Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: The Shiny Encounters Thread

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default The Shiny Encounters Thread

So, we had a lot of threads discussing the various different methods of obtaining Shiny Pokémon; those sparkly little critters that only bother to show up once in a blue moon. So it was decided to put it all in one nice little package!

In this thread, you may discuss your encounters with shiny Pokémon as long as the following rules are followed:

1) Generation IV/V Only (So Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver/Black/White only).
    2) If you are attempting to hunt down a particular shiny, don't update every day with how you haven't obtained your target yet; just one post to state your goal, and then another when it's done will be enough (In fact, that could be fun in timing how long it took you!)
    3) Pokémon that are set to always be shiny don't count. This includes (but isn't limited to):
    - The Red Gyarados found at Lake of Rage in HGSS.
    - The Pikachu-Coloured Pichu.
    - The Crown/Winter 2011 events for Raikou, Entei and Suicune.
    - The VGC 2009 Milotic and 2010 Eevee.
    - The upcoming Hydreigon and Golurk Wi-Fi Events.

Everyone who plays the games / attended the event got them, so we don't need people posting when they obtain them. However, if it's a Pokémon of the same species encountered in a different way (for example, fishing up a Red Gyarados) than that's fine, as long as you say so.
    4) No updating about RNG attempts. It's somewhat similar to the last rule, where you try to make a Pokémon have a 100% chance of being shiny. It's not fun when someone posts over and over again when they RNG a Pokémon.
    5) This isn't a place to fondly remember past shinies; you can do that in the First Shiny - How? When? Where? thread.
    6) You can discuss shiny Pokémon that you have encountered that have escaped from you, as hopefully, that won't happen very often.

Now, in the Pokémon games, there are numerous ways to encounter these Pokémon in which this thread is for discussing, for example:

Random Encounter:
    When you're in grass, exploring a cave or sailing along the sea, there is a 1 in 8192 chance that a Pokémon will appear with that magical sparkle (that does nothing except make it look pretty). These are usually pretty rare events (the chance is like getting a dice with 8192 sides, rolling it, and hoping for a single number - or rolling a 65536 sided die and hoping for 8 numbers if you want to get technical).

Breeding:
    Another way of obtaining shiny Pokémon. This method has the same chance as the previously mentioned method, but is based around hatching eggs rather than finding the Pokémon in the wild. It's important to note that a Pokémon's characteristics (Nature, IV, Shinyness or lack off) is determined when you collect the egg, so you can either hatch a multiple eggs, or soft reset before you collect it (more on Soft Resetting in a bit).

Masuda Method:
    This method, named after Junichi Masuda, the Director of the Board at Game Freak (the company that makes the main series Pokémon games), after Masuda revealed the method on his "Hidden Power" blog. Basically, when breeding Pokémon that originate from different language games (for example, a Japanese Pikachu with an English Pikachu) the chances of hatching a Shiny Pichu drops to 1 in 2048 - by three quarters! (In Generation IV), and to 1 in 1366 in Generation V!

However, whether the Masuda method works depends on the language of the game, not the region. Therefore, an American Pikachu breeding with a British Pikachu would still have the 1 in 8192 odds; as would be if one of those Pikachu was breeding with an Australian one.

Note: This does not work with foreign Pokémon obtained in-game, such as Meister's Foppa (Magikarp) and Lt. Surge's Volty (Pikachu). Also, in Generation IV, the everstone can't be used to pass on nature.

Soft Reset:
    Same odds as the previous two, but this one revolves around stationary Pokémon (be they legendaries, or one-off Pokémon like the Telepathy Musharna). Basically, a player saves in front of said Pokémon, then initiates a battle. If the Pokémon isn't shiny, they hold a button combination (L+R+Start+Select on the DS systems; or by lightly touching the power button on DSi/XL systems) to restart the game without a need to reboot the entire system, then they try again...and again...and again (etc).

Note: Victini, Reshiram and Zekrom are programmed to never be shiny.

PokéRadar: (Also known as "Chaining")
    This method is exclusive to the Diamond, Pearl and Platinum versions. When a Pokémon is caught or knocked out when encountered using the "PokéRadar" key item, the device will go off once more - with the patches that shake having a higher chance of containing the same Pokémon that started the chain (the patch furthest away from the original patch have a higher chance of having the same Pokémon). The only catch is that a player must not encounter any Pokémon just by walking through non-wiggling grass, only by walking into the grass that shakes. As a chain grows, the chance of encountering a shiny Pokémon (which have their own special patch animation) increases.

So yeah, capture us with your stories of Shiny encounters!
    Last edited by Joshawott; 28th June 2011 at 02:22 PM.
    Ash'sBestBuddy89 likes this.

Default Re: The Shiny Encounters Thread

Just the other day I wad going to RNG a shiny Woobat when I ran into a random one. That saved me a couple hours. I named it Sparkles and he is my Sparkles :3

Now I'm planning for a Frillish random shiny encounter. :D

Thanks to King of Jesus (Neodark) for the banner!

Ein
    Blog Entries

Follow Ein on Tumblr

I encountered a shiny Ponyta in SoulSilver near Victory Road when I was training my Luxio. I managed to catch it. I'm never going to evolve it because I really don't like the colour scheme of a shiny Rapidash.

I got a shiny Rotom from a trade. He's only level 1, but I don't really know what to do with him, so when I can I'm going to transfer him as well as some of my valuable pokemon over to White.

I've got a Japanese Bulbasaur, Eevee and Chikorita. I might try and Masuda Method with those three.
    White FC: Blair 4126 8383 6387

My claims: Joltik, Run Away, Snag Ball, Luck Incense, Shadow Rush.

Video Games Modegator GatoRage's Avatar Moderator
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Follow GatoRage on Tumblr

I am hoping to encounter any kind of shiny Pokemon and successfully catching it, since I have never caught a shiny.
    I'll update when I finally manage to get one. Let's see how long it takes.

I encountered & caught a shiny Swablu on Route 210 in Platinum. It was a pain in the ass battle due to fog & my team already on the brink of death. Damn swablu kept breaking out of everything, even Ultra balls! O_O but I managed to nab the golden bird in a great ball. I evolved her & clone her & send her to every version as she's usually my main flier :3 she has a Hasty nature which is good so she'll be speedy & I can bulk her defense back up with Cotton Guard so its all good.

In SS I encountered a shiny Ledyba on Route 31 while hatching eggs. I caught her even though I'm never gonna use her. Though I may use her if I ever decide to make a NU team since she has a Gentle nature & 31 IVs in Sp. Def. B]

In HG I encountered a shiny Stantler on Route 37 while training my bovine (Miltank & Tauros). This encounter was strange in that a few minutes before I encountered the green deer, I was looking at the shiny sprites of early Johto 'mons & I remember remarking on green Stantler, saying how ugly it is, next thing I know I'm in a battle with one XD he put up a tough fight cuz you know, hypnosis hax & flinch hax =.= so I just said screw it & started chuckin balls at it. I caught him needless to say. I've cloned him & transported him to the 2 locales of Unova. Found out from the the guy in the subway that he has perfect IVs in Sp. Att. so I'm definitely using him on many future teams (& his color has grown on me XD)

as for Gen. V I haven't encountered a shiny yet but I'm expecting at least one in both version before summer ends as I've encountered at least one shiny in every game since Gen. III, usually during the main adventure; idc what 'mon it is either, I would actually like to hatch a shiny instead of encountering one since I never hatched a shiny before, & hopefully if i do it'll be Zorua or Larvesta
    claims: Surfing Pikachu, Color Change, Pidgeotto, Johanna (<3)

Blog Entries

I've never encountered a random wild shiny. I wish I could some day, I'm becoming kinda obsessed with it. Like when I don't use repels because "I might find a shiny".

I'm getting platinum soon and then I'm definitely going to chain something.

I've got one shiny though, a Dewott I hatched. I wasn't trying to hatch a shiny, I just had a Japanese Dewott and my Ditto in the daycare and... Yeah. It's got sucky IVs though, but I still EV trained him.

Blog Entries

Follow Jaden on Tumblr Visit Jaden's Youtube Channel

I've only encountered two shinies; a Farfetch'd in SoulSilver, which I traded away, and a Karrablast a couple days ago in White.

I have to say, I have never caught or seen a shiny. But I hope my first is a Zorua, 'cause it looks so awesome

Blog Entries

I've only encountered 1 shiny legitimately. It was a shiny Geodude at Mt. Coronet in Diamond.
    My GPX+
    My 3DS FC is 5412-9933-2792.
    DON'T
    like my posts. It just annoys me.

Link animated Avatar FTW! Shuckle's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I once encountered a shiny Stunky in my diamond. I was just about the press Run until I saw sparkles on it. it was my first shiny! I caught it in a pokeball to match it's color. But then one day, when I turned on my Diamond version, the game says that it was corrupted and damaged so it deleted my save file. Oh well, i'll eventually learn how to RNG and try to get another shiny stunky. Then I got pearl version, but no luck with any shinies yet.
    3DS Friend Code 1607 - 2458 - 9938

IGN: Jason

Shiny Value: 543

Friend Safari: Fire
    Growlithe, Slugma, and Ninetales.

Master of all dragons Captain Draco's Avatar

A while back I encountered a shiny Oddish at 1 am in Ilex forest.
    Too bad he's gone now.

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

What does RNG mean?

And I hope I get a new shiny soon. Hopefully a starter, but I'm not picky. I know there are people who are yet to get one so I count myself lucky :D

I'm currently trying to hatch a shiny Vulpix via Masuda method. I've hatched only 180 eggs so far.

Blog Entries

Follow hurristat on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    What does RNG mean?
    Random Number Generator. There are ways to manipulate it to give you a shiny pokemon.

When I was Ev training my gligar in the Oreburgh Mine of Diamond i found a wild shiny geodude. I still have it.
    We meet again.... for the very first time.

Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast