Rival Speculation and Discussion - Page 2

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Rival Speculation and Discussion

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: Rival

Quote Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
    The rival is unlikely to have an advantage over the player, particularly since in XY, the starters seems to start with a move that's super-effective, and it would be difficult at minimum to overcome such a disadvantage. It's more likely that such a rival would have the Pokémon that's at a disadvantage, but it's been making me wonder if Game Freak has thought of another way of doing things.

That's why the idea of no-rival has come to me. Either that, or maybe a rival is introduced later than the previous games. I'm not really sure what the plan is, but if the starters start with their elemental attacks, I don't think it's going to be traditional.
    It would be difficult to overcome that disadvantage for a first battle, but I think I would see Game Freak doing that over not having the rival start off with the starter Pokemon that has an advantage over whatever Pokemon the player chooses. They've always had a rival character like that in the games, with the exception of Yellow. Although, a rival being introduced later than in the previous games sounds interesting, but I don't know if they'd go with that either. I'm still hoping that they'll have two rivals to cover both of the other starter Pokemon that the player doesn't choose. I always felt bad when the third Pokemon that wasn't chosen is just left in the lab.

If the rival is as well-written as Hue in B2W2, I would love the rival. Seriously, Hue is the best Rival ever IMO, and I hope we can get someone similar in this game. Jerk rivals are a terrible cliche, and I don't miss Blue or Silver at all, so I hope the rival is better than that.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

I don't mind jerk rivals if they're handled well like I think Silver was, although I agree that they are cliche. I wouldn't mind having another rival character who can balance out being relatively friendly and then being more competitive in battle like what I think they did with Cheren and Hue.

Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

If there is a new type, and our starter Pokemon do in fact start with an elemental attack, then perhaps the rival will not use another starter Pokemon, but a possible early Pokemon with the new Type. It would introduce the new Type to us quickly and show us what it could do if it was your rival's main Pokemon.

Add Chiss on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by PKMN Trainer Faye View Post
    If the rival is as well-written as Hue in B2W2, I would love the rival. Seriously, Hue is the best Rival ever IMO, and I hope we can get someone similar in this game. Jerk rivals are a terrible cliche, and I don't miss Blue or Silver at all, so I hope the rival is better than that.
    Hugh was a good rival, but if they give the next rival a tragic backstory like him I hope it will be more traumatic then "OMG, my sister's Purrloin got stolen!"
    Akromatic likes this.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Just like I said before !
    I want a rival who's gender depend on Player gender !
    Also , A rival who is forced to work with the Evil Team Until the Player save him/her !
    Berrenta likes this.

I've always liked the idea of a rival that was part of the evil team.
    Which came first: the Mew or the Arceus?

Blog Entries

I just hope the new rival (if there is one) isn't a douche like Blue, it is been more than a decade and I still don't understand why people like that jerk. I personally liked the friendly rivals from the past generations, although a bit more of background for them would have been nice. Also, please, it is about to time for a main female rival.

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I loved having two rivals (Dex purposes). Bianca and Cheren also had excellent development through the course of Gen V. While Hugh had a great story, I was a little disappointed that it was only me and him. (and the only time you saw the third starter was in its middle stage during the tag battle with the opposite gender PC in Nimbasa)

A while ago, I read an idea somewhere for a sibling rival. I would love to see that, or even a set of three siblings: you, the opposite gender PC (who is friendly), and a third who is more of a rebellious punk. That would be a slight change from Bianca as a clumsy, ditzy airhead and Cheren as an overly studious powermonger.

I really hope we get some slightly different character dynamics with the rival(s). If the rumors are true about the starters getting Dark/ Psychic/ Fighting as secondary types and having advantages and disadvantages over each other, then it would make for a truly interesting rival concept.
    Akromatic likes this.

El_
    Blog Entries

Don't get me wrong, I really liked Hue, but I honestly don't want the next rival to be like him. The reason being is that, there was no "intensity" in Hue's rivalry. Whenever Hue challenged me to battle, it simply felt like we were training and that was it. The interactions and teaming up against Team Plasma was actually more enjoyable to me, which probably isn't surprising as that is what his character was geared towards.

He felt overall much more like a bro than a rival. Not a bad thing, but I just favor some intensity and that can be had without the rival being a douche like Silver was.
    Hidden Mew likes this.

N set by smalllady
    Ideals/Truth

Can we have an actually evil rival this time around? I don't want another stupid airhead like Bianca.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Kishore View Post
    Just like I said before !
    I want a rival who's gender depend on Player gender !
    Also , A rival who is forced to work with the Evil Team Until the Player save him/her !
    We kind of had a rival who is working with the evil team with N. He wasn't forced to do it exactly, but he was misguided until the player defeats him at the end of the storyline. They could do that in a different way with another rival character. Maybe he is so sure of whatever the evil team's goal is, but after losing to the player so many times, he starts to question it and then helps the player in the climax.

Quote Originally Posted by El_
    Don't get me wrong, I really liked Hue, but I honestly don't want the next rival to be like him. The reason being is that, there was no "intensity" in Hue's rivalry. Whenever Hue challenged me to battle, it simply felt like we were training and that was it. The interactions and teaming up against Team Plasma was actually more enjoyable to me, which probably isn't surprising as that is what his character was geared towards.

He felt overall much more like a bro than a rival. Not a bad thing, but I just favor some intensity and that can be had without the rival being a douche like Silver was.
    I agree. While Hue was an okay rival, there wasn't much intensity to the actual rivalry. I liked his story with searching for his sister's Pokemon and having an understandable grudge against Team Plasma made him an interesting character, but he wasn't one of the best rivals from the last generation in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Anser
    Can we have an actually evil rival this time around? I don't want another stupid airhead like Bianca.
    An actual evil rival would be kind of cool depending on how they handled him. Although, the chances are excellent that he would be redeemed by the end of the storyline and not be evil. I never really considered Bianca a stupid airhead in the games. She was a bit ditzy at first, but after almost losing her Munna, she was more mature, had excellent development and in my opinion, one of the best rivals we've had in years. The other being N. I can only hope that whatever rival in X/Y leaves as good of an impression and gets as much development as Bianca did.
    Reila and El_ like this.

Video Games Modegator GatoRage's Avatar Moderator
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Follow GatoRage on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by FireHawk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
    Considering that the starter Pokémon now have their elemental attacks at level 5
    Likely not true. The screenshots never reflect the final games. Remember the HGSS Demo? Todadile had Ice Fang at level 22 I believe? Doesn't learn it until 60s Feraligatr
    Totodile does learn Ice Fang at level 20 actually, so that demo wasn't inconsistent with the final product in terms of that.

Then again, the starters have never had a move of their own type at level 5 so the screenshots might not reflect the final product. I think they do though. These look like games of many firsts. You just simply won't face the rival/childhood friend who picks the starter with a type advantage right after you receive yours at level 5, because you'd most likely get your ass handed to you. Unless the rival is like Barry and insists on using Growl/Leer/Withdraw etc. instead of attacking.

Follow Mordicuno on Tumblr

^ Or maybe we get the starters at a level that is lower than Level 5.
    Last edited by Mordicuno; 15th May 2013 at 02:48 PM.

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can someone explain to me the whole "elemental move at Lv5" and "maybe we won't face the rival with the advantage because of that". Like, what's the deal? Why should knowing an elemental move prevent you from fighting the rival?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast