Should GameFreak start listening to fan suggestions?

View Poll Results: Should GF start listening to fan suggestions?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 11.84%
  • No

28 36.84%
  • Don't know

0 0%
  • Depends on the ideas

39 51.32%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Should GameFreak start listening to fan suggestions?

Default Should GameFreak start listening to fan suggestions?

(not sure if this is the right forum hehe but it does concern videogames)

As the topic says, do you think GF should start listening to fans and their suggestions? What do you think is the likeliness of that happening, and to what extent? What would be the pros and cons of that happening?

More specific questions to consider:
    -> Should GF adopt modified fan-made Pokemon and/or fan ideas for items and such?
    -> Should GF hold polls to see what the fans would like to decide what they should do next? For example - a location to base a new region on?
    -> How exactly would GF do this? By hosting a forum or polls on the Pokemon website, perhaps?
    And anything else you'd like to add.

I personally think that they shouldn't, and it's not likely to happen for the next two or three generations. Eventually they might start doing it, just not in the near future. While the fandom brings up a good idea every now and then, a lot of ideas - especially the ones I see on Youtube - are rather ridiculous. Pokemon is what GameFreak does best - and I don't think anyone else could do it better.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Should GameFreak start listening to fan suggestions?

Absolutely not. I seriously question the level of taste of some of the fandom. Especially with the constant requests for MMOs and what not.
    Owain, Mijzelffan, Chiss and 1 others like this.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

I think it depends on the ideas. Some ideas for the games are good, but others could change the game too much or make it too difficult. It would be up to Game Freak to decide what ideas were ok.
    Rex Kamex likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow MegaCharr On Twitter
    Visit MegaCharr's Youtube Channel

It kind of depends on what the idea it...

You dont want somthing that so far off from the core forumla that the magic dies,good example is that giving Pikachu a shotgun and turning Pokemon into a shooter game...Dont want that do ya?

Or instead,you want something like exploration of the Pokemon world or maybe a new take on a old battle system like what im trying to do.......Something that you know works with the core formula.
    Rex Kamex likes this.

CottonSheepFairy 33Whimsicott33's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh?

Woah. So I suppose contests could be one way GF could accept suggestions.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wonder how was the Draco Meteor contest held though, as I would expect like hundreds of thousands entries... Same with setting up a future contest, because if that's done internationally it'd get a ridiculous number of entries, and even if Japan-only it'd still be a lot.

I really wonder how super popular franchises could ever hold contests like these at all.
    Last edited by Infinity Mk-II; 25th February 2013 at 03:21 AM. Reason: nevermind, the spinarak thing is bogus

[/overexposition]

is back for 2014 S.S. Shadow Minun's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow S.S. Shadow Minun On Twitter Add S.S. Shadow Minun on Facebook
    Visit S.S. Shadow Minun's Youtube Channel

Depending on some factors, Game Freak might listen the fans' suggestions. But this could be hardly a chance due to many factors that restrict this way.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

It really depends because while some ideas are outrageous and unacceptable, some are important and worth including in the game. GF had been releasing pokemon games for over 15 years, and there are fans who have played every single generation up till now - thus, fans of pokemon for over 15 years. For people who have been fans of the games for a long time, they will probably know which part the games need to improve, which feature of the games had been popular enough to consider a come-back, or any ideas that might further contribute to the games. Of course, NOT ALL ideas are acceptable, but GF surely won't be able to completely ignore or disregard what the long-time fans like about their games.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

I hope not, because the fandom has bad taste. I don't see a point in more graphic violence because more violence and darker tones does not a good game make. I would loathe such a series where Pokemon rip each other to bloody ribbons. I don't see a point in heavy romance either, it's the fantasy and family-like demeanor of this game that makes it enjoyable for me with some interesting concepts that make it unique. If I want a gore game I would go play one of those first person shooters on the PS3 or XBOX 360. Now more maturity could be good in implemented well.(The function of Poke Balls, Pokemon Egg concept, a little more exposition on problems of being a prodigy from a young age, which quite a few Poke-characters are, like N or Iris.)
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 25th February 2013 at 10:27 AM.
    Owain likes this.

Blog Entries

Please, no. A lot of the ideas I see fans putting forth are... questionable.

Also, if they were to do this, it'd probably only be open to fans in japan or at least fans who can speak japanese, cutting the majority of us out.

Follow Fandango on Tumblr

They should start taking fan ideas in to account. Black & White is the first real step to a true Pokémon sequel. And, X/Y might deliver that, but dang.

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

It depends on the person and what kind of ideas they have, but I don't think they'd do it anyway.
    Rex Kamex likes this.

Blog Entries

They should. The fandom is quite big, and because there are so many people interested in the welfare and progress of the series, there's bound to be a lot of discussion, and discussion always births ideas. Of course, lots of discussion produces lots of ideas. With so many ideas, surely some of them are worth listening to, or considering?

I'm not saying that the fans should be fully integrated into the creative process or whatever, just that they should at least know what we're thinking of. The question was should GF start listening to fan suggestions, and yes, they should: meaning, they shouldn't be deaf. It's entirely up to them which suggestions they're going to consider.
    Yato, SimH5, MegaCharr and 1 others like this.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfyre View Post
    The question was should GF start listening to fan suggestions, and yes, they should: meaning, they shouldn't be deaf. It's entirely up to them which suggestions they're going to consider.
    Best thing ever said.

Those people who buy their products have opinions on the games, and it might be a good idea to listen to them. Whether they take it into consideration is up to them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast