Rival Speculation and Discussion - Page 5

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Rival Speculation and Discussion

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rival Speculation and Discussion

This is true, but they didn't have a lot of personality and their back-story was boring. This is in contrast to Wally who had a definite personality and a more interesting story. So yeah, they acted out the part of a rival at times, but as characters, they themselves weren't especially deep. Basically they are 'generic. Bianca is really the first female rival with an actual story and personality, is what I'm saying, and I want another female rival that also has a unique story and personality, but one that's more aggressive than Bianca.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Blog Entries

Honestly, there was no real rival in RSE, just various mentor-mentee relationships. The opposite gender PC started off as someone who was supposedly more experienced and basically helped you out through your entire journey. The PC was then basically a mentor to Wally, or at least his inspiration. And then in Emerald, we even had various apprentices.

It would be nice if we had multiple rivals again, not just a single one like Hugh.
    Reila and UnovaCastaway like this.

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I personally consider May more of a rival than Bianca. Bianca wasn't even (and still isn't) sure what she wants to be. I hardly consider her a real rival.

That said, I'm hoping the Gen 6 rival is better than the ones in Gen 5. Gary through Barry were great, and if we could have a rival (I'm hoping for female) like one of them in X and Y, it'd be awesome.

Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by NoirGrimoir View Post
    This is true, but they didn't have a lot of personality and their back-story was boring. This is in contrast to Wally who had a definite personality and a more interesting story. So yeah, they acted out the part of a rival at times, but as characters, they themselves weren't especially deep. Basically they are 'generic. Bianca is really the first female rival with an actual story and personality, is what I'm saying, and I want another female rival that also has a unique story and personality, but one that's more aggressive than Bianca.
    I do agree with you that they didn't have much of a backstory to them, although no rival really had that much backstory at that point. Personality wise I agree with you too, however that isn't really a reason to disregard them as rivals. I am sure the rivals will continue having more interesting backstories and personalities, especially this upcoming generation.

The Jet Black Pokemon Ninja_Oscar's Avatar

Follow Ninja_Oscar on Tumblr

I kind of want a rival like the one in RSE. Well the first half of RSE anyways... They actually put up a challenge and felt like a friendly jerk.The battle beneath the cycling road is the hardest rival battle to me(well aside from Champion Blue). Too bad that after that battle they get all lazy with their battling and eventually quit! :/

Blog Entries

I don't remember that battle being difficult. It's just that there's a lot of terrain, and trainers and tall grass with an annoyingly high pokemon population, that had to trek through before getting there, and there wasn't really a lot of warning. So basically I'd say the majority of people went into that battle with only a few healthy pokemon...

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Blog Entries

I kind of want a rival like the one in RSE. Well the first half of RSE anyways... They actually put up a challenge and felt like a friendly jerk.
    May wasn't that much of a jerk. In fact, she was pretty nice. Brendan on the other hand, I agree with. It is a shame that they just gave up being trainers, though. Hopefully we won't be seeing that again.

Blog Entries

Didn't Brendan and May have the exact same dialogue?
    Phoenixon likes this.

Registered User BigBadButterfree's Avatar

I hope the rival battle music is good. Gen 3 ha the best, I think. 4 was that fast-paced funny thing, very fitting for Barry, but gen 5 had a lame rival battle theme. I can't even remember it, that's apparently how lame it was to me :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    I personally consider May more of a rival than Bianca. Bianca wasn't even (and still isn't) sure what she wants to be. I hardly consider her a real rival.
    Well, even if you don't consider Bianca a rival, she was one, more than Brendan or May even were. The fact she wasn't sure of what she wanted doesn't make her a non-rival, actually, that only made her character deeper and more human. To be honest, like The Outrage said, Brendan and May never were hardly true rivals. They battle you a lot of times during the game, but so do N and yet, he isn't a rival.

Mostly, yes. One of the few dialogue differences is that Brendan says he didn't expect May to be a girl, right in the beginning of the games. Some people like to think he is a jerk thanks to that little piece of dialogue. Go figure, imo the only jerk rival as of now is Blue, even Silver had his reasons to be an ass.

Blog Entries

Actually it was pretty different. Though for the most part it was the same concept, May was much nicer than Brendan.

Well, even if you don't consider Bianca a rival, she was one, more than Brendan or May even were. The fact she wasn't sure of what she wanted doesn't make her a non-rival, actually, that only made her character deeper and more human. To be honest, like The Outrage said, Brendan and May never were hardly true rivals. They battle you a lot of times during the game, but so do N and yet, he isn't a rival.
    Don't get me wrong. I didn't say she wasn't one. I just don't think she acts very much like one. Though, to be honest, I can't say I consider her more of a rival than Brendan or May.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

May and Brendan were rivals, but not particularly good ones in my opinion. You battle them at few times, but you don't even see their fully evolved starter Pokemon and they just stop battling you around halfway through the game. Wally wasn't much of a rival, but at least he was more interesting and I would have preferred seeing him being the main rival instead of appearing suddenly at the end. I wouldn't be against the idea of the trainer with the opposite gender of whatever the player chose to be the rival as long as it was handled better than with May/Brendan. I would prefer a set of different rivals like what B/W had, especially when that allowed for a lot of interesting moments and good development for them. I kind of like the idea of making the rival character your sibling too.

Blog Entries

I want MOAR RIVALS!!! A male, a female, a villain, a sibling, a scientist... ALL OF THEM!! (Kind of like in BW, you had N, Cheren and Bianca, but I want these ones to be more LIKE rivals than the others....) And fewer random trainers...

Or what if... Some of the random trainers you meet can BECOME YOUR RIVALS!!! For example, in route 1, you meet a school kid and battle him, then in route 7, he becomes a Dragon tamer, at later on at Route 18, he becomes an Ace Trainer... It's like giving even the most useless characters SORT OF a story, which could make the game more interesting... I mean, who actually cares about what a trainer says after you beat them? Maybe, with the above method, there could be sort of a VERY mini-plot with each Trainer Rival.... And maybe they can join you in the end to defeat the ultimate team.. (In this case, the team would have HUNDREDS of members, but your "rivals" take care of most of them, similar to how your present rivals battles some evil team members, and you battle the rest...)
    Okay kind of getting off topic.. But yeah, that was an idea I had...

Blog Entries

^ N wasn't a rival, but I yeah, I like that you had more than one rival in BW and I want the same in XY. Two or three would be a good amount of rivals.

Follow Meophist On Twitter

It seems like to me that the rival system is quite different now. Not entirely sure what to think now. I wonder what their starting Pokémon will be?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast