Species that have never been viable in-game, but aren't half-bad? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Species that have never been viable in-game, but aren't half-bad?

N.k

Default Re: Species that have never been viable in-game, but aren't half-bad?

Clefairy in G/S/C… I could've used them earlier.

Also, hearing that Jigglypuff won't be on Route 46 in HG/SS makes me annoyed... Of course, Serebii's info could be false, but…

Blog Entries

I agree with the people who have said Kanto fossils... you get them WAY too late (like the 7th gym at level 5)

Easily togepi in HGSS. I went through with it on my team but after a certain point (about 5 gyms in) it was nearly worthless. Shiny stone should have been available earlier, with togekiss in the national dex.
    Super special awesome avatar by my man Kumo.

Wears sunglasses at night deuxhero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Scizor View Post
    I've been thinking about this... a Pokemon caught 7 gyms in really isn't "unusable" because of how late it appears. You can always train it! Shocking I know!

I think it has to do with laziness more than anything. There are legitimate answers like Larvitar in HGSS.
    Yes, because grinding 20 or so levels (plus EVs) when most of the game isn't around to use it afterwards is so very worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex
    JC Denton: "What a shame."

Banana eating Gengar GengarEatBanana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Spiritomb is soooooooo annoying to get, even if it is a good Pokemon.

I've raised a Swinub in HeartGold. By the time a got to Clair it was a Piloswine so it was worth it. It's actually better for the Elite 4 as most of Clair's Pokemon have Water attacks and by then you would've had enough time to get it too a Mamoswine.

------------------------

I have officially claimed Wailord
    Check out my Reviews on the Bug Type, just go to my blog here

Archosaur Enthusiast Spikeheila's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy1 View Post
    Easily togepi in HGSS. I went through with it on my team but after a certain point (about 5 gyms in) it was nearly worthless. Shiny stone should have been available earlier, with togekiss in the national dex.
    Togepi can beat the crap out of most of it's opponents with extrasensory alone. plus togetic's own attacks

theres a reason I still managed to beat the e4 in HG without my togetic evolved.

Electric Friend Safari: Luxio, Electabuzz, Pachirisu.

Gmt -6. I live in the burning mansion of the west district where solarbeam dosen`t even take a turn. O.O

Quote Originally Posted by Karpi View Post
    I agree with the people who have said Kanto fossils... you get them WAY too late (like the 7th gym at level 5)
    I have done that in fire red recently It was worth it because Aerodactly became my highest lvl pokemon. Most of the fossil pokemon isn`t bad, but the seven gym is too much. That is why I went got Aero after my fifth badge.
    Diamond FC 5156-9204-9158
    White FC 4255-2794-4246
    We should support Japan!
    Owner of the most holiest Cero.
    Already in search for a Timid with a 70 base power hidden power rock.

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by Red G View Post
    Because not training a level 20 swinub 20 levels to have a chance at Clair's dragons is lazy. Right.
    It is lazy, because this is exactly what I did. I'm sorry if you don't want to go to the E4 with an unstoppable murderbeast (Mamoswine). That DOES make you lazy.

Mystery in another region Koukoubean's Avatar

Follow Koukoubean on Tumblr

Definitely Spiritomb in D/P/Pt. Perhaps one of the hardest Pokemon to obtain within the range of the story. Even though I have a good number of Odd Keystones that I got from the Underground, I can't get it due to the wireless requirement.

Larvitar and Sneasel in HG/SS are other good examples. Their final forms are very useful, but they aren't accessible, not even for the Kanto gyms...

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

Wailmer in Ruby
    i always wanted to use one, but they appear so late...

Blog Entries

With enough patience, any Pokémon that can be caught before the post-game, in a game with decent to good training aids, and a well done level curve is viable. Honestly, very few games have this problem. Mainly, GSC and Colosseum. The first more so. HGSS isn't too friendly, either, with the new areas barely relieving the general shortcomings in these games.

In that regard, I'd say Larvitar for obvious reasons. Bagon also comes pretty late, and it's difficult getting it to Level 50 before the Elite Four. And basically, anything you can find after defeating Chuck in GSC/HGSS due to the horrible level curve in these games, and lack of half-decent wild Pokémon before the Elite Four in easily accessed places (Mt. Mortar is the only place with high leveled Pokémon in the innermost areas, and you can only get in there after beating the 8th Gym).
    lol I got bored.

Wears sunglasses at night deuxhero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Hasta View Post
    With enough patience, any Pokémon that can be caught before the post-game, in a game with decent to good training aids, and a well done level curve is viable. Honestly, very few games have this problem. Mainly, GSC and Colosseum. The first more so. HGSS isn't too friendly, either, with the new areas barely relieving the general shortcomings in these games.
    But all such Pokes are less viable than every thing else. Most players don't want to spend endless time grinding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex
    JC Denton: "What a shame."

In RSE I'd say Aron. It appears early but it's a bitch to train and doesn't become really useful for awhile but Aggron is a really good pokemon.

Freakin Adorable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    But all such Pokes are less viable than every thing else. Most players don't want to spend endless time grinding.
    "Endless time" is quite a stretch. As I said, a game with every factor I mentioned (Game with decent to good training aids, and a well done level curve), grinding takes very little time. For one, Pokémon you find later on are at a close enough level to the Trainer median at that point. Plus, it's not like Pokémon are extremely hard games to beat. Most people seem to have the funny idea that you have to match the opposing Trainer's levels to have a chance. Nothing more farther from the truth.

I've played through with Pokémon you don't get after the 6th Gym, and I never had to grind for a very long time, so... this might be impossible in games like HGSS, but it's very possible in every other game.
    lol I got bored.

RBY: Tauros. A power house, but WAY too hard to get.
    GS: Anything not named Lake of Rage Gyarados
    RSE: Fossils, Beldum, and Slakoth
    DPPt: Gabite in Platnium. Aced E4 for me, but found at Victory Road.
    BW: Box legendary

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast