Role of Genetics

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Role of Genetics

Default Role of Genetics

As we all (probably) know, X and Y will be based on Genetics, DNA, etc. The Japanese logo shows a bit of DNA and the games are named after Chromosomes, X and Y. If this is so, what role will Genetics play in the Plot of the Games? I'm going to make two lists: My Predictions and My Hopes.

Predictions:
    The enemy team will try to clone Pokemon to make an army of strong Pokemon
    The leader will try to clone Yveltal or Xerneas because of their rarity and use it as his (or her) Pokemon against its will

Hopes:
    Mew and Mewtwo will return (Mewtwo being a clone) and have some relevance to something in the plot
    More info on Genesect and Kabutops and maybe more like that (Think Robo-Aerodactyl)
    More fusions (maybe)
    Mutations of Pokemon (again, maybe)

Please post your own!

Default Re: Role of Genetics

I'd really like X and Y to be about genetics, but the raging theory is that it's on dimensions and axises and that the third Legendary is going to be a Z.

Good predictions, they match the framework of other teams nicely, in particular Cipher. I wonder if, like in the Mewtwo movie, there will be minor differences between the clones and the originals? And if the games will explore similar themes to the movie.

I doubt Mew would ever make a mainstream game appearance, as it was originally designed to get Trainers trading and the powers that be seem happy to keep him solely as an event Pokemon. Would love a Mewtwo, but as you can get him in HG/SS and the game designers seem to hate handing out powerful Legendaries from other generations easily he'll probably be a trade-only fellow as well. However I don't think it'll be too far out to say that there'll be something about him, as he is the first clone and would certainly be of interest to any self-respecting cloner. Ditto with the fossil Pokemon, though I'm not sure about Genesect, as it was supposedly a Team Plasma secret.

I would say it's a near certainty that there'll be more fusion Pokemon, although I'm not sure if I like them yet. Mutations would be a bit iffy to put in as they only tend to happen when radiation's involved and I don't think many kids would enjoy feeding their Pokemon plutonium or however it would work. Deoxys was a one-shot as it is a virus and it doesn't take much to get those things mutating. But since alternative forms are all the rage with designers, it's not impossible.

is back for 2014 S.S. Shadow Minun's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow S.S. Shadow Minun On Twitter Add S.S. Shadow Minun on Facebook
    Visit S.S. Shadow Minun's Youtube Channel

My predictions:
    *The enemy team will pick many Pokémon for testing genetics, and even making Shadow Pokémon.
    *The leader will steal legendaries for experimental purposes (like Cipher testing Lugia)
    *The Pokémon Day Care will be operated by enemy teams instead of the old couples, and trying to deceive the player for their purporses.
    *Egg groups shall be changed drastically.
    *More fusions and mutations of any Pokémon species (maybe).

Blog Entries

Do you suppose they'll reintroduce the DNA Splicers?

Banner made by Sir Caprizant.

Almost a certainty if the Tao Trio become available in the game, probably as an event.
    "N's heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence." ---Concordia

Map god, apparently Shiny Metagross's Avatar
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

I've been wondering what if some of the new species were only obtainable by breeding certain pairs?

Banner by Blue Dragon | White FC: 3096 6256 6818 | Black 2 FC: 2967 7719 9235

is back for 2014 S.S. Shadow Minun's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow S.S. Shadow Minun On Twitter Add S.S. Shadow Minun on Facebook
    Visit S.S. Shadow Minun's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Gear View Post
    I've been wondering what if some of the new species were only obtainable by breeding certain pairs?
    Or even evolving two Pokémon at a same time after Double/Triple Battles? Obtain new species by breeding pairs (Phione does't count), or evolving two Pokémon at a same time into one Pokémon species (fusion evolution) could be better than branched evolutions.

I was just about to post this. I'm surprised that we didn't get any crossbreed so far, the more that there are lots of real-life inspirations.
    Apart of this, I think there should be more parents' characteristics to forward to their offsprings, at least some visual ones; that could teach our younger fellow gamers basics of genetics.

Pokemon games have so much unused didactic potential...!

Forever Lacking Rhythm Konoko Hasano's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyDragonair View Post
    I'd really like X and Y to be about genetics, but the raging theory is that it's on dimensions and axises and that the third Legendary is going to be a Z.
    Even if the third legendary is going to be a Z, it would STILL have a basis in genetics, since the chromosomes of birds -- and perhaps certain other things? -- contain Z and W chromosomes instead of X and Y. As such, I'd really like to see a Z and W legendary as well, since W has a place in certain aspects of dimensions as well. It would keep so much of its double/triple/whatever meaning that it'd be amazing.

I mainly just hope that the X/Y Regional Professor's main thing is dabbling in Genetics of Pokemon.
    Oak: Relationship between Pokemon and Humans
    Elm: Breeding
    Birch: Habitats
    Rowan: Evolution
    Juniper: Origins
    If the new professor is about genetics, then I kind of hope that he ends up being an old colleague to Elm, since Breeding and Genetics seem to go rather well. Plus, I tend to forget about Elm, and seeing him mentioned a little more would be nice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Konoko Hasano View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AmmyDragonair View Post
    Even if the third legendary is going to be a Z, it would STILL have a basis in genetics, since the chromosomes of birds -- and perhaps certain other things? -- contain Z and W chromosomes instead of X and Y. As such, I'd really like to see a Z and W legendary as well, since W has a place in certain aspects of dimensions as well. It would keep so much of its double/triple/whatever meaning that it'd be amazing.

I mainly just hope that the X/Y Regional Professor's main thing is dabbling in Genetics of Pokemon.
    Oak: Relationship between Pokemon and Humans
    Elm: Breeding
    Birch: Habitats
    Rowan: Evolution
    Juniper: Origins
    If the new professor is about genetics, then I kind of hope that he ends up being an old colleague to Elm, since Breeding and Genetics seem to go rather well. Plus, I tend to forget about Elm, and seeing him mentioned a little more would be nice.
    Just pointing out, Elm's research is primarily evolution (as evidenced by in-game text, Prof. Oak even acknowledging him as the best in that field). He only did research on breeding because of the discovery of eggs in GSC, and in HgSs that switched to the relationship between humans and Pokemon (evidenced by his dialogue encouraging you to walk with Pokemon).

Either way, I don't see how genetics couldn't be applied to Pokemon evolution as a Pokemon's genes would underlie the evolutionary mechanisms.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

A possible way to explain and bring the IV's into play. I mean if genes do get some sort of role through the evil teams schemes, or is the research of the professor, I can easily see GF using the plot to explain IV's in a simple yet deep way.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The villain team will probably try to genetically modify Pokémon to make them stronger. Perhaps new breeding items/methods will be introduced seeing as IVs are basically Pokémon genes.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

I think the team may definately use genetic manipulation in some way, possibly to make some super Pokemon or some such thing. Id like to see some things like mutations in Pokemon that lead to them looking different than others and maybe hybrid Pokemon/crossbreeds

El_
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chespin View Post
    A possible way to explain and bring the IV's into play. I mean if genes do get some sort of role through the evil teams schemes, or is the research of the professor, I can easily see GF using the plot to explain IV's in a simple yet deep way.
    For some reason, I'm imagining the villain team having Pokemon with perfect IV's and possibly well placed EVs for the Admins and boss. That would certainly bring up an interesting issue in the fandom and would raise the question of whether we actually agree with them or not, because honestly in real life nature sometimes is very unfair with how it hands out certain genes and traits as we all know. A genetic plot could raise the question of whether Pokemon modification and advancement to make them stronger and better is justified. A champions Pokemon being more genetically capable than the typical trainer, and whatnot.

That could be contrasted very well if the whole "bond mechanic" is actually something new. Its basically euthenics and scientific advancement vs the idea that we can improve by natural means and bonds with each other, I can very easily see Game Freak going with a plot line like that.

Mew/Mewtwo should definitely return if this is the case, or at least receive a significant event as they (along with Genesect & possibly Deoxys) also fit with the theme.

N set by smalllady
    Ideals/Truth

Blog Entries

Pokémon Xros Wars

Kidding
    I wouldn't mind the idea of the villains genetically modifying or, Arceus forbid, cloning Pokémon.

Mewtwo was just a test. The real experiment happens here.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast