Revolutionizing the types?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Revolutionizing the types?

Blog Entries

Default Revolutionizing the types?

I'm sorry if this has been done before or if it is not important enough ( as a subject) to qualify for a separate thread. Please feel free to delete or merge.

Up until Gen V...flying type has always been made to feel like a secondary type. A type that sticks to a pokemon only if a said pokemon has wings or if based on an avian creature. In all classical lore the main 4 elements were fire, water, earth and wind...how come flying was never titled wind? and why is it always bestowed on pokemon as a secondary type? as an elaborated ability to be more specific?

The same thing with normal...I never really understood why normal is called normal? in a world were magical creatures battle each other with super natural forces I could never see any thing normal about any pokemon. furthermore, normal has always been a primary type.
    Then Gen VI came..and poke standards have once again been shuffled . Onban the new flying/ dragon actually has flying as a primary type. and normal is being used as a secondary type!!
    Why do you think that the creators have decided to to do this now? do you think that we will have more primary and or pure flying types? and secondary normal types for that matter? and what would be the significance? revolutionizing and fully differentiating the types maybe?
    Proud claimer of the Snow Dragon Kyurem. 24/01/2014

Default Re: Revolutionizing the types?

Flying always seemed like it should be just a secondary type to me. The pokemon is a normal or fire or whatever that can fly. Like you said, it demonstrates an ability of the pokemon that doesn't necessarily define it. Normal to me is more neutral. Not super effective against anything it sort of makes sense. It is a pokemon that exists slightly outside the elemental rock paper scissors and what resists it and its immunities makes sense. If I tried to strike a rock or steel plate not much would happen. Ghosts are incorporeal and pass right through. I believe those with normal as a secondary type will drop the normal and gain a new type when they evolve. Time will tell on that one. Both normal and flying haven't been very useful since gen I and I think game freak is trying to bring more of a spotlight back on them.

Because Flying doesn't represent so much wind as it does just Pokemon that can fly. And usually just being able to fly isn't the only attribute of a Pokemon (to the point where they even made a separate ability to represent flying Pokemon, Levitate).

Follow Argylegasm On Twitter

It's believable theory if they're trying to better define the types that until now existed as merely secondary or non-differentiated types. I like how Noivern is primarily Flying, I think they're trying to highlight that Flying is more of an air element than just a form of locomotion.

As for normal... not idea what they're doing there besides adding a Fighting weakness to Helioptile and Litleo.
    Safari: Dragon | Gabite, Noibat, Sliggoo
    Pokémon X | FC: 4871-3955-6532 | Name: Brandon
    Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

And adding a ghost immunity. Never underestimate an Imunity. Plus there's stab on the common early game moves which can be a useful boost. Still, I'm convinced they're replacing normal with an additional type when they evolve.

追放されたバカ

If Ghost attacks don't touch Normal types, will they touch Helioptile?

Also I never understood why a flying Pokemon is immune to all Ground type moves. Things like Earthquake and Fissuer I can understand, but something like Mud Bomb, is explosive, surely that should hurt a bird. Same with bonemerang, just because you have wings doesn't mean a bone crushing down on your skull won't harm you.

I think all the past Normal/Flying should just be retconned as Flying.
    YamiiDenryuu and epicparker like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Genwunner View Post
    Also I never understood why a flying Pokemon is immune to all Ground type moves. Things like Earthquake and Fissuer I can understand, but something like Mud Bomb, is explosive, surely that should hurt a bird. Same with bonemerang, just because you have wings doesn't mean a bone crushing down on your skull won't harm you.
    Well, that's just due to type matchups working based solely on type rather than by individual moves. However, Levitate would make more sense if it was like Soundproof but for "ground-based moves", like Earthquake and Fissure (dunno if any non-ground moves would qualify... Rollout?).

I think I'd leave Doduo and Dodrio part normal (since they're actually flightless) as well as Togetic and Togekiss (assuming they don't get retconned to fairy/flying anyway), but all the others can totally lose that normal type.

Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Genwunner View Post
    If Ghost attacks don't touch Normal types, will they touch Helioptile?

I think all the past Normal/Flying should just be retconned as Flying.
    You've answered your own question already. Helioptile is part Normal type and therefore immune to Ghost type attacks.
    Reila likes this.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

I really hate the fact this gen they're using Flying as a primary type and Normal as a secondary type. Honestly, to me it just seems like they're doing it for the sake of doing it.

Even last gen they sorta fucked up and were non committal with the flying type. It made sense for Tornadus to be solely flying type. The thing's floating around on a cloud. They had a pokemon where flying as a primary type made sense. But then with Thundrus and Landorus they went back on that and put flying back to the secondary type. Those pokemon were cloud based but just happened to also have electric/ground attributes. Having them as Flying/Electric and Flying/Ground would have made perfect sense then. Then they give us a pokemon that's just like other flying dragons, and reverses the typing, and I really can't see them pulling anything that we don't already know yet that'll make me think it's a good decision. It just seems gimmicky.

And the secondary normal type strikes me as pretty dumb as well. Normal pokemon acquiring a secondary type upon evolution makes sense because the pokemon attains a secondary attribute it didn't have before such as Bibarel being more water oriented than Bidoof, and with Normal/Flying it makes sense because they're pretty plain birds. Girafarig's a weird case, but because it itself's a weird pokemon so I don't really pay any attention to it. Giving it as a secondary type just seems redundant. If the thing is more fire or electric than normal, than it's not too normal is it? And the pokemon acquiring a different secondary type upon evolution seems weird because of the fighting weakness and especially the ghost immunity. It doesn't make much sense to me that something would evolve and then be able to be struck by spectral attacks. Again, it all just strikes me as very gimmicky and done for the sake of changing things up.
    The Outrage, Mordicuno and Reila like this.

Blog Entries

Follow pastabender on Tumblr

Sorry but Return on a Braviary is one of my favourite things so no I would not like to see Flying/Normal retconned as just Flying.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WindBlast View Post
    In all classical lore the main 4 elements were fire, water, earth and wind...
    Not really. Those are Aristotelian elements. Which in turn, were permutations of temperature (hot/cold) and humidity (wet/dry). (And presently represent the four states of matter)
    Similar concepts exist in induism, which relate similar elements to the five senses.

Other cultures have things like Fire, Earth, Metal, Water and Wood (in the case of Wu Xing), or Buddhist chakras having several peculiar differences.

Because Pokémon is basically a Fantasy Kitchen Sink, it takes inspiration from many different cultures for its somewhat uniquely broad elemental theory. So we have Grass, Ground, Rock and Steel as different things when in one or another philosophy they would overlap.

Anyways, I would agree that they ARE more conscious on what each of the types represents now, given they just added a new one and are more willing to experiment now.
    So whatever really one type is, I think they have made up their mind on it.

In particular, Normal is perhaps the hardest and more curious type to define, as it works as the "anti-occult" type so far. The basic of the basic, which is why I think special attention should be given to those pokémon that are part-Normal, as there is something that sets them apart and probably is the reason why so many birds are only secondarily part-Flying.

[/overexposition]

追放されたバカ

I just found this picture that illustrates my point perfectly, totally by accident on Facebook

This needs to be fixed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1003176_499486503460922_1838774718_n.png  

Haha, while I like the logic and why it needs to be fixed, I think the fix for THAT particular move or most of the "move vs type" issues is that perhaps certain moves need their typing to be overhauled. Bonemerang really doesn't make sense as "ground" attack and frankly should be devastating against flyers [why isn't it rock?] but the types themselves I think are in a pretty solid spot with a few exceptions, like poison and ice always feeling completely on the sidelines.

3DS FC Crackseed - 3711-8003-2965 | Fire Safari - Growlithe - Pyroar - Braixen

追放されたバカ

Quote Originally Posted by Crackseed View Post
    Haha, while I like the logic and why it needs to be fixed, I think the fix for THAT particular move or most of the "move vs type" issues is that perhaps certain moves need their typing to be overhauled. Bonemerang really doesn't make sense as "ground" attack and frankly should be devastating against flyers [why isn't it rock?] but the types themselves I think are in a pretty solid spot with a few exceptions, like poison and ice always feeling completely on the sidelines.
    What about Mud Bomb, huge ball of dirt so definitely Ground type, but then explodes on impact. Groudon can used dozens of these exploding bombs on a tiny Pidgey and Pidgey will be completely unscathed.

Visit Rainbow's Youtube Channel

Bonemerang is ground type because it's the Cubone line's signature move. It doesn't make sense that it has no effect on Flying pokemon, but the same can be said about a lot of other ground moves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast