Speculation: Anyone else want an MMORPG Pokrmon Style - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Speculation: Anyone else want an MMORPG Pokrmon Style

Default Re: Speculation: Anyone else want an MMORPG Pokrmon Style

Quote Originally Posted by smalllady View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudo View Post
    I care to disagree as much as their getting closer to MMO.
    So how are they "getting closer to MMO?"
    For one they have widened the trading spectrum you can talk to people through your ds you can challlenge players online its getting closer.
    Quote Originally Posted by black57mage View Post
    I think it would be very possible to make Pokemon into a good MMORPG. Likely, considering how stupid Nintendo is sometimes, probably not. Although if they did the following, I'll be willing to bet it would be good:

1. Keep it on the Wii/Wii U, whatever, and keep it strictly turn based like the current games. Controls don't matter much in a game like Pokemon, you just have to be able to move, interact with NPCs, and navigate the UI. All of that is possible with a standard controller.
    2. Allow for USB keyboard functionality. I refer to Final Fantasy XI. That game works just fine on X360 and PS2, although it still is more fun on PC. But, even on the consoles, you can move around, talk with NPCs, and with a USB keyboard, you can talk with anybody else just as easily as with a PC.
    3. Simplify it a little. If the games as they are right now are turned into an MMO, there will be all the casual gamers that don't know how to "properly" train Pokemon (EVs, IVs, etc.) and those who do. This would create a huge gap in the community, probably leading to a lot of the casual gamers to stop playing because they can't ever beat the more serious gamers. They would need to input some kind of system to REPLACE EVs and IVs, and honestly, who likes to EV train? It's a good idea, to reward the trainer for putting in the extra effort, but those factors aren't even explained in the game. Hell, their existence isn't even hinted at.
    4. Make the community more geared towards cooperative play, not competitive play. If the focus of the game is to have the players battle each other, then a similar problem will arise: even if the EVs and IVs are done away with, there will always be those who are just better than others. If they make double or triple battling against NPCs or something to that effect the focus, people won't care as much if the person they're fighting with is better, they'll probably like that quite a lot. Obviously there should be the option to battle other people whenever you wan't, but it shouldn't be the focus. Take WoW: you can partner up with people to make questing easier, and you can challenge people to a duel at (nearly) any time, but the latter doesn't have any real effect on the game.

Obviously there would be more issues they would have to address, but if they did these things I believe they'd have a great foundation for a Pokemon MMO.
    The usb keyboard when playing these games is an amasing help also I think it should be based on cooperitve play with groups or parties ,but have competive options also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishmaker Jirachi View Post
    Here's the biggest problem I see with this, if it ever existed:

!
    You look like a trainer! Let's battle! *theme plays*

If everyone was forced to do this, imagine how many unwanted battles would happen.
    of course in a game like this you would have to open a menu on the other player and challenge them

Blog Entries

For one they have widened the trading spectrum you can talk to people through your ds you can challlenge players online its getting closer.
    Sorry, but this isn't evidence that they're moving towards an MMO. Trading and battling with other people have always been a major part of the games. They're simply improving this aspect of the games as the technology improves.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

Blog Entries
    Follow voicerocker On Twitter
    Visit voicerocker's Youtube Channel

You're right and respect that alot so lets start at point one no the point isn't battle and trading
    What? Besides the Black City/White Forest thing, what other multiplayer options are there? None.

2. Pokemon have always been based off of animals and some inanimate objects sooner or later its gonna get hard to morph a bird or a caterpillar.
    Pokemon are also based on myths and religions, as well as pretty much anything that pops into GF's head that they like. Look through all Pokemon and see just how many are based on the same creator, yet are totally different. There are countless creatures and myths and objects in this world that they have not yet used.

Plus, Digimon and Yu-gi-oh have exceeded 1000 creatures by now.

Also while yes its good versus evil they're doing almost the same thing the bringing back some kind of legendary pokemon to remake the world or take it over or destroy it in which case you beat the leader then catch that pokemon.
    The Legendary Pokemon in the story thing started in Gen 3 and in my opinion, gave the Legends more purpose than just sticking them in a cave with no relation to the storyline whatsoever. Gen 3 and 4 were very similar, but Gen 5 took that and actually had the 2 mascots battle each other as part of the story. Though they are basically similar in structure, they are very different events.

Point 3 Yes we are playing the predetermined role of a player red defon,lucas ,may Etc. but why not get to be us with our favorite pokemon.
    Think about it this way: Does it make sense that EVERYONE literally is the chosen hero? Not really. We had character customization in Battle Revolution because there was no hero, we were intended to be ourselves for that game. But for the handheld main series, we have a certain story to tell involving certain characters.

Point 4 Most people dont just go out and buy the new sytem beacause they're new I still have my Dslite and the Wii I bought the day it came out out of sony nitendo and microsoft in the gaming area nitendo makes around the least.
    Last I heard, the 3DS was out-selling the Vita. But yes, plenty of people upgrade to the new systems when they come out. (just look at iPods and iPhones) The Wii did very well at first because it was cheaper, but after a while, everyone had one so sells went down. When the Wii U is released, people will buy. (I still have a working Super Nintendo as well. Just because a new system comes out doesn't mean people discard their old systems. I even have a Game Boy, but it no longer works.)

5 Most MMOs still have NPCs including Phantasy star final phantasy and WoW
    But with real players everywhere, there would be little need for the amount of NPCs currently in the games.

6. like I said their would still be NPCs and in a game like that you would have to earn your pokemon and their levels and I know from playing MMOs without experienced help theyre harder
    Pokemon is intended to be a very easy game to play. No need for it be harder. The real challenge is player vs. player, not the storyline battles.

and whileyoud have to play it at home there is no reason you cants still play the hand held games
    But the main point of Pokemon is that it is a handheld game. Game Freak has pointed out that they want it to stay a handheld game when it comes to the main series.

and a game like this would only be realeased every 5 or so years or maybe only once depending on map packs add ons etc
    The main series releases a new generation every 3-4 years already. DLC is just a cheaper way to handle new things. I'm glad they'd rather spend the extra money on new systems and graphics rather than just modify existing things and call it "new".
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12