Speculation:Will Gen 6 have a third game or something different? - Page 6

View Poll Results: What will happen after the Gen 6 main pair?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • A third game, like Gens 1-4

98 48.04%
  • Sequels like Black 2 and White 2

47 23.04%
  • A prequel maybe, we've never seen that

26 12.75%
  • Other/something totally original(explain)

33 16.18%
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Speculation:Will Gen 6 have a third game or something different?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Speculation:Will Gen 6 have a third game or something different?

A game that actually takes place during Pokemon X and Y.
    OK, so. In Pokemon X and Y, right about when you're about to enter some town, you bump into some random guy. You shrug him off as being unimportant.
    Then, in the next game, you're rushing away from the villain when you bump into the PC from the previous game, in the same spot as the last game, thus connecting the 2 universes.
    There may be a few other parallels too, such as some of the trainers in Pokemon X and Y may be at the Pokemon Center healing their Pokemon from their battle with the character from X/Y. It probably wouldn't reference any events that are version exclusive, such as Yveltal or a version exclusive gym leader (ala Iris and Drayden).
    Now that I've written this, it probably won't happen. Hey, it doesn't hurt to dream, right?

Whenever you think of some new great Pokemon idea, the universe is altered so Pokemon won't use that idea.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poko907 View Post
    A game that actually takes place during Pokemon X and Y.
    OK, so. In Pokemon X and Y, right about when you're about to enter some town, you bump into some random guy. You shrug him off as being unimportant.
    Then, in the next game, you're rushing away from the villain when you bump into the PC from the previous game, in the same spot as the last game, thus connecting the 2 universes.
    There may be a few other parallels too, such as some of the trainers in Pokemon X and Y may be at the Pokemon Center healing their Pokemon from their battle with the character from X/Y. It probably wouldn't reference any events that are version exclusive, such as Yveltal or a version exclusive gym leader (ala Iris and Drayden).
    Now that I've written this, it probably won't happen. Hey, it doesn't hurt to dream, right?

Whenever you think of some new great Pokemon idea, the universe is altered so Pokemon won't use that idea.
    I believe that is called a midquel.

I'm hoping for sequels again, but ones that are more grabbing into the story then BW2 was. I don't want anymore "Oh the bad guys are in town? Better go fight the Gym Leader first ok?"
    Personal Youtube: TerraTF

Follow my Pokemon Y Nuzlocke here

Shinies are just a palette swap. If its not bred well, don't use it.

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

I wish and I hope we get none. Just XY and then move on to Gen VII (or RSE remakes, if anything).

First, I don't THINK we'll get a sequel(s) just because of B2W2: those were a special case and were originally dual third versions conceived because of Masuda's stubborness on the dual 3rd versions (for the sake of the interchangeable keys feature he was so in love with) and Iwata ordering him that if he wanted a dual third game, said game must offer enough new stuff to justify the dual release. Had Masuda had the time to implement the keys feature in B1W1 (as he originally intended but wasn't able to due to time constraints), we've had a single Gray version instead of B2W2, or had Iwata allowed him to have it his way in forcing dual versions just for the sake of that feature, we've had dual Gray versions (LightGray and DarkGray?). B2W2 were conceived and developed because of the special circumstances, so I'm not sure whether they will do that again. Usually new stories are only introduced at the start of a generation. Of course, it might happen, I just think that's unlikely.

Why I don't WANT sequels: because they're half-assed games. While I loved B2W2, I still felt I was playing a glorified third version instead of an all-new game; as a sequel, it felt really lacking. It had great gameplay features (the PokéStar movies, Join Avenue, the expanded regional dex and, specially, PWT, I love it to death), but the plot was almost non-existant and when it did kick in, it was a bit too late to engage me in it. I loved B2W2 as an expansion to B1W2, but as an original or stand-alone game it was very dissapointing; moreover, we all know that said new cool features would have been implemented in Gray anyway, making the whole sequel thing a bit unneccessary. People lauded B2W2 as the first true sequel in the series, ignoring GSC (and by extension, HGSS) just because they're the first numbered sequels, but if you think about it, GSC actually feel more like sequels than B2W2: in GSC we do know what happen to the previous protagonist (Red) and even encounter him at the end of the game, strengthening the connection to the prequel, whereas in B2W2 we are only vaguely told that the previous protagonist left to another region in search of N (which doesn't even make sense when you do encounter N yet Hilbert/Hilda is still nowhere to be seen). Because of that, I think GSC were better sequels and better games than B2W2. In comparison, B2W2 is just like GSC minus the Johto region and the (then) new Pokémon (which would have sucked, wouldn't it?). See where I'm going? Sequels feel better when done on a later generation (as GSC): imagine how amazing B2W2 would have been had they been released exclusively for the 3DS, with XY's graphics, and introducing new Pokémon (and by 'new Pokémon', I mean actual new, nex-gen Pokémon, not 'older Pokémon not included in the original BW'); in comparison, what we got seems like a half-assed attempt, doesn't it? Don't get me wrong, I like sequels (I'd love to see sequels for RSE and DPPt as well), just not on the same generation of the original games, so I in the future I would like XY sequels but only if they're released for Gen VII or later.

I'm also against the traditional third version (or at least as we know it) because, with the B2W2 precedent, fans will not be happy if they reverted to the original pattern of the third game being merely an updated version of the original game, also, DLC and the e-shop. In the past, DLC was non-existant in Nintendo games, but since the 3DS, we can get DLC (New Super Mario Bros. 2), and since third versions are basically the same game with minor tweaks and a few extras, these days that could be easily accomplished via a DLC expansion pack, making a third version redundant and unnecessary, specially knowing that even Nintendo (who owns and manages the Pokémon franchise) does DLC now, thus, if a conventional third version was released and we're charged full price for it, it would probably result in a huge backlash against Nintendo and Game Freak. Also, having the third version become a DLC would solve the issue of new forms not available in the original games (who wasn't disappointed that they could not change Rotom's form or get Shaymin's Sky Forme in DP, for instance?). So my bet is that the third version will be turned into paid DLC just as most companies do now. For the sake of tradition, the DLC might be advertised as what the third version would be called (I envision the advertising reading "Get the brand new 'Z' expansion for your Pokémon X and Y games!" or something like that).

Of course, I'm aware a separate third version still has some advantages over DLC, namely a second save file and the ability to trade with oneself, so I'm not totally counting on the third version being scrapped this generation, but still, I think the benefits of DLC are better than those of a separate game and thus make it the most plausible scenario.

In conclusion, if Gen VI gets more main series games than XY, I'd like them not to be related to XY, be it the much wanted Hoenn remakes or something completely new. A prequel would actually be nice, since that would be something new and also would make sense that no new Pokémon would be introduced in such game(s).
    Last edited by VeggiePopper; 10th March 2013 at 09:53 PM.

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Blog Entries

I'd expect that any further sequels after B2W2 would be better planned out than those two were, since they'd presumably be intended from the start. The sequels idea only came up after the original pair was finished, apparently.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I wouldn't mind if GameFreak did make a Pokémon X2 and Pokémon Y2 sequel pair, but if they did I hope they do it a lot better than Black 2 and White 2. As we know, B2W2's existence stemmed from Iwata wanting something unique as opposed to Masuda's third version pair idea. I believe that if XY's story is made with the thought of expansion in mind, we could get a really good story that doesn't feel like it was just tacked onto the end of an already complete story (like B2W2's was). I wouldn't be surprised if GameFreak go back to making a third version, but I hope they don't.

Personally, I'd like it if X and Y had separate stories, with the next Generation VI game being the bridge between the two. For example, the protagonist and story of X would be separate, but it would take place in the same region as and have references to the events of Y (and vice versa), but a hypothetical Z covers yet another new protagonist as they begin their journey during (or just after) the events of XY and brings them together for the climax. Sort of like Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald on steroids.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    I wouldn't mind if GameFreak did make a Pokémon X2 and Pokémon Y2 sequel pair, but if they did I hope they do it a lot better than Black 2 and White 2. As we know, B2W2's existence stemmed from Iwata wanting something unique as opposed to Masuda's third version pair idea. I believe that if XY's story is made with the thought of expansion in mind, we could get a really good story that doesn't feel like it was just tacked onto the end of an already complete story (like B2W2's was). I wouldn't be surprised if GameFreak go back to making a third version, but I hope they don't.

Personally, I'd like it if X and Y had separate stories, with the next Generation VI game being the bridge between the two. For example, the protagonist and story of X would be separate, but it would take place in the same region as and have references to the events of Y (and vice versa), but a hypothetical Z covers yet another new protagonist as they begin their journey during (or just after) the events of XY and brings them together for the climax. Sort of like Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald on steroids.
    I like this idea.

I think, though, that for the sake of being aloof, Game Freak will have to be more creative with a third version than just Pokemon Z. The third installment's title is even more predictable this generation than it was last's, so ultimately I'm expecting something new and fresh. That being said, there's no reason for Game Freak to save for originality at the cost of a quality storyline; if Pokemon Z is fitting and can be done well then I wouldn't mind the predictability.

So you want to be a hero? Stuntology's Avatar

I really hope that the absence of a grey version was a sign that pokemon had moved past third versions. I really hate the concept behind them, with cool new features but the exact same story/gameplay as the pair.

I don't think we'll have sequels though, just because that's just been done.

I'm kind of expecting x/y, and then straight to gen 7 2 or so years down the road.
    VeggiePopper likes this.

Goblins and Saurus and Cheetaurs, oh my!

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntology View Post
    I really hope that the absence of a grey version was a sign that pokemon had moved past third versions. I really hate the concept behind them, with cool new features but the exact same story/gameplay as the pair.

I don't think we'll have sequels though, just because that's just been done.

I'm kind of expecting x/y, and then straight to gen 7 2 or so years down the road.
    I'm with you. Probably (emphasis on ""PROBABLY") remakes, but I'm not counting on them either.

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

I don't think anything like that will happen, I reckon X and Y will be the last main series Pokémon games for a while.
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Kipper View Post
    I don't think anything like that will happen, I reckon X and Y will be the last main series Pokémon games for a while.
    I hope you're right. We've had main games for 3 years in a row now, I'd like a break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayde View Post
    "OH HOT DAMN! LOOK AT THAT FUCKING BELL! IT'S SMALL AND CUTE AND HAS A FUCKING RIBBON ON IT'S FUCKING HEAD! BACK THIS PARTY VAN UP! I GOTTA CATCH THAT SHIT!!"

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Kipper View Post
    I hope you're right. We've had main games for 3 years in a row now, I'd like a break.
    That is generally how things go though; there's only a larger gap after the start of a new generation. For example:
    Red, Green and Blue (1996) -> Yellow (1998) -> Gold & Silver (1999) -> Crystal (2000) -> Ruby & Sapphire (2002) -> FireRed & LeafGreen (2004) -> Emerald (2004) -> Diamond & Pearl (2006) -> Platinum (2008) -> HeartGold & SoulSilver (2009) -> Black & White (2010) -> Black 2 & White 2 (2012) -> X & Y (2013).

So aside from the gaps between Crystal and RS, as well as Emerald and DP, we've seen new generations start the year after one finishes (so 3/5 of the time), with an extra year gap between the primary pair and the next games. So it stands to reason that the next main series game won't be released until 2015 anyway. Considering how the only larger gaps have been in generations with a jump to more powerful hardware, I'm actually quite impressed that XY are coming out this year. I'm guessing the reason for it is how recently, the higher up staff have always focused on primary pairs. For example, Junichi Masuda directed both Pokémon Crystal and Pokémon Emerald, as well as Ruby & Sapphire and Diamond & Pearl. However, HeartGold & SoulSilver were directed by Shigeki Morimoto, while Black 2 & White 2 were directed by Takao Unno.

Blog Entries

Especially with DLC, Nintendo and Game Freak can really drag this generation out without even needing a third version. I have a feeling that this generation will last much longer than those in the past for that very reason.

As long as the DLC has a high quality then I wouldn't mind it by any means.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Default So, what's next in Gen 6?

I know its early, but hear me out on this one. With the kalos map, fpr a week or so I've been thinking: outside of the clouded areas, the region for all intents and purposes is complete. Only one sliver of land west of starting town. Then I thought about the fact that GF is against DLC.
    Where I'm going with this is simple. With GF abstaining from paid DLC, a 3rd game seems kind of backwards, but meanwhile sequels aren't exactly viable either, as mentioned above Kalos isn't exactly Unova in terms of empty space. And thete is my question:
    With both means seemingly a dead end this tgen, what else can they do? Or better yet, not do. Maybe even gen 6 is the start of one pair for one gen, or perhaps even regions and new Pokemon aren't exclusive to the start of a new gen anymore. Discuss!
    Phoenixon likes this.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Blog Entries

Default Re: So, what's next in Gen 6?

If Game Freak abandon the concept of sequels/third versions then...
    Bill Cipher likes this.

Is a pretty Sneasel Sneazy Sneasel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Pokémon Z/X2 & Y2 on the Wii U

Alot of people myself included think the third version of Pokemon X & Y will be a Wii U exclucive why? because the Wii U has connectivity with the 3DS, GBA games are coming to the Wii U éshop, and Nintendo/Gamefreak has been public about Pokemon lately i mean X & Y are going to be at E3 which is something that hasn't been done since Gold and Silver also the Wii U is a powerful console(not as powerful as the PS4 but certainly more powerful than the PS3 and 360) so imagine Pokemon in next-gen cel shaded graphics

Thoughts?
    Phoenixon likes this.
    Your Name Please

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast