Should the silent protaginist of the games talk and have a personality? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Should the silent protaginist of the games talk and have a personality?

A E I Own You. PikachuColoredPichu's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Should the silent protaginist of the games talk and have a personality?

No, I like being the character. If anything, I would have made him say "We're gonna be pals for life" as soon as Zekrom was caught.

never finished Gen. 2 ZeekSlider's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Should the silent protaginist of the games talk and have a personality?

I dialouge tree with options based on your character's gender, which starter they picked, which Pokemon are in the active party at the time of the conversation, and how experianced those Pokemon are.

So something like Boy + Fire Starter + No other Pokemon in active party + New Game = very hot-headed/brash conversation options. But Girl + Fire Starter = Tomboy conversation options.

Later on in the game, Someting like Boy + Water Starter + (1 Electic + 1 Ground + 1 Grass/Poison + 1 Dark + 1 Psychic + 1 Flying/Normal) + 8 Badges = Blunt, Relax, Smart, Snide, and Nuetral comments to pick from that all imply a level of experiance associated with having 8 badges.

On second thought, that's too complicated...

Well like most people here are saying, the best way to feel you are a part of the game is to actually keep the protagonist silent, so you feel like you're the main character, instead of controlling a different character with a different pesonality(Resulting in the feeling of detachment from the game). So I think of my own dialogue in my head.

Don't Know About My Ensign Epic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    I dialouge tree with options based on your character's gender, which starter they picked, which Pokemon are in the active party at the time of the conversation, and how experianced those Pokemon are.

So something like Boy + Fire Starter + No other Pokemon in active party + New Game = very hot-headed/brash conversation options. But Girl + Fire Starter = Tomboy conversation options.

Later on in the game, Someting like Boy + Water Starter + (1 Electic + 1 Ground + 1 Grass/Poison + 1 Dark + 1 Psychic + 1 Flying/Normal) + 8 Badges = Blunt, Relax, Smart, Snide, and Nuetral comments to pick from that all imply a level of experiance associated with having 8 badges.

I would not really like that because it's just making generalizations based on type which may or may not be true for the person playing. I'm not too hot-headed and I love the Fire Type.

Blog Entries

Follow Arc Blader on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post

Seems not only too complicated, but also waaaaay too general. It's based upon stereotypes associated with the individual types.

Fairy Queen Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

I find the silence to be a shut out, actually. The fact that I never talk in-game makes me feel like I'm just a pawn on the sidelines looking in. I'd prefer a range of dialogue options, but I don't think this series needs to change. While I feel less involved when my character is silent, I recognise that it's a vital part of the experience for others. I just can't take myself seriously naming the character after myself beyond a suitable nickname or acting like I'm that little character on the screen - and believe me, I'm a pretty quirky girl.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ Come join the conversation in the Entertainment, Inc. General Chat Thread!~

I prefer a lack of dialogue for the protagonist. It lets you imagine him saying whatever you want to say. Anything.
    Poptarts and milk. :3 Yummm.
    Diamond FC is: 1033-9547-5106, use for all trades and battles in gen IV.
    White FC is: 1592-4476-9385, all trades for gen V.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234