Soundtrack and Sound Effects Speculation - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundtrack and Sound Effects Speculation

Default Re: Soundtrack and Sound Effects Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Angela-Samshi View Post
    Soundtracks doesn't need to be orchestrated to be considered "high quality" or anything.
    You can compose high quality music on a computer as much as you can compose high quality music with real instruments.
    I completely agree. There are tons of games on PS3, X360 and even on Wii with outstanding non-orchestrated soundtracks.
    Actually there are more nice computer made OSTs than orchestrated ones.

Choosing to make a soundtrack with real instruments is merely an artistic choice and not because the quality of the tracks are better this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    Game Freak has no reason to make the games sound as retro as the DS games did.
    Well, besides the fact that soundtracks composed on computers usually sound better and fit video games more than orchestrated OSTs, yeah, they has no reasons.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

They actually don't, but to each his own.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on September 17th, 2014

Yes they do, but yeah, to each their own.

The Stray Veteran Pokemon Blazing Charmander's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree that it is about time the GB Pokemon cries were replaced, considering that we're moving into the realms of 3D on a much more powerful system. I owned Pokemon Stadium for a few months before I had Red and Blue, and although back in 2000 the 8-bit cries were understandable due to the Game Boy's limited capabilities, I have always yearned for cries as realistic as those on Pokemon Stadium.

What I liked about the cries in Stadium was that they basically improvised on those used for each Pokemon in the handheld games and made them sound so much more like real-life animals. I always found it a shame that this wasn't built upon in Colosseum, XD and Battle Revolution where Genius Sonority lazily used the original cries. With the 3DS we finally have a handheld console that may be capable of storing more sophisticated sound files, therefore I would honestly be disappointed if more realistic cries were not implemented (at least for Gen I and II Pokemon, anyway).
    "My Dream..."

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And if people doesn't like new realistic cries instead of the electronic ones, they could always add a retro on/off setting to the games to please old fans, like in HeartGold/SoulSilver with the GB Sounds if anyone can recall what it is.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Speaking of Pokémon cries, notice this: We have not heard a single cry in Generation VI as of the first trailer (except maybe Yveltal during the CG, which might not be used in the game). Of course, my bets are that we're not going to get new cries for anyone but the new Pokémon, but there's hope for you guys yet since they haven't shown anything.
    I'm the resident cynic of two forums.
    Pokémon Claim: White Kyurem
    Move Claim: Ice Burn
    Item Claim: DNA Splicers (All related!)

Stars, Rainbows and Stars Chronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If Gen VI doesn't have a musical style of its own, I hope it takes elements from Gen III's soundtrack. I thought Gen III had the best music of all the gens, followed by Gen V.

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    If Gen VI doesn't have a musical style of its own, I hope it takes elements from Gen III's soundtrack. I thought Gen III had the best music of all the gens, followed by Gen V.
    I never really liked Generation III's sound style, actually - I much preferred the next Generation, which was quickly overtaken by Generation V (especially in B2W2) when I got my copies of Black and Black 2.
    It makes me wonder if what we heard in the trailer is actually going to be in the game...and I really hope it is.

I'm curious about whether they'll be using MIDI + soundbank for the soundtrack like in the DS games, or if they'll move onto looping fully rendered tracks like they did with the B2/W2 title screen. Using fully rendered tracks ofcourse gives them the power to make more high quality sounding tracks, but I would miss being able to obtain the MIDIs of the tracks.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Music and Sound Discussion

Well, with a new generation not only comes new Pokemon, characters, and cities, but also new music.

While Pokemon Music has always been great, Black and White and Black 2 and White 2 I felt really took it to the next level with dynamic music, songs with "lyrics", and other little neat stuff like the Critical Danger theme when your Pokemon is running out of health.

So, what would you like to see them do with music and sound-effects come Gen VI? Any particular instrument you'd like to hear utilized? What about Pokemon cries?

Personally, one thing I've wanted for quite awhile is location-based battle music. I don't mean radically different songs, but my idea was for the battle music to slightly change depending on the area you're in. So, on the field and such, it'd be the normal music (and dependent on if it's a trainer/wild battle like always), but then when you're in a cave, the music would be drowned-out and have an echo effect. When surfing, the music would be remixed as well to have perhaps a tropical sound added to it, like a ukulele backing. And when you're in buildings that aren't Gyms, give the music a "speaker" quality, as if it sounds like the building itself is playing the music over the intercom.

And while Gyms in B2/W2 had their own music, I'd love to see them take that a step farther and give the Gym Leaders themselves their own unique battle themes. Like, for example, we have that possible Bug Gym Leader...his/her music could be a rendition of the Gym Leader Battle with instruments making bug-like noises and such.

Finally, I'd love for them to get a bit crazy with lyrics in the music, especially for the villainous teams. Not going to lie, a hardcore song with random engrish rap in the background (I imagine something like the music in Baten Kaitos when you fight Giacomo, Chaotic Dance) would be pretty boss when fighting the Evil Team Leader.
    Yu-Gi-Oh!
    Duel Monsters Sengoku!

An original Yu-Gi-Oh Fanfic! Join Yuto Masamune and his Imperial Monster Patch-Eye Dragon as they take on Sengoku Academy!

Current Chapter -Turn 2: One-Eyed Duelist, One-Eyed Dragon! Impress Summon, [Patch-Eye Dragon]!

Yuto continues his Duel against Shisa, a delinquent who calls himself a "Chain Duelist!". Just then, as Shisa's strong offense and defense overwhelms Yuto, a new type of summon occurs!

Well, considering that the new region is most likely based on France, I'd like the music to be similar to the tracks you listen on Professor Layton games.
    Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_H1gMNPoXU

It sounds so gorgeous.

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Wishmaker Jirachi View Post
    It makes me wonder if what we heard in the trailer is actually going to be in the game...and I really hope it is.
    As someone else before me already said, ever since DP all of the main series games' trailers show the ingame version of the Pokémon theme used in the game that's being advertised. Since the Jan 8th trailer features a unique version of the the Pokémon main theme too, it's almost 100% sure that that music is what we're going to hear ingame in XY's title screen.

About the music style of the games, I don't know. Personally, I'm not too much into dance music, but I love epic soundtracks, so I'd prefer a traditional, adventurish soundtrack over a dance/eurobeat one just for the sake of this being Europe; after all, that's not the only music produced over there. Also, I think when people thinks of Europe in music, the first thing to come to their minds is classical, not eurobeat, so if Masuda's mind hasn't changed since he made that statement, it's likely that we'll get a classical-ish styled soundtrack and since 'epic' music tends to be orchestrated to give a classical music impression, I would enjoy the idea. That's what I wish and what I think.

However, I don't mind if it's actually orchestrated (as in "performed and recorded live", not necessarily literal orchestral music) or just MIDIs. Today MIDI, synths and whatever, imitate real instruments pretty close, so close that for an untrained ear it might be difficult to differentiate them if done with the right software and tools, and the 3DS has such capabilities. Personally, I've played some games thinking their music was played live only to later find it wasn't (I'm looking at you, Twilight Princess, you nearly fooled me). The only instrument which I think can't be done well on MIDI is the electric guitar, but since Pokémon games rarely have guitars in their music, it's fine for me to keep the MIDIs, as long as they're high quality MIDIs.

Why is everybody in a fuss with orchestrated soundtracks? Sure, orchestral music is great and all, but it doesn't fit every game nor every situation. Such music for a humorous moment, for example, would just kill the joke and ruin the moment. While ochestrated music is epic, not all the games are, and Pokémon certainly, not always is. While I imagine that kind of music for big battles and villains themes, lighthearted parts of the game should feature non-orchestral instruments. So, if by "orchestrated" you mean "real instruments, live performance", then I'm all for it (though, as I said earlier, I wouldn't complain if it doesn't happen), if you mean "performed by a literal orchestra" I'd say yes, but moderately.

Although if there's gonna be more songs with actual singing, they do must be recorded with real instruments. If they'll put prerecorded MP3 track for the vocals, why not record the whole song already? Anyways, if that's the case, I doubt there'll be more than a few vocalised songs. We all know Nintendo and its second parties are so totally not into voice acting, even in music. And that's great, btw - I hate the generic rock songs of the Sonic games, for instance. To me, what makes videogames' music so awesome, is that, just like in movies, it describes the moment and sets the mood without words. I like vocals in games' music, just no lyrics please.

Which brings me to my last point: voice acting. What I want? Full voice acting for human characters (maybe not the whole game, putting voice to the tutorials would suck, but for the plot-relevant dialogue) and updated cries for the old Pokémon (ala Stadium), and NO Poké-speak, please. What we think we'll get? Most probably we won't get any vocie acting, if any some grunts and exclamations not unlike Zelda and Mario games; I think it's still plausible we'll get the Stadium-like updated cries, but I'm not totally counting on that one either. I hope I'm wrong and we get full voice acting, but considering the worldwide release, it's almost sure we won't.
    Last edited by VeggiePopper; 2nd February 2013 at 11:36 PM.

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Quote Originally Posted by VeggiePopper View Post
    As someone else before me already said, ever since DP all of the main series games' trailers show the ingame version of the Pokémon theme used in the game that's being advertised. Since the Jan 8th trailer features a unique version of the the Pokémon main theme too, it's almost 100% sure that that music is what we're going to hear ingame in XY's title screen.

About the music style of the games, I don't know. Personally, I'm not too much into dance music, but I love epic soundtracks, so I'd prefer a traditional, adventurish soundtrack over a dance/eurobeat one just for the sake of this being Europe; after all, that's not the only music produced over there. Also, I think when people thinks of Europe in music, the first thing to come to their minds is classical, not eurobeat, so if Masuda's mind hasn't changed since he made that statement, it's likely that we'll get a classical-ish styled soundtrack and since 'epic' music tends to be orchestrated to give a classical music impression, I would enjoy the idea. That's what I wish and what I think.

However, I don't mind if it's actually orchestrated (as in "performed and recorded live", not necessarily literal orchestral music) or just MIDIs. Today MIDI, synths and whatever, imitate real instruments pretty close, so close that for an untrained ear it might be difficult to differentiate them if done with the right software and tools, and the 3DS has such capabilities. Personally, I've played some games thinking their music was played live only to later find it wasn't (I'm looking at you, Twilight Princess, you nearly fooled me). The only instrument which I think can't be done well on MIDI is the electric guitar, but since Pokémon games rarely have guitars in their music, it's fine for me to keep the MIDIs, as long as they're high quality MIDIs.

Why is everybody in a fuss with orchestrated soundtracks? Sure, orchestral music is great and all, but it doesn't fit every game nor every situation. Such music for a humorous moment, for example, would just kill the joke and ruin the moment. While ochestrated music is epic, not all the games are, and Pokémon certainly, not always is. While I imagine that kind of music for big battles and villains themes, lighthearted parts of the game should feature non-orchestral instruments. So, if by "orchestrated" you mean "real instruments, live performance", then I'm all for it (though, as I said earlier, I wouldn't complain if it doesn't happen), if you mean "performed by a literal orchestra" I'd say yes, but moderately.

Although if there's gonna be more songs with actual singing, they do must be recorded with real instruments. If they'll put prerecorded MP3 track for the vocals, why not record the whole song already? Anyways, if that's the case, I doubt there'll be more than a few vocalised songs. We all know Nintendo and its second parties are so totally not into voice acting, even in music. And that's great, btw - I hate the generic rock songs of the Sonic games, for instance. To me, what makes videogames' music so awesome, is that, just like in movies, it describes the moment and sets the mood without words. I like vocals in games' music, just no lyrics please.

Which brings me to my last point: voice acting. What I want? Full voice acting for human characters (maybe not the whole game, putting voice to the tutorials would suck, but for the plot-relevant dialogue) and updated cries for the old Pokémon (ala Stadium), and NO Poké-speak, please. What we think we'll get? Most probably we won't get any vocie acting, if any some grunts and exclamations not unlike Zelda and Mario games; I think it's still plausible we'll get the Stadium-like updated cries, but I'm not totally counting on that one either. I hope I'm wrong and we get full voice acting, but considering the worldwide release, it's almost sure we won't.
    Analog music is what you're talking about. Either that, or you just need to remember about digitally made music.

Either way, I think I can see where you're coming from. About the only thing I would disagree with is voice acting - one thing that it would kind-of do is remove the interpretation of the characters, especially for the player character.
    Also, given the time frame, I would say that unless we're getting a super-linear Pokémon game (and trust me, you don't want to start arguments on that), we're definitely not getting full voice acting. All I could see as a possibility is that we would get grunts a la Link from The Legend of Zelda, though the role of that was fulfilled in previous games by the reaction bubbles that were expanded upon in Generation V (with confusion, music notes and whatnot).

Commentator in player-vs-player or major battles would be nice, though...

Follow Mordicuno on Tumblr

That music that plays during the Gym Leader's last Pokemon in Gen V. That was awesome and so adrenaline-pumping. I hope they keep that.
    Also, that thing they did with the Gym music theme in B2W2, where each Gym had its unique remix of the classic Gym music. They should keep that too.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That they're keeping so much of it silent is bothering me.

One thing is the first trailer, that's understandable...

But Sylveon's video is almost entirely silent. Only the attack SFX. No cries, no music, no nothing.

So I think they really ARE hiding something regarding the sound in general. Maybe they're redoing all cries, maybe the games will feature dynamic music (which they already peeked into with Gen V)...

If the later, I would appreciate critical health variations for all battle songs, that's for sure.

[/overexposition]

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast