Species that have never been viable in-game, but aren't half-bad?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Species that have never been viable in-game, but aren't half-bad?

Wears sunglasses at night deuxhero's Avatar

Default Species that have never been viable in-game, but aren't half-bad?

There are some Pokémon that have regularly been a strong choice in-game (Abra and Gyarados in every non-BW title bar colo and XD IIRC) or been usable in quite a few times (Mareep is obtained very early in GSHGSS Colo and XD Ralts is a strong tier in RSEDPP and XD).

But what about Pokémon that have viable stats and movepool but have never (or almost never, such as obscure cases where only the third game or Colo/XD) been viable for in-game use due to other things outclassing them or late arrival? For example, Spoink is outclassed by TWO psychic families with much earlier join dates and level up moves, plus joins just before the 4th gym with no advantage over it). Also valid is if a species WAS obtainable, but only became viable latter (By gaining new evolutions, useful new moves like Electrike's new fire type stuff, or being boosted by the special physical alterations of gen 4)

I want to list such species.

For the record, viable join time indicates around the 3rd gym without deliberate sequence breaking (Yes, it is possible to reach the Safari Zone with only 2 badges, 0/1 with glitch abuse, but the stuff there doesn't count), with XD and Colo being harder to judge. Post-Credits/national dex only stuff very much counts.

Obviously legendary pokes, are powerful and arriving late game (The legendary beasts being the only exception if you are lucky or playing Colo), but are generally useful enough to overcome that, plus aren't really in the spirit of this question. Pesudo-lengends are also invalid for this list.

Outclassed/Joins too late
    Exeggcute (Kanto Safari Zone unless your Blue, who can find one between the S.S. Anne and Pokémon Tower.)
    Weavile (Just before the 7th and 8th gym, can't evolve outside of DPP)
    Spoink
    Misdreavus (Easily the most triumphant example of joining stupidly late with nothing to show for it, final dungeon ho!)

Not viable at time
    Electrike
    Misdreavus (in colo)
    Last edited by deuxhero; 29th January 2011 at 11:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex
    JC Denton: "What a shame."

God forgives, I don't. SinCosTan's Avatar

Default Re: Species that have never been viable in-game, but aren't half-bad?

In pearl Misdreavus is found in Eterna Forest. You can evolve her into Mismagius with the dusk stone.
    When you find yourself in hell, dance with the devil.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

R/S/E - Metagross. When do you get Beldum? After the Elite 4. At least HGSS fixed this problem too (PokéWalker! Yay!)
    G/S/C - Tyranitar. At least HGSS fixed this problem.

God forgives, I don't. SinCosTan's Avatar

You can make them viable by trading eggs over.
    When you find yourself in hell, dance with the devil.

PDL

Quote Originally Posted by X-Scizor View Post
    You can make them viable by trading eggs over.
    But that requires well... trading, and breeding. (Which you can't really do in the Gen I games).

That reminds me though, the Pokémon you got from in-game trades were pretty useless. Made even worse in the Gen I games (and to an extent, their Gen III remakes). These would include Farfetch'd, Lickitung, Mr. Mime and Jynx. You would only get the one per game. You couldn't breed them for better stats (and their genders were set so a Ditto was vital) until you've been the game and gained access to the island with a breeding center.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Blog Entries

The Teddiursa-line.

Since my username on German internet-sites has always been "Launebär" (engl. "Moodbear" a comic character of mine) I used the nickname "TeddiUrsa" on Pokemonforums for obvious reasons. I always liked the species but, sadly, I could never train one.

Just take a look at the games it is in:

Gold/Silver: route 45, WAY too late
    Crystal: Dark Cave, well...I didn't own Crystal, so..yeah
    Ruby/Sapphire: not in the game
    FR/LG: Altering cave...yeah, so not in this game
    Emerald: only in the extented Safari Zone, which only opens after the E4
    Diamond/Pearl/Platinum: Dual slot mode, only after E4
    HG/SS: just like the original game...route 45. It isn't even a Pokewalker Pokemon...
    Black/White: none

I am not too sure about Colloseum ( never played XD), but I think Ursaring was pretty late into the game as well.
    Edit: looked it up...Ursaring was only available as a shadow pokemon AFTER the main boss...

In HGSS I had to trade an egg with a friend right after the 1st gym to FINALLY be able to use a Teddiursa early on. I bred the Teddiursa egg in platinum btw...
    Last edited by TeddiUrsa; 29th January 2011 at 10:01 AM.

Ol' Brown Eyes is back Jesse GS the II's Avatar

The fact that you couldn't get Sneasel, Misdreavus, or Larvitar until Mt. Silver in the original Gold/Silver/Crystal bugged the hell out of me. (I know Sneasel was pretty much worthless in Generation II, but I still liked it.)
    This is my DeviantArt. Pretty neat, huh?

Jouto Redux
    One fan's re-imagining of the Jouto saga
    Read Chapter 6 now!

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Its almost like GS went out of its way to make any good Johto Pokemon available too late to be of any use.

Seriously, the early game is filled with Kanto Pokemon. A major flaw of GS some rectified in Crsytal but still glaringly obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by TeddiUrsa View Post
    I am not too sure about Colloseum ( never played XD), but I think Ursaring was pretty late into the game as well.

Teddiursa is actually THE first Shadow Pokémon in XD.

I didn't realize that Teddiursa has been so boned. I recalled getting it's alt version counterpart Phanpy early on route 46, but upon checking I realized that it in Crystal only (and that Phanpy is equally boned).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu Shoji View Post
    R/S/E - Metagross. When do you get Beldum? After the Elite 4. At least HGSS fixed this problem too (PokéWalker! Yay!)
    Who needs Metagross when Salamence is literally the next best thing? I honestly like the idea of Pseudo-Legends being late game Pokemon only available after a certain number of gyms have been defeated. It honestly makes sense given how powerful they are compared to most other Pokemon.

"Welcome, my comrades, to my frozen abyss.~"
    Anime Characters Claimed: Mighty, Shirobon, Shout (Bomberman Jetters)

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Milotic anyone? It takes too much effort to get one althogh it is the best water type available in RSE and one of the best Water Types to this day.

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

Salamance. Really cool, but needs Surf and (I believe) Waterfall.

I wouldn't say Weavile, though. Sneasel may be late, but it and Weavile hit like a rocket-powered maglev train speeding at 600 mph. You just need to plan.

I'm going to say Wailord and anything else that evolves stupidly late and is lame prior to evolution. Like, say, Munchlax, Wailmer, and other such pokémon.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Quote Originally Posted by Sith Droideka View Post
    Salamance. Really cool, but needs Surf and (I believe) Waterfall.

I wouldn't say Weavile, though. Sneasel may be late, but it and Weavile hit like a rocket-powered maglev train speeding at 600 mph. You just need to plan.

I'm going to say Wailord and anything else that evolves stupidly late and is lame prior to evolution. Like, say, Munchlax, Wailmer, and other such pokémon.
    Again, Pesudo-legends don't count.

Weavile simply matter of factly comes at the game's end when your team is full. Plus it only gets a physical ice move by breeding or high level prior to evolution.

Metagross and T-tar, for one. That and the fossils in G.I and G.III - by the time you could revive them, you were in the last stretch of the game. Tyrogue had a similar problem. As for late capture, I've always had my final teams together before I hit Lillycove and Olivine Cities, making anything not available before those points extraneous (Swinub in GSC and Absol in Plat. stand out).

For that matter, Munchlax's complete and utter rarity in DPPt made Snorlax almost non-option outside of trading in D/P.

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Munchlax in D/P/PT and febass in any game that its in because its hard to find and hard to evo(execpet in black/white where its easy to evo).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast