Speculation: Pokemon and the Wii U - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Speculation: Pokemon and the Wii U

Default Re: Speculation: Pokemon and the Wii U

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRed View Post
    That's all Pokemon is once you finish the story. It's battling, battling, battling. And like I said just before, once you figure out the moves of the Gym Leaders and etc, you'll have a much easier time. I'd rather have different, random battles than the same opponents and Pokemon every time. And the animations look great for a 2006 Wii game. Physical contact moves actually looked like physical content instead of attack -> cut to Pokemon getting hit.

And the rental Pokemon of PBR are amazing once you utilize your brain and make a strategy out of them. And you can switch them out when you win Round 2 of Gateway Colosseum. The real crappy rental Pokemon are the rentals of Stadium 2. The rental Charizard uses ember. Freakin' EMBER. I rest my case.

And the mini-games were "awesome"? Awesome how? The only ones of any merit are the Chansey and Hitmontop games, and that's being very generous. The fact that you can only use certain Pokemon is very boring, and a little bit lazy. I know it was the N64, there wasn't a lot of room, blah blah blah, but it doesn't excuse how boring they get after a while.

In the end, the core of Pokemon is battling, so PBR makes the most of it with nothing but battles, and it is the best for that. If one wants mini-games again so bad, they can go play PokePark Wii.

Edit: As for Pokemon cries, I very much prefer the Hoenn/Shinnoh Pokemon cries, rather than making them "sound real". I hate admitting that I wish the Kanto/Johto Pokemon would use their Stadium cries. >>

Plus the music of PBR is great. They made their own tracks, instead of lazily remixing the game's songs. I suggest you go actually give the music a listen, there are a lot of gems in them.

One more thing I want to mention is the variety of battles in PBR. There's the standard singles/doubles battles, and Little/Rental battles. Then there's a Survival battle, a "Select" battle, and the Nintendo-Hard Stargazer Colosseum battles. There is also a pure Luck (and good-aim) Based Colosseum, where you might possibly have to face off against your own Pokemon if your aim and timing is off. Those all become really hard challenges, more than the stale battle style of Stadium 2.

PBR may have sacrificed "good" fillers, but it made up for it with a much richer battling experience, and that's all a battle-sim needs. I won't resort to crude analogies, but PBR is certainly still much better than Stadium 2.
    Well, again, I disagree. Battling shouldn't be all there is to Pokémon. It's always good to have other options in case you get tired of battling. The animations were extremely awkward. Pokémon moved slowly towards their opponent and the opponent would just stand there waiting to be attacked. The execution of physical moves took an entire life. I like Stadium's style much more.

I do agree that most of the rental Pokémon in Stadium 2 had really crappy movesets. The good movesets were used on unevolved Pokémon (Houndour got Flamethrower and Crunch while Houndoom got Ember and Bite). However, there are some Pokémon with good movesets. And, most importantly, there was variety. How can you beat a game using a Prinplup with freaking BubbleBeam and Metal Claw?

All mini-games were good in Stadium 2 (well, Furret's and Golbat's not so much) but come on, Igglybuff's and Cleffa's was very fun. Eevee's was very cool. Pichu's was very fun as well. And what about Scyther's and Pinsir's? (And Scizor's if you had one in your Gold/Silver/Crystal cartridge). About not being able to choose whatever Pokémon for every mini-game, I really can't see how this is possible. It's like wanting to use your Charizard in Donphan's mini-game, or like wanting to use your Quagsire in Pichu's mini-game. Mini-games were based on specific Pokémon with specific abilities, after all.

I agree with you about Hoenn's and Sinnoh's cries. After all, technology had advanced by the time those games came out so the cries didn't sound crappy, but Gen 1's and Gen 2's cries needed to sound realistic. They should have used those realistic sounds from Stadium in PBR, to be honest.

The music in PBR is not bad, it's just "meh". I'd rather have remixes of the classical tunes found in the games at any time of the day (maybe that's just me; I'm very nostalgic). I got the chills when I heard Silver's theme remixed for Lance's battle. Johto's Gym Leader Castle theme is just epic too.

I do compliment the variety of battles there is in PBR. I'll give you that. There are many styles of battling, but then again, that shouldn't be everything there is to a Pokémon game. One can get bored (or frustrated) of battling at one point. When that happens, then what?

And come on! You have to recognize that some of the things they made with that game were just nonsensical. Four people participate in double battles, and the Wii can handle four players at the same time. Hello, Game Freak?! Ring a bell?? Didn't you ever think about letting four people participate in the same battle at the same time like in the handheld games? And what about letting your opponent see your moveset instead of having it hidden like in Stadium 1 and 2? Why does the second player have to wait for the first player to choose their Pokémon in order to choose theirs? Also, the menus. Bland, boring, and the stupid receptionist asks way too many silly questions.

I defend my viewpoint: I think PBR was a very lazily made game and could've been much, much better. I still think it sucks and Stadium 2 was a much richer game in terms of replay value and everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Anser View Post
    Well, again, I disagree. Battling shouldn't be all there is to Pokémon. It's always good to have other options in case you get tired of battling. The animations were extremely awkward. Pokémon moved slowly towards their opponent and the opponent would just stand there waiting to be attacked. The execution of physical moves took an entire life. I like Stadium's style much more.
    That's why I pointed out PokePark Wii. That game should be more than enough to satisfy the need for Pokemon mini-games. It's not hard to change discs. Plus take note that in PBR, there was 493 Pokemon to model/texture/animate/etc, compared to Stadium. They had room to add more things with less Pokemon.

As for battle animations, the battles are coordinated matches based on fair rules, and opponents move in turns attacking. This isn't the anime where you can short "dodge!" to make your Pokemon move. I always saw the in-game battles as Pokemon taking turns hitting each other. I do admit they could have done SOMETHING for a "miss", though.

I do agree that most of the rental Pokémon in Stadium 2 had really crappy movesets. The good movesets were used on unevolved Pokémon (Houndour got Flamethrower and Crunch while Houndoom got Ember and Bite). However, there are some Pokémon with good movesets. And, most importantly, there was variety. How can you beat a game using a Prinplup with freaking BubbleBeam and Metal Claw?
    Yes a few rentals had good movesets, but only a handful compared to a vast many. And the first set of rentals in PBR indeed suck, but like I said, once you reach round 2 of Gateway Colosseum, you can trade one rental for your opponent's Pokemon. With determination, hard work, and some luck, you'll end up with a team of great rental Pokemon. Unlike Stadium, there appears to be more than 1 type of moveset and stat distribution per Pokemon. For example, one Infernape might be packing a physical moveset with Mach Punch, but you might face a more special-oriented Infernape instead. The rental Pokemon remain the same (except for Little Cup pre-evolved Pokemon IIRC).

The only real "Variety" of rental Pokemon present in Stadium was a Free Battle Challenge Cup.

All mini-games were good in Stadium 2 (well, Furret's and Golbat's not so much) but come on, Igglybuff's and Cleffa's was very fun. Eevee's was very cool. Pichu's was very fun as well. And what about Scyther's and Pinsir's? (And Scizor's if you had one in your Gold/Silver/Crystal cartridge). About not being able to choose whatever Pokémon for every mini-game, I really can't see how this is possible. It's like wanting to use your Charizard in Donphan's mini-game, or like wanting to use your Quagsire in Pichu's mini-game. Mini-games were based on specific Pokémon with specific abilities, after all.
    Huh I forgot about the Scyther/Pinsir game. I loved that one. Maybe not EVERY Pokemon for every mini-game, but they could have figured SOMETHING out. The Iggly/Cleffa game is just counting; Eevee is just a 5-round timing game;and Pichu was a button masher, standard mini-game fare. There's nothing really groundbreaking or exciting there.

I agree with you about Hoenn's and Sinnoh's cries. After all, technology had advanced by the time those games came out so the cries didn't sound crappy, but Gen 1's and Gen 2's cries needed to sound realistic. They should have used those realistic sounds from Stadium in PBR, to be honest.
    They should have indeed. The Gen I and II cries sound so awful. "OTL There's one thing we agree on, haha.

The music in PBR is not bad, it's just "meh". I'd rather have remixes of the classical tunes found in the games at any time of the day (maybe that's just me; I'm very nostalgic). I got the chills when I heard Silver's theme remixed for Lance's battle. Johto's Gym Leader Castle theme is just epic too.
    Remixes of old tracks are nice indeed, but I'd rather have new music. I play a new game, I want new music.

I do compliment the variety of battles there is in PBR. I'll give you that. There are many styles of battling, but then again, that shouldn't be everything there is to a Pokémon game. One can get bored (or frustrated) of battling at one point. When that happens, then what?
    When one gets bored or frustrated, they can turn off the game and cool off on a different game. There are other Pokemon spin-offs that have/are mini-games. PokePark Wii being the biggest example. There's also Pokemon Rumble Blast, or Pokemon Trozei. Or even Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Of course battling isn't all of Pokemon, but that's what those spin-offs exist for. PBR is for battling.

And come on! You have to recognize that some of the things they made with that game were just nonsensical. Four people participate in double battles, and the Wii can handle four players at the same time. Hello, Game Freak?! Ring a bell?? Didn't you ever think about letting four people participate in the same battle at the same time like in the handheld games? And what about letting your opponent see your moveset instead of having it hidden like in Stadium 1 and 2? Why does the second player have to wait for the first player to choose their Pokémon in order to choose theirs? Also, the menus. Bland, boring, and the stupid receptionist asks way too many silly questions.
    That's why I point out that PBR's only real flaw is how early it was released. WAY too early in Gen IV. Game Freak didn't make PBR btw, Genius Sorority did, the same guys who brought us Colosseum/XD. Clearly this was their first shot at a Pokemon-based Wii game, and it is a little eh in the multiplayer/menu department. But since the main point of the game is battling, it's not such a big deal.

I defend my viewpoint: I think PBR was a very lazily made game and could've been much, much better. I still think it sucks and Stadium 2 was a much richer game in terms of replay value and everything else.
    "Sucks" is the wrong word to describe PBR dude. It's the only game so far to battle with Shinnoh Pokemon in 3D. It is an excellent game for what the name implies: BATTLING. It's no Stadium 3, so it's unfair to judge it based on what Stadium has.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Oh yes, forgive me for that one. I forgot it was Genius Sorority. Maybe you're right, it doesn't suck, but it feels "bland", to say the least. It feels like a rushed game. Maybe with some more time, they'll learn from their mistakes and will end up taking the good parts from both Stadiums and PBR. I hope they announce something soon and don't disappoint us!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thepiplupstory View Post
    Probably a PBR like game. Maybe another Pikachu one. Hopefully a mystery Dungeon. If Pokemon starts releasing alot and good games for Wii U, I might buy it eventually, but I'm so far dissapointed with the 3DS game turnout, hopefully we'll see some Pokemon titles there in the future. but i wouldn't mind a game that could communicate w/ BW like PBR to DPPt
    Wii U Mystery Dungeon? I hope so as well. I'm already going to get the WII U due to Pikmin 3, since no pokemon titles have been annonced. I have an idea, you can see it in 3d on your tv, but on the game pad you can see it like in the Ds and Gba games.
    Thepiplupstory likes this.
    Smart enough to use forth in the wrong context
    Claims: Metagross and Travis Touchdown

I'd really love to see a new pokemon stadium. I loved the mini games, rental pokemon, GB tower and 3D pokedex. I'd do so much to see it remade. I also really think they should give pokemon snap another go.
    Anser likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow voicerocker On Twitter
    Visit voicerocker's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by SimH5 View Post
    I also really think they should give pokemon snap another go.
    Well, we kind of got that (in a different sort of way) with the Pokedex 3D Pro. We can take pics of any and ALL Pokemon in any environment we want. So in a way, we already have something of a Snap 2. It's not the same, but we're still taking pictures of Pokemon!
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

I would honestly much rather have another game like XD or Colosseum. The concept of PBR/Stadium dosen't really appeal to me at all. I never desired to buy PBR. I love Colosseum and XD, I love the story in those games, snagging the Shadow Pokemon and purifying them, seeing the Pokemon in full 3D, everything basically. They're challenging games, but I like that about them, that they weren't too easy and it took some time to get through them. There are parts of the game where you can just battle and send your Pokemon from your GBA games as well. I want something like that for the WiiU, I think it would be perfect, think about it, the game could have the story mode like Colosseum/XD and battle mode where you could bring Pokemon from your other games and even battle people over wi-fi. That's what I really would like to see on the WiiU, and it could be really great.
    Squeaky the sixth likes this.

I would like to see a game that is an extension of the Gen VI games. Something like the Dream World mixed with Battle Revolution. You could sync your games and transfer Pokemon into the U game for things like mini-games, battle frontier, online battles, world tournament, and even a safari zone (or several) so that you can transfer Pokemon back to your game.

as mentioned before, I'd think that a Colosseum/XD-like game would be good. But without snagging pokémon and actually like a pokémon game. But obviously somewhat different. and what would be soo awesome if the pokémon actually spoke like they did in the anime instead of the "cries" they have in the games

Avatar and signature made by me.

Visit Rocky505's Youtube Channel

Give me a game with colloseum mode and story mode. The colloseum mode can be like stadium or PBR and the Story mode like Col/XD.
    Squeaky the sixth likes this.

"I'm just a passing through Pokemon Trainer,"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12