Role of Genetics - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Role of Genetics

Blog Entries

Default Re: Role of Genetics

No, no more Mew and Mewtwo plots, please. They've been overdone as it is. While they certainly would fit the theme, especially Mewtwo, I'd rather they just be regular legendaries encountered at the post end game. Maybe some villain NPCs will be searching for them or whatever, but I'd rather they don't have a big role in the plot. Besides, Mew would probably just be limited to being an event Pokemon as it has always has been.
    Baka-kun likes this.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

I don't think that putting a double helix in the logo is definitive proof that there will be a genetics theme. Really, genetics has been a running theme of the entire series, and the gen1 games had genetics as a primary thematic focus. I don't think they'll do the same theme twice.

I do think that the cartesian dimensions as motifs for the legendaries is a possibility, though. A Z pokemon seems like the logical conclusion of X and Y pokemon. Although I don't know if that's going to be a story focus so much as an in-joke referring to the jump to 3D.

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Akai View Post
    No, no more Mew and Mewtwo plots, please. They've been overdone as it is. While they certainly would fit the theme, especially Mewtwo, I'd rather they just be regular legendaries encountered at the post end game. Maybe some villain NPCs will be searching for them or whatever, but I'd rather they don't have a big role in the plot. Besides, Mew would probably just be limited to being an event Pokemon as it has always has been.
    but they've never had a mewtwo plot before in a game. Just Mewtwo in Cerulean Cave and Mew as an event.

I think a true (even if minor part of) plot with them would go great in the games.
    Owain likes this.

Top game series: Pokémon, Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman Arkham, Ace Combat, Forza, GTA, Sly Cooper, etc

As far as I'm aware there have only been two canon plots involving Mewtwo (not counting his movies)--the laboratory on Cinnabar Island and the much more minor plot of him having to be guarded because his power is so strong. I don't think Mew has been mentioned in non-event gameplay at all so far except in the journal entries (though don't hold me to that). Like I said earlier, I doubt either would make a true appearance, but they could be mentioned by the Pokemon Professor or the villainous team leader.
    The only other thing I wonder about is, if our theories are right and it is based on genetics, why the X Legendary is based on a stag, a male version of an animal. I know they have an X chromosome too, but it would make more sense if Xerneas was a hind or some other recognizably female animal.
    But the Legendaries could be inverted, just as Reshiram and Zekrom were, in which case I am completely fulfilled.
    "N's heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence." ---Concordia

Blog Entries

I don't see Mew/Mewtwo having a significant effect on the plot. While it's true that they would fit a genetics-themed game well, I think it's better for them to just use one of the new pokémon. It just doesn't seem wise: you're introducing a new generation, and it's looking to shake things up, and you emphasize the presence of pokémon from 16 (?) years ago? They'll probably be there, but I can only see them as a sort of post-game quest or sidequest at most. Or a passing mention.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Sometimes I draw things. Finicky Fennekin's Avatar

I'm hoping that an emphasis on genetics may lead to more Pokémon with different formes, split-evolutions, and gender differences.

I always liked the idea of the two Nidoran families - technically the same 'mon, but drastically different because of their genders. I'd love to see a few more lines like that - not just aesthetic changes between genders of Pokémon, but differences in stats, abilities and movesets as well. (i.e a lion 'mon where the female has higher attack stats, while the male has higher defenses, and moves to fit each)

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy Whiplash
    I don't think that putting a double helix in the logo is definitive proof that there will be a genetics theme. Really, genetics has been a running theme of the entire series, and the gen1 games had genetics as a primary thematic focus. I don't think they'll do the same theme twice.
    I don't think they'd put a helix in the logo just for shits and giggles, though. You never do anything arbitrary with design - especially not in a design as important as a logo! The logo will represent the game - think of how HGSS had a "heart" and a "soul" made out of each game's respective box legendary.

The helix is definitely there for a reason. The exact specifics of how it'll tie in with the plot and with the games as a whole... I'm not sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyDragonair
    The only other thing I wonder about is, if our theories are right and it is based on genetics, why the X Legendary is based on a stag, a male version of an animal. I know they have an X chromosome too, but it would make more sense if Xerneas was a hind or some other recognizably female animal.
    But the Legendaries could be inverted, just as Reshiram and Zekrom were, in which case I am completely fulfilled.
    Has anything official specifically called Xerneas a "stag"? Because female reindeer do have antlers, though Xerneas doesn't seem to resemble a reindeer all that much...

Gendered legendaries would be cool, and would fit a "genetics" theme, but I get the feeling we'll get genderless legends again this gen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sonic10158 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Akai View Post
    but they've never had a mewtwo plot before in a game. Just Mewtwo in Cerulean Cave and Mew as an event.

I think a true (even if minor part of) plot with them would go great in the games.
    Yes, I know that.

But it's been overdone in the anime and numerous manga adaptions. Those may not be canon to the games, but I still think we have enough as it is.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

When I predicted the return of Mewtwo and/or Mew, I meant they would show up briefly and then like smash something or, even better, in a flashback!

I also don't think that the legendaries will be gender specific because neither look very feminine.

Blog Entries

I really want Mewtwo and Mew being mentioned at least, perhaps in conjunction with Genesect. Like, as someone is speaking about Genesect they're reminded of the story of Mewtwo and Mew, or something. Though I wouldn't mind if the Mew duo were more involved in some part of some plot. If they've made stories about them in the anime and manga, why can't they do it in the games?

Claims: Dialga | Multitype | Judgment | Adamant Orb | Draco Plate

El_
    Blog Entries

Of course Mew/Mewtwo don't have to be apart of the "main" plot, the one that ends with or after in BW's case the Elite 4 and Champion, but theres no reason they can't be included in a post game plot with maybe a reference or two in the main plot by a NPC.

If they can toss around Sinnoh legends in BW2, then I'm sure they can figure something out thats better done with genetic Pokemon like Mew/Mewtwo & Genesect in X & Y.

N set by smalllady
    Ideals/Truth

Very nice theories.

Though it might or might not be tied to genetics, has anyone thought that there is another specific reason why they would call the games X & Y? Assuming we are getting Z, and not two games like black 2 and white 2... Don't you think it would be because they could be ending it? Considering it is at the end of the alphabet. I know it doesn't seem possible, but it could be a possibility. There's only so many Pokemon you can make and only so much of the world left before it gets too much for even the company.

Or maybe... It could be something else. Like going out to a new world with more Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyDragonair View Post
    As far as I'm aware there have only been two canon plots involving Mewtwo (not counting his movies)--the laboratory on Cinnabar Island and the much more minor plot of him having to be guarded because his power is so strong. I don't think Mew has been mentioned in non-event gameplay at all so far except in the journal entries (though don't hold me to that). Like I said earlier, I doubt either would make a true appearance, but they could be mentioned by the Pokemon Professor or the villainous team leader.
    Another good question is why the Y legendary is a bird. Birds don't have X and Y chromosomes.

Forever Lacking Rhythm Konoko Hasano's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy Whiplash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AmmyDragonair View Post
    Another good question is why the Y legendary is a bird. Birds don't have X and Y chromosomes.
    Who knows, Pokemon could have entirely different chromosomes from the X/Y or Z/W formula.

They could, but I think it's more likely that Finicky Fennekin is right and the Legendaries will be genderless, so they might not even have gender chromosomes. (?)
    "N's heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence." ---Concordia

Latias and Latios have genders, but they cannot breed. Not sure they have genders in the game, but story-wise they do. So I think it's possible these new legends also have gender, but since they're so rare, do they have anyone to breed with? Latias and Latios were common once, as seen in Pokemon 5, but now they are rare and the two that exists are sister and brother so they don't breed. Even if you have 10 Xerneas in your box, I think that legends are supposed to be rare, story-wise. There is a reason they are so hard to find. Since there are supposed to be only one (even if you have 10 in your box), then they have no one to breed with. The reason these Pokemon are not extinct, is because they are so powerful, but they will probably not live for ever.

There have been games based on ocean and land, RS, time and space, DP, and Yin and Yang, BW. The first games seemed to be based on water, grass, fire and electricity, that is Pokemon Types. GS also stands for something I think, dragon and bird, or ocean and sky, I'm not sure. It's possible the next games will be based on male and female. It seems very possible. If X Y would be directions, then we're almost dealing with space, like Pearl, especially if we add Z. The next games might be XX and XY. No I don't think so, but it could be a possibility, instead of X2 and Y2 which starts to sound like variables in a source code :)
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast