Should the silent protaginist of the games talk and have a personality? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should the silent protaginist of the games talk and have a personality?

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Should the silent protaginist of the games talk and have a personality?

They should never talk. Because I talk when playing.

NPC: "I lost my hotel key."
    Me: "Of course you did, you're blond."

Oak: "How many Pokémon did you catch?"
    Me: "What do you think I came to show you the Pokédex for?!"

Yes... I do talk out loud to my Pokémon games. Make myself laughs... :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Should the silent protaginist of the games talk and have a personality?

HELL no. Can you imagine.

Pokemon Champion- You are the new champion.

Me: No shit, your Pokemon suck.

Post Thanks / Like

The advantages of having a silent protagonist is that it's a blank slate and this allows the player to effectively do what he/she wants. In the case of Pokémon, it depends on the final team of monsters the player has under his/her control.

If the player character was given a distinct characterization, it wouldn't be fair to people who happen to not like the chosen personality.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure if the character could talk and have a distinct personality, people will still play the games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
    I'm pretty sure if the character could talk and have a distinct personality, people will still play the games.
    Play the game maybe, like the character they're playing? It wouldn't be the same.

At least with a silent protagonist, the freedom is there to put whatever thought you might think the player character is having at the moment.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow hurristat On Twitter
    Follow hurristat on Tumblr

Nah, I don't think so. The silence of the protagonist allows us to live through them vicariously.

content reblog tumblr | dumb reblog tumblr | if youre able to figure out like seven or eight of these characters than we are going to be friends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Only when they appear as an NPC.

Insert Witty Title Here Azure Butterfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would like a system where you'd pick from the general Yes/No questions, but expanded. Sort of like how some games (I'm pretty sure the DS Zelda games did this) would give you two options meaning Yes/No but worded differently. One of my favorite games had a system where, when talking to people about plot related things, you would have three options - a 'positive' (nice) one, a 'negative' (mean) one, and a completely insane third option. XD

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your question, No they should not.
    You (the player) are the voice. You decide what to do and when to do it. It's like Gordon Freeman in Half-Life 2. The characters talk to you but Gordon never responds because you are Gordon Freeman. I don't know about you all, but in Half-Life 2 and most pokemon games when I played them for the first times I've often found myself answering back to the characters who where talking to me. Whether in my head or actually out loud. Yes I know I am crazy, but it just kinda happens.

3DS Friend Code- 2595-1082-4370-
    My Friend Safari is Ghost with Pumpkaboo, Lampent, and Golurk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Arc Blader on Tumblr

The protagonist MUST remain silent and devoid of personality, for the same reason that Link must. If they were given a voice and personality, it would cause the gameplay to feel less personal. Besides, they've kept it like this for so long. I'm not usually one to use the "this is the way we've always done it" argument, but there are some things you just can't change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No, unlessin your voice can go through the microphone and come through as the player talking. That'd be grate wouldnt it?

The only real silent nintendo protagonist would be Mario IMO except for his catch phrases like "Lets-a-go"

Post Thanks / Like

Silent is fine, however, custom battle sayings you could type in (Like PBR) would be cool.

"Go Go, -pokemon-, Go!"
    "Come back ehere, -pokemon-"
    "We did it, -pokemon!"
    Ect.

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No I think there silent so you can fit your personality into the protaginist.

Well they do talk kinda thought as you can answer yes/no in games to some questions and sometimes there things like quizs where you have to give the answers.

Mystery in another region Koukoubean's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Follow Koukoubean on Tumblr

I think it's fine the way it is; making the protagonist remain silent. It allows for more imagination when telling the experience afterwards, especially for those who draw comics or write fanfiction about their in-game journey. And for parodies, of course. The dialogue is just giving you a guideline of how the other characters act more or less.

Were they to appear as NPCs, they should have the personality of when they act as rivals/pseudo-rivals. I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think that the protagonist should remain silent. Mainly because I don't think the programmers would be able to give me a protagonist I would like.
    Is there anything worse than being all alone in the night?

Yes... being all alone in a crowd.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast