Should natures, or the stat-change concept, get a overhaul?

Thread: Should natures, or the stat-change concept, get a overhaul?

Default Should natures, or the stat-change concept, get a overhaul?

Competively speaking, natures are a great addition to the series. It allows people to customize their pokemon's stat to fit their purpose much better.

However, ingame, I have many gripes with this system. It's annoying that you need to get a bit lucky to have a nature that doesn't get in a pokemon's way. Caught a Abra? Oh, wait, it's adamant, and as a result, it isn't nearly as useful as a normal abra would be.
    For normal pokemon, this can be a little annoying, but you always are able to overcome it with enough patience. However, playing soulsilver, both my lugia and raikou got natures that nerfed their best stats in favor of much less imporant ones. Once you save, this is permanent. Synchronize helps, but even then, it's a 50 % percent chance on a pokemon that could take a good while to capture.

For getting a competive pokemon, you either need a everstone, or it's heavily luck based. Even with a everstone it takes some setup.

The idea is good. But the random execution of it annoys me to no end.
    Is there any possiblity of the system being less random, or the concept being transferred to something non-random?

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Should natures, or the stat-change concept, get a overhaul?

All my runners on HeartGold were neutral. FML.

I'd like it if they made some natures more common for certain Pokémon, such as Lonely Nature for Cubone and Naughty for Mankey/Primeape and Rash for Mewtwo. Not game-breaking as in desired natures, but it matches the personalities portrayed in the anime and games. Also, they'd INCREASE a desired stat, but decrease one that is least desirable, so it can still have the skill aspect to it.

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

I just think they should create an item that'll pass over abilities when breeding. Say you have a perfect nature/IV pokémon, but it's the wrong nature, that just sucks.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

1. The creators won't be changing the game just because of a fan-based metagame.
    2. If they overhaul natures and stats, say goodbye to backwards compatibility, just like with RS.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulweaver On Twitter Add Soulweaver on Facebook Add Soulweaver on Google+
    Follow Soulweaver on Tumblr Visit Soulweaver's Youtube Channel

I see the system getting an overhaul, but not in Gen V. Maybe some time in the future.

Former staff member · X Pokédex status (incl. foreign dexes) · Bank Living Dex status · 3DS FC: 4699 6589 8963

Blog Entries

Fuck no. Never. The current system is quite great.

But I quite like Ryu Shoji's common-nature idea.

Blog Entries

No, not until we get a new system. I'd be happy with new natures when we get that new system though. :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakesh! View Post
    2. If they overhaul natures and stats, say goodbye to backwards compatibility, just like with RS.
    Is that actually accurate anymore?

What I mean is, couldn't they (the programmers) create a specific set of data for 1-4 gen Pokemon that actually allows it to be traded to the 4th gen games but then also create a specific set of data for just the 5th or later gen games?

Oh keep in mind the 4th gen data would be "locked" in the 5th gen games, only being "unlocked" when trading to a 4th gen games. So for example in the 5th gen Ghastly has "Geiger Counter" ability, however there's secret "locked" data for a levitate ghastly so it's compatible with the 4th gen games

Or if it can't be done, which would mean the extra 5th gen data would mess up the 4th gen games (even ignoring the possibility that it could be deleted in the process of trading; meaning that before the trade (after confirmation), the data of the Pokemon is being rewritten )....or it would just be too complicated.

But ignoring that is it technically possible?

Blog Entries

That's not true at all.
    The reason for the removal of compatibility was because they changed the coding, not editing the system.

Also, we have that, to a less drastic degree. Many Pokemon got 'Move' and 'Nature' updates entering Gen IV, so while reverse compatibility in a going back sense went out the window, we were still able to bring things forward.

Anyway. I think the way they have natures now is really tedious, but to be honest, I'm not sure what could be done that wouldn't take away from end of the spectrum. If anything, I think it should be more elaborate. Not sure how, but a lot of people I know that 'play casually' don't like the Natures, while it is a staple in the Competitive world. I think, if they did a bit more with Natures flavour wise, it wouldn't be such an annoyance.

In short, the technical aspect should be left alone, but adding something like they did when they added traits would be neat.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Is that actually accurate anymore?

What I mean is, couldn't they (the programmers) create a specific set of data for 1-4 gen Pokemon that actually allows it to be traded to the 4th gen games but then also create a specific set of data for just the 5th or later gen games?

Oh keep in mind the 4th gen data would be "locked" in the 5th gen games, only being "unlocked" when trading to a 4th gen games. So for example in the 5th gen Ghastly has "Geiger Counter" ability, however there's secret "locked" data for a levitate ghastly so it's compatible with the 4th gen games

Or if it can't be done, which would mean the extra 5th gen data would mess up the 4th gen games (even ignoring the possibility that it could be deleted in the process of trading; meaning that before the trade (after confirmation), the data of the Pokemon is being rewritten )....or it would just be too complicated.

But ignoring that is it technically possible?
    If they went about it carefully, I suppose they could make them compatible. However, that would require about twice the coding needed and the current precedent is that upon changing up stats, IV's, natures, and whatnot we lose compatibility.

I for one am fine with that though.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dragonite24 View Post
    However, ingame
    Let me stop you there and finish your sentence.

"However, ingame natures don't really make a difference"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post
    Let me stop you there and finish your sentence.

"However, ingame natures don't really make a difference"
    If you are breeding to create a certain pokemon for the metagame, yeah, they do.

Blog Entries

If you are breeding to create a certain pokemon for the metagame, yeah, they do.
    I said ingame, as in "ingame battles" not competitive play.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post
    I said ingame, as in "ingame battles" not competitive play.
    Oh, got it. Sorry for the confusion.

Blog Entries

1. The creators won't be changing the game just because of a fan-based metagame.
    This. Plus, we don't need more confusion and stuff. It's bad enough to match up basic stats and natures and stuff as it is. And I don't want to be forced to learn the new ones. xD

A lone detective takes it upon himself to solve the murder of a young woman, willingly diving into the dangerous web of conspiracies weaved by the feuding mafia families. But after the truth is uncovered, will that city of sin be the same ever again?