said the concept of a third version is dead - which it clearly isn't as Black 2/White 2 were an extension of one. All because we had one generation without a third version doesn't mean the idea is dead - they originally were third versions and were only vetoed against because Iwata wanted Masuda to justify making a game for the DS when the 3DS was already out. If that situation hadn't existed, Black 2/White 2 would have been two third versions.

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

I did. However, you said the concept of a third version is dead - which it clearly isn't as Black 2/White 2 were an extension of one. All because we had one generation without a third version doesn't mean the idea is dead - they originally were third versions and were only vetoed against because Iwata wanted Masuda to justify making a game for the DS when the 3DS was already out. If that situation hadn't existed, Black 2/White 2 would have been two third versions.
    I think that by 'dead' he meant 'moot and no-purpose', not literally dead. As I get it, his point is that the concept of third version is dead is not because Gen V didn't get one, but because now with Nintendo going full-on with DLC, everything a third version has to offer can be done via DLC as both (third versions and DLC) work on the same concept -some extra stuff in addition to the original game, therefore, there's no excuse anymore to make us buy the same game again in the form of a third version when it can be handled via DLC.
    Bolt the Cat and Pocket Ace like this.

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast