Should the silent protaginist of the games talk and have a personality?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the silent protaginist of the games talk and have a personality?

Blog Entries

Default Should the silent protaginist of the games talk and have a personality?

One thing that bugs me about the Pokemon RPG games is that your character never talks. At all. So it makes me wonder as to whether your character should talk and at least show a personality or not.

What do you think?

P.S. I know that your character talks in the Mystery Dungeon games but I'm talking about the games where you're a trainer.

Blog Entries
    Add Mister Insufferable on Facebook
    Follow Mister Insufferable on Tumblr

Default Re: Should the silent protaginist of the games talk and have a personality?

I think it would be hard, as the player is supposed to be you. In the anime and such, I agree, but In the games, the player has the right to remain silent.

Call me Derry, Dermodio, Modio or Sir. Actually, scratch the first 3.
    Formally one of the best dag-nab roleplayers on this website yo.
    Winner of the 2011 Winter RPG Awards for Best Academy RP (Ampiomach Academy),
    Best Character in a Pokemon RP and Best GM in a Pokemon Roleplay

Help me complete the Pokedex with Shinies!
    Friend Code- 3067-5323-3960

Default Re: Should the silent protaginist of the games talk and have a personality?

It'd be cool if you had options of what to say. But I agree with the above, the protagonist is supposed to be you. If you want your character to talk, make him/her say whatever witty things pop into your head.
    Back, and better than ever! :D

Blog Entries
    Add Mister Insufferable on Facebook
    Follow Mister Insufferable on Tumblr

If the games were more advanced, you could probably typ it in, and if there was a typo the one your talking to says 2Sorry, didn't quite catch that?"

Call me Derry, Dermodio, Modio or Sir. Actually, scratch the first 3.
    Formally one of the best dag-nab roleplayers on this website yo.
    Winner of the 2011 Winter RPG Awards for Best Academy RP (Ampiomach Academy),
    Best Character in a Pokemon RP and Best GM in a Pokemon Roleplay

Help me complete the Pokedex with Shinies!
    Friend Code- 3067-5323-3960

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Nah, it just wouldn't be the same

I prefer them to be an avatar of myself (which makes no sense when I'm playing the girls...wait...what?)

says "yeah" a lot. Lawnmowergirl's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dialogue trees would be cool as a way of having the protagonist talk, but aren't really necessary in an RPG series like Pokemon.

Morpheus♥Orange♥Contest♥HeatTag♥Wishful♥Rocket

deviantart|photobucket|pixiv|youtube|fanfiction|tumblr|shipping

Grass/Dragon:How awesome. Shiny_Hydreigon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmowergirl View Post
    Dialogue trees would be cool as a way of having the protagonist talk, but aren't really necessary in an RPG series like Pokemon.
    Not necessary but nevertheless cool.

追放されたバカ

No. That tiny little character is supposed to be you. He has my personality. In my imagination he talks, because it is me talking. I pretend I am him, I put myself in his shoes, and add the dialogue in my head.

It's great fun as well if you have an Action Replay like I do, to manipulate events to make your own story.

As it was said earlier, the protagonist is supposed to be you. A silent hero is usually easier to identify with, and the games would need stronger stories if they were to have talking protagonists. For example, another Nintendo series, Star Fox has a talking protagonist, Fox McCloud, but that series has a much more involving story and each character has a complicated background. Fox can only be identified with when you watch his story unfolding and feel his emotions during his interactions with other characters. In a game like the Legend of Zelda (another Nintendo series, if that wasn't obvious) however, though there is a very strong story, the emphasis is not on the characters and events, but on you, the player and your actions. Link never talks, and most players would probably like it to stay that way. Even in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, the protagonist never actually talks, but thinks generic thoughts, usually as questions for the player to answer in his or her own mind. It was YOU who was turned into a Pokemon, not some random Japanese kid who you control. The Pokemon series has never had talking protagonists, and I don't think it will ever need one.
    "The only thing we learn from history is that we never learn from history."
    -Hegel

Do you play Terraria, the Minecraft-Zelda-Metroid hybrid? If you do, then join!

Blog Entries

I was basically gonna say the same thing others have. The player character is supposed to be you so you have to use your imagination to imagine what your character is saying. But technically you can count the Yes or No responses as your character talking.

Look Forward, Team Rocket!

Also I claim Piplup in the Claim a Pokemon thread =)

War
    Blog Entries

The games wouldn't be that funny if the protagonist talked.

Agreeing with everyone else. Like Zelda games, I feel like I have a connection to the protagonist if he/she is silent cuz it's supposed to a representation of myself. It's my adventure, my pokemon, etc. I am the protagonist (he has my name after all...)
    claims: Surfing Pikachu, Color Change, Pidgeotto, Johanna (<3)

The game would be messed up if you could type stuff because if:
    Cyrus: I will build a new world
    (Insert name here): $h*t...... Want pancakes, Lil Wayne?
    99 % of the food you eat has previously been crapped on by aliens.

Blog Entries

Everytime I play Pokémon, I feel conected with the protagonist, because he doesn't talk and I'm a little bit like that, I usually don't talk a lot.

‎"I'm your new God. A better one. So you will bow down, profess your love unto Me, Your Lord. Or I shall destroy you."

Winged man prefers night Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SamPilgrim View Post
    Everytime I play Pokémon, I feel conected with the protagonist, because he doesn't talk and I'm a little bit like that, I usually don't talk a lot.
    Same here. A non-talking player is a part of Pokémon games' "magic".

Me verás volar por la ciudad de la furia...
    - Pokémon games are like boobs; designed for children, but more enjoyed by adults. (Someone on twitter)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast