Speculation: Anyone else want an MMORPG Pokrmon Style

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Speculation: Anyone else want an MMORPG Pokrmon Style

Default Speculation: Anyone else want an MMORPG Pokrmon Style

I'm talkin like similar to world of warcraft but you pick your trainer style instead of race Etc.

Default Re: Speculation: Anyone else want an MMORPG Pokrmon Style

It's alot of pokemon player's dream game. I'm pretty sure GF must have considered it.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

It's a good idea in paper, but it'll never happen since MMOs work better on PCs, and Nintendo never publishes games outside of their own systems.

Yea it's unfornate I think the Wii could pull it off even if it was using the classic remote.

Blog Entries
    Follow voicerocker On Twitter
    Visit voicerocker's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    It's a good idea in paper, but it'll never happen since MMOs work better on PCs, and Nintendo never publishes games outside of their own systems.
    ^This. I think this is one of the best cases of "sounds great, but isn't". Pokemon already is basically an MMO when you figure in battles with friends. And the way the games and storylines are, turning it into a full MMO wouldn't really add anything that the games would benefit from. It might even change the focus of the games. We like to imagine ourselves as the trainers in the games, but we aren't them, we are playing the roles of these characters and telling THEIR story, not ours. We are actors in this sense, so there is no reason for a full MMO from that view either.
    Setra likes this.
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami

Quote Originally Posted by voicerocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    ^This. I think this is one of the best cases of "sounds great, but isn't". Pokemon already is basically an MMO when you figure in battles with friends. And the way the games and storylines are, turning it into a full MMO wouldn't really add anything that the games would benefit from. It might even change the focus of the games. We like to imagine ourselves as the trainers in the games, but we aren't them, we are playing the roles of these characters and telling THEIR story, not ours. We are actors in this sense, so there is no reason for a full MMO from that view either.
    Honestly to me your right and wrong. 1 It's more of a basic multiplyer game most of the players dont connect with other people through online gameplay. 2 to me the story is almost always the same , and it's getting kind of old and they're running out of pokemon they need a good twist. 3 We do see ourselves as them and even make our own teams, trainer cards ,parteners ,and many other things so why not. 4 They would benefit from it for example sega owns the phantasy star series the game Phantasy Star: Universe has cost 10.00$ a month for the past 6 years they are still making 2000$ off of a game that has 9 servers left and is shutting them all down in 6 days. 5 Just beacause they make it an MMORPG doesnt mean the game has to lose its focus and any good MMORPG has a story mode and an offline mode witch means you can still battle team rocket or whoever you wanna put in the game. 6. Imagine it like pokemon Coliseum with people running around and coordinated areas with missions or battles

Blog Entries

Oh, it's this topic again.

"Pokemon" and "MMORPG" do not go together. Ever. The end.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

Quote Originally Posted by smalllady View Post
    Oh, it's this topic again.

"Pokemon" and "MMORPG" do not go together. Ever. The end.
    I care to disagree as much as their getting closer to MMO.

Blog Entries
    Follow voicerocker On Twitter
    Visit voicerocker's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Fudo View Post
    Honestly to me your right and wrong. 1 It's more of a basic multiplyer game most of the players dont connect with other people through online gameplay.
    Pokemon's intent is to bring people together to battle, but the overall function is as a 1 player RPG. There isn't much you can do multiplayer-wise with the games besides trade and battle. (even though those are the 2 biggest points of the game).

2 to me the story is almost always the same , and it's getting kind of old and they're running out of pokemon they need a good twist.
    The story has been the same since Red and Green, but honestly, no one really plays Pokemon because of the storylines. They play it for the Pokemon, which they are NOT running out of. When Ruby and Sapphire came out, people though it was the end of Pokemon because the Pokemon "looked like Digimon" and they were "out of ideas". 10 years later, Black 2 and White 2 are almost ready for international release. The story is basic good vs. evil, but changed up enough to keep it interesting. Team Rocket is not like Team Plasma.

3 We do see ourselves as them and even make our own teams, trainer cards ,parteners ,and many other things so why not.
    Because those characters are not intended to literally be ourselves in anime form. It's just like the Legend of Zelda. You can change his name to Bob or Rick, but you are playing the role of Link, which is no different from being Red in Gen 1 or Kyouhei/Mei in Gen 5 now.

4 They would benefit from it for example sega owns the phantasy star series the game Phantasy Star: Universe has cost 10.00$ a month for the past 6 years they are still making 2000$ off of a game that has 9 servers left and is shutting them all down in 6 days.
    But Nintendo makes money every time some runs out to buy a DS or 3DS just because a new Pokemon game is out. Nintendo's consoles make a lot of money themselves, not just the games.

5 Just beacause they make it an MMORPG doesnt mean the game has to lose its focus and any good MMORPG has a story mode and an offline mode witch means you can still battle team rocket or whoever you wanna put in the game.
    But still, it really THAT much different from the current set-up the games have to warrant an MMO? The NPCs are there for us to level our Pokemon up and serve as challenges. I don't really see why replacing the NPCs with real players is worth the investment.

6. Imagine it like pokemon Coliseum with people running around and coordinated areas with missions or battles
    Sounds complicated. The Pokemon games have always been fairly simple, which is part of their appeal. Again, the NPCs serve as the challenge. I'd imagine new gamers would grow tired of constantly running into trainers with teams full of Legendary Pokemon. And still, I'd much rather carry my Pokemon with me on my 3DS than be stuck on my computer playing it.
    Setra likes this.
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami

Quote Originally Posted by voicerocker View Post
    Honestly to me your right and wrong. 1 It's more of a basic multiplyer game most of the players dont connect with other people through online gameplay.
    Pokemon's intent is to bring people together to battle, but the overall function is as a 1 player RPG. There isn't much you can do multiplayer-wise with the games besides trade and battle. (even though those are the 2 biggest points of the game).

2 to me the story is almost always the same , and it's getting kind of old and they're running out of pokemon they need a good twist.
    The story has been the same since Red and Green, but honestly, no one really plays Pokemon because of the storylines. They play it for the Pokemon, which they are NOT running out of. When Ruby and Sapphire came out, people though it was the end of Pokemon because the Pokemon "looked like Digimon" and they were "out of ideas". 10 years later, Black 2 and White 2 are almost ready for international release. The story is basic good vs. evil, but changed up enough to keep it interesting. Team Rocket is not like Team Plasma.

3 We do see ourselves as them and even make our own teams, trainer cards ,parteners ,and many other things so why not.
    Because those characters are not intended to literally be ourselves in anime form. It's just like the Legend of Zelda. You can change his name to Bob or Rick, but you are playing the role of Link, which is no different from being Red in Gen 1 or Kyouhei/Mei in Gen 5 now.

4 They would benefit from it for example sega owns the phantasy star series the game Phantasy Star: Universe has cost 10.00$ a month for the past 6 years they are still making 2000$ off of a game that has 9 servers left and is shutting them all down in 6 days.
    But Nintendo makes money every time some runs out to buy a DS or 3DS just because a new Pokemon game is out. Nintendo's consoles make a lot of money themselves, not just the games.

5 Just beacause they make it an MMORPG doesnt mean the game has to lose its focus and any good MMORPG has a story mode and an offline mode witch means you can still battle team rocket or whoever you wanna put in the game.
    But still, it really THAT much different from the current set-up the games have to warrant an MMO? The NPCs are there for us to level our Pokemon up and serve as challenges. I don't really see why replacing the NPCs with real players is worth the investment.

6. Imagine it like pokemon Coliseum with people running around and coordinated areas with missions or battles
    Sounds complicated. The Pokemon games have always been fairly simple, which is part of their appeal. Again, the NPCs serve as the challenge. I'd imagine new gamers would grow tired of constantly running into trainers with teams full of Legendary Pokemon. And still, I'd much rather carry my Pokemon with me on my 3DS than be stuck on my computer playing it.
    You're right and respect that alot so lets start at point one no the point isn't battle and trading 2. Pokemon have always been based off of animals and some inanimate objects sooner or later its gonna get hard to morph a bird or a caterpillar. Also while yes its good versus evil they're doing almost the same thing the bringing back some kind of legendary pokemon to remake the world or take it over or destroy it in which case you beat the leader then catch that pokemon.
    Point 3 Yes we are playing the predetermined role of a player red defon,lucas ,may Etc. but why not get to be us with our favorite pokemon.
    Point 4 Most people dont just go out and buy the new sytem beacause they're new I still have my Dslite and the Wii I bought the day it came out out of sony nitendo and microsoft in the gaming area nitendo makes around the least.
    5 Most MMOs still have NPCs including Phantasy star final phantasy and WoW
    6. like I said their would still be NPCs and in a game like that you would have to earn your pokemon and their levels and I know from playing MMOs without experienced help theyre harder and whileyoud have to play it at home there is no reason you cants still play the hand held games and a game like this would only be realeased every 5 or so years or maybe only once depending on map packs add ons etc

Registered User StrikingMidfield's Avatar

I would play it for sure, but I'm not sure if it would really work well. Also there's the whole Nintendo never publishes outside of their own consoles things, but that's already been said so I won't go into that. I'm not really sure what it would add honestly. I mean right now the games a RPG, and turning it into a MMORPG might ruin the RPG elements. Still would be interested.

Blog Entries

I care to disagree as much as their getting closer to MMO.
    So how are they "getting closer to MMO?"

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

Blog Entries

I think it would be very possible to make Pokemon into a good MMORPG. Likely, considering how stupid Nintendo is sometimes, probably not. Although if they did the following, I'll be willing to bet it would be good:

1. Keep it on the Wii/Wii U, whatever, and keep it strictly turn based like the current games. Controls don't matter much in a game like Pokemon, you just have to be able to move, interact with NPCs, and navigate the UI. All of that is possible with a standard controller.
    2. Allow for USB keyboard functionality. I refer to Final Fantasy XI. That game works just fine on X360 and PS2, although it still is more fun on PC. But, even on the consoles, you can move around, talk with NPCs, and with a USB keyboard, you can talk with anybody else just as easily as with a PC.
    3. Simplify it a little. If the games as they are right now are turned into an MMO, there will be all the casual gamers that don't know how to "properly" train Pokemon (EVs, IVs, etc.) and those who do. This would create a huge gap in the community, probably leading to a lot of the casual gamers to stop playing because they can't ever beat the more serious gamers. They would need to input some kind of system to REPLACE EVs and IVs, and honestly, who likes to EV train? It's a good idea, to reward the trainer for putting in the extra effort, but those factors aren't even explained in the game. Hell, their existence isn't even hinted at.
    4. Make the community more geared towards cooperative play, not competitive play. If the focus of the game is to have the players battle each other, then a similar problem will arise: even if the EVs and IVs are done away with, there will always be those who are just better than others. If they make double or triple battling against NPCs or something to that effect the focus, people won't care as much if the person they're fighting with is better, they'll probably like that quite a lot. Obviously there should be the option to battle other people whenever you wan't, but it shouldn't be the focus. Take WoW: you can partner up with people to make questing easier, and you can challenge people to a duel at (nearly) any time, but the latter doesn't have any real effect on the game.

Obviously there would be more issues they would have to address, but if they did these things I believe they'd have a great foundation for a Pokemon MMO.

Your resident cynic. Wishmaker Jirachi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here's the biggest problem I see with this, if it ever existed:

!
    You look like a trainer! Let's battle! *theme plays*

If everyone was forced to do this, imagine how many unwanted battles would happen.
    I'm the resident cynic of two forums.
    Pokémon Claim: White Kyurem
    Move Claim: Ice Burn
    Item Claim: DNA Splicers (All related!)

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

NO. A big, fat, N-O.

I hate MMORPGs. So making a Pokemon MMORPG would completely ruin the series for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast