Rival Speculation and Discussion - Page 9

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Rival Speculation and Discussion

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rival Speculation and Discussion

@Cute Charm; Yeah, the blurbs don't reveal too much, so I have some hope on what they're holding out on us. And I'm certainly hoping Shauna becomes a battler, but I'm still anticipating the Bianca role. I agree that Tierno sound like he'll be a bit less of a rival, but at the same time, since he likes battling to figure out dance moves, he may battle a bit more frequently. Trevor seems to just want to fill the Pokedex, so I don't see him battling too often.

@Silktree; To be honest, at first I thought they were referring to the player by their chosen nickname (which does contradict the one shown in the other screenshot with Shauna but I figured it was just a different game shot). If that is the case, then that would be a nice refresher from the Gen 5 rivals, in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    @Silktree; To be honest, at first I thought they were referring to the player by their chosen nickname (which does contradict the one shown in the other screenshot with Shauna but I figured it was just a different game shot). If that is the case, then that would be a nice refresher from the Gen 5 rivals, in my opinion.
    That seems like an unusual nickname to pick for yourself, but you may be right.

Follow GrimsJ.Shadows on Tumblr

Yeah I miss the old rivals where they really get under your skin and actually provide some sort of a challenge. Although I wouldn't mind having another rival who is more friendly but I would like it if it didn't have the whole "teach me how to catch Pokemon" feel to it.

Blog Entries

I really hope none of the rivals are jerks like Blue was. They don't need to be overly friendly like Bianca and Cheren, but I don't really want an unpleasing character appearing all the time ruining my experience with the game. Well, I suppose only Calem/Serena could be a jerk, since the personalities of the others were already hinted (except Trevor's?). Also, they definitely should make the rivals' teams better, because honestly, Hugh's team was terrible and so was Cheren's.

He's Amphabulous! Bayushiyojiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reila View Post
    I really hope none of the rivals are jerks like Blue was. They don't need to be overly friendly like Bianca and Cheren, but I don't really want an unpleasing character appearing all the time ruining my experience with the game. Well, I suppose only Calem/Serena could be a jerk, since the personalities of the others were already hinted (except Trevor's?). Also, they definitely should make the rivals' teams better, because honestly, Hugh's team was terrible and so was Cheren's.
    maybe its just me and nostalgia goggles but i liked rivals like blue and silver.... 'friendly competition' is great and all but its nice to have recurring people that you actually want to smoosh into the dirt. and silver, at least, had the best story i think. because he actually went through a self-realization and evolved through the story (at least in HG/SS) and i felt it made him a much more endearing and fascinating character than someone like.. bianca for example
    "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." -Karen

all gens have their purpose and place (except hoenn, screw hoenn)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bayushiyojiro View Post
    maybe its just me and nostalgia goggles but i liked rivals like blue and silver.... 'friendly competition' is great and all but its nice to have recurring people that you actually want to smoosh into the dirt. and silver, at least, had the best story i think. because he actually went through a self-realization and evolved through the story (at least in HG/SS) and i felt it made him a much more endearing and fascinating character than someone like.. bianca for example
    I am not sure if it is nostalgia, because I actually started playing the series with Pokémon Blue, so by this logic I should like him, shouldn't I? In the end, I can't stand the character and his pseudo-personality. Silver, on other hand, wasn't bad at all, he was also arrogant, but he had reasons to be like that and he changed a lot through the game, while Blue didn't. They shouldn't be compared, imo. I am not even asking for "friendly competition", to be honest, what I am asking for is a character that isn't annoying like Blue. ^-^ Things like "smell ya later" didn't make me want to beat him, it made me want to never battle against him again. But that is just me. That being said, there is nothing wrong with wanting a new rival like Blue. I am just totally opposed to the idea.

Visit Rainbow's Youtube Channel

I'm really sick of friendly rivals. Rivals are supposed to be people you compete with.

I love jerky rivals like Blue, but since we haven't had one in years, I don't think we'll get another. It'd like to see someone who is at least competitive though and not all about being overly friendly, because Cheren and especially Bianca felt more like tutors. I'd like someone Barry. He wasn't in the same vein as Blue and Silver, but he wasn't too nice either. Just a friend you're competitive with.
    Team Gaara likes this.

He's Amphabulous! Bayushiyojiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reila View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayushiyojiro View Post
    I am not sure if it is nostalgia, because I actually started playing the series with Pokémon Blue, so by this logic I should like him, shouldn't I? In the end, I can't stand the character and his pseudo-personality. Silver, on other hand, wasn't bad at all, he was also arrogant, but he had reasons to be like that and he changed a lot through the game, while Blue didn't. They shouldn't be compared, imo. I am not even asking for "friendly competition", to be honest, what I am asking for is a character that isn't annoying like Blue. ^-^ Things like "smell ya later" didn't make me want to beat him, it made me want to never battle against him again. But that is just me. That being said, there is nothing wrong with wanting a new rival like Blue. I am just totally opposed to the idea.
    everyone experiences nostalgia differently, so it might still be nostalgia for me. :P but fair point.

if blue bothers you, just remember you killed his raticate on the SS ANNE
    "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." -Karen

all gens have their purpose and place (except hoenn, screw hoenn)

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    I'm really sick of friendly rivals. Rivals are supposed to be people you compete with.

I love jerky rivals like Blue, but since we haven't had one in years, I don't think we'll get another. It'd like to see someone who is at least competitive though and not all about being overly friendly, because Cheren and especially Bianca felt more like tutors. I'd like someone Barry. He wasn't in the same vein as Blue and Silver, but he wasn't too nice either. Just a friend you're competitive with.
    I agree. BW and BW2 just felt like a bunch of friends who didn't even have the same goals as me (minus Cheren). Which is fine (the friends part), but I didn't really have the drive to beat them like I did Barry, Blue, and Silver. That, and I just generally didn't like them: Hugh and Bianca were barely rivals, and none of them had a particularly difficult team to beat. So beating them didn't feel much different then some random NPC, just with more Pokemon. I just want someone who wants to fight me.

Blog Entries
    Follow Magmaster12 On Twitter
    Visit Magmaster12's Youtube Channel

I never cared for rivals like Blue or Silver.
    Blue was just a character that was a jerk for no clearly explained reason and that got old after a while.
    Silver was a better but we don't even learn his motives until HGSS and I thought his story was a little to predictable.
    8ther likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    Silver was a better but we don't even learn his motives until HGSS
    His backstory was a mystery, but he was always clear about his motive: wanting to get stronger so that he wouldn't be as weak as Team Rocket, who had to work together to become a threat. And HGSS only confirmed what FRLG had strongly implied six years earlier.

and I thought his story was a little to predictable.
    How was he more predictable than the other rivals? It's easy to say that something was predictable in hindsight.
    The Outrage likes this.

I like obnoxious rivals like Blue. It makes me actually want to kick their arse.

Honestly, I almost felt guilty fighting Bianca. She's so clueless, and so sweet. Thankfully she got a better role in BW2.
    GrimsJ.Shadows and Berrenta like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayde View Post
    "OH HOT DAMN! LOOK AT THAT FUCKING BELL! IT'S SMALL AND CUTE AND HAS A FUCKING RIBBON ON IT'S FUCKING HEAD! BACK THIS PARTY VAN UP! I GOTTA CATCH THAT SHIT!!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    His backstory was a mystery, but he was always clear about his motive: wanting to get stronger so that he wouldn't be as weak as Team Rocket, who had to work together to become a threat. And HGSS only confirmed what FRLG had strongly implied six years earlier.
    I'd say the issue wasn't being as weak as Team Rocket, he didn't want to be like Giovanni who he perceived to be a hypocrite for acting strong in front of a team but cowardly retreating on his own:

"I don't want to understand you! I will never become someone like you. A coward when you're alone and acting like a tyrant when you're in front of other cowards! I will become strong! I will become a stronger man all by myself! All by myself!"

Though it's interesting that he takes it so far to the point that he no longer cares about Pokemon, and then Giovanni's speech about the strength of an organization parallels the strength of one's party ("Putting together the potential of many is how you produce a huge power...")....its like he was trying to teach Silver team work.

But yeah, who would have predicted that. He considers Team Rocket weak not because they rely on team work per say, but because what Giovanni did....and that Giovanni actually knew the importance of team work.

Blog Entries
    Follow Saeyru On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    I definitely agree with this, in a sense. There's nothing wrong with friendly competition, of course! But the "childhood friend/rival" thing is starting to get old at this point, and I'd like it if the rivals were someone that I can actually compete against. It really does bring about a greater sense of satisfaction when you're kicking their asses in the end and proving that you're the better trainer. xD;
    Team Gaara likes this.

Okay, so the trailers that I have seen so far revealed that:

So Trevor and Tierno don't get any of the Kalos starters. But you get a second starter in-game: the Kanto starters. For anyone who knows, do any of your rivals also get the Kanto starters? Are Shauna and Calem/Serena the only rivals to get starters or do Trevor and Tierno get starters as well? (If they do, then their starters will probably be the Kanto starters but idk.)

Also, this thread could be a good place to post your rival's teams as you go along the game. I'll start:

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast