Rival Speculation and Discussion - Page 4

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Rival Speculation and Discussion

Default Re: Rival Speculation and Discussion

I'd like a rival similar to N and Colress in Gen 5, they have a mysterious personality and you learn more about them as you progress through the game. Just make the battles more frequent and have the whole shocking twist thing come up later in the game, and make it, like, dramatic. I think Colress' reveal wasn't until near the end, right? I can't remember because I already knew he was a Plasma before even playing the game. The way Unova handled rivals, I think they have character development nailed, I just want to see a change in how the rival knows you.

Blog Entries

I support a new rival like Bianca. She is my favorite rival in the series by far.

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

Default Re: Rival

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    True, but at that point you'd've had a chance to catch something that wouldn't be at a disadvantage. Actually, you had access to at least one 'mon that could directly counter his starter (Pidove for Snivy, Azuril or Psyduck for Tepig, or Mareep for Oshawott).
    A similar situation could also happen in X and Y. We could get the starter and then travel through a route where we can catch Pokemon with advantages over our rival before the first battle. However, the point I was trying to make was that even if you still only had your starter, you still wouldn't be totally helpless against Hugh since I'm pretty sure he doesn't even use the super effective move.

On a seperate note, I'd definately like a female rival. I'd hope she'd have a tough personality and be very vain and insulting; not like the nice May (who would only be your rival if you played as a male) or the air headed Bianca who had a weak team. However, even if the rival does end up being male, I still hope he'd be like Blue/Silver.

Blog Entries

What if the rival's gender you get depends on the game you get? Considering the X/Y theme....?
    I don't actually think this will be the case, but I do see it as a possibility....

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixon View Post
    What if the rival's gender you get depends on the game you get? Considering the X/Y theme....?
    I don't actually think this will be the case, but I do see it as a possibility....
    That'd actually be pretty cool! Female for X and male for Y, since those are the chromosomes associated with those sexes?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    That'd actually be pretty cool! Female for X and male for Y, since those are the chromosomes associated with those sexes?
    Exactly what I was thinking!
    (Unless they go BW on us)

Follow Meophist On Twitter

Maybe we can have a themed rival this time? As in, having a certain theme to their Pokémon, such as a type theme.

Blog Entries

I don't like the idea. What if I want Yveltal and the female rival? That would be my case, actually.

Got dat Kalos swag Sir Fabulous's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The rival might get an Eevee that evolves into Sylveon. That would make the whole level 5 elemental move dilemma make sense. Not to mention, an Eevee would be great for a rival to have, and Sylveon gets used by an important character (although the latter isn't exactly important and has only applied to Jolteon upon introduction).
    I have claimed: Staraptor (01/12/13), Shiny Stone (02/12/13), and Limber (02/12/13).

Default Re: Rival

Quote Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
    I think a no-rival system can be interesting, or at least, a rival that doesn't use the other starter Pokémon.
    I wouldn't want to see no rivals in the game, especially after enjoying so many rivals from the previous generation. Though, the idea of a rival character who doesn't use the starter Pokemon that has an advantage over whatever starter you choose does sound potentially interesting. If they could tie it into some special connection the rival has with his first Pokemon and maybe it use it to expand on this bonding system that they've hinted at, then I'd be more up for that. I don't know if they would get rid of that tradition though, especially when they often use the rival battle as a means to help introduce basic battle concepts for new players.
    The rival is unlikely to have an advantage over the player, particularly since in XY, the starters seems to start with a move that's super-effective, and it would be difficult at minimum to overcome such a disadvantage. It's more likely that such a rival would have the Pokémon that's at a disadvantage, but it's been making me wonder if Game Freak has thought of another way of doing things.

That's why the idea of no-rival has come to me. Either that, or maybe a rival is introduced later than the previous games. I'm not really sure what the plan is, but if the starters start with their elemental attacks, I don't think it's going to be traditional.
    Maybe the rival could be a new character that you meet early on in your travels (maybe around the 1st badge) who is a new trainer from another region or something. They wouldn't have a starter pokemon like the player either. I would like a more antagonistic rival, but not necessarily evil. Maybe more like Blue. I definitely don't want them to get rid of the rival. I would like a very competitive rival with a well rounded team with varying pokemon (in rotation) rather than a set team. Finally, I want them to have a full 6 team by the time you get close to the League rather than Hugh who only had a pathetic 4.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

I'd like to see another rival that breaks the jerk/nice childhood friend dichotomy like Hugh did, but with a better story and team. Perhaps a rival who starts out friendly but gradually becomes more bitter and resentful each time you beat them, eventually driving them to do something drastic.

I suspect that the first battle will happen on a route which gives you time to grind to make up for the disadvantage, like the first rival encounters in Gen II and III.

Blog Entries

I'd like to see your rival join the evil team or something. Basically they are naive and get pulled into the teams ideals and you battling them is to make them understand they are making a bad decision, not just to test each others strength or something.

Also, still holding out for a female rival. Bianca was our first one, I think. She was a great character, but I would like a female rival with a little more attitude or spunk next time around.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by NoirGrimoir View Post
    I'd like to see your rival join the evil team or something. Basically they are naive and get pulled into the teams ideals and you battling them is to make them understand they are making a bad decision, not just to test each others strength or something.

Also, still holding out for a female rival. Bianca was our first one, I think. She was a great character, but I would like a female rival with a little more attitude or spunk next time around.
    May was the first. She was only able to be your rival if you were the male character, however she still counts. I don't mind what gender our new rival shall be, just as long as they're interesting.

Blog Entries

She wasn't really a rival, per se. Wally was really the main rival in that game. May/Brendan were just kind of...there. They gave you items and pretended they were actually doing stuff for their dad in between getting their asses kicked by you, when they were basically doofing around on their bike.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by NoirGrimoir View Post
    She wasn't really a rival, per se. Wally was really the main rival in that game. May/Brendan were just kind of...there. They gave you items and pretended they were actually doing stuff for their dad in between getting their asses kicked by you, when they were basically doofing around on their bike.
    I'd consider both May and Brandon rivals. You battled them quite a few times throughout the region. I don't see why they shouldn't have been rivals, they certainly acted out the part the same way any other rival did.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast