Retcons you'd like to see

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Retcons you'd like to see

追放されたバカ

Default Retcons you'd like to see

Game Freak/Nintendo rarely retcon anything, but if they could, what retcons would you like to see?

My list is below

*Merge Nidoran(M) and Nidoran(F) into one Pokemon but with Gender differences, so they count as one rather than 2 still keep the split evos.

*Fix the national dex so that all families are together rather than split by evolution, so bring Pichu just in front of Pikachu.
    *Also rearrange Mew so that it becomes before Mewtwo in the dex.

*Retcon the incense out of existance, so just make a Sudowoodo egg automatically into a Bonsly you don't need to explain why this couldn't be done before, just retcon it.

*Also fix some of these dodgy evolution methods, you did it with Feebas -> Milotic, now make Espeon use Sun Stone, Umbreon Moon Stone, Leafeon Grass Stone, and Glaceon some Ice stone. These are just examples, there are lots of other dodgy evolution methods i;d fix (level up with Ancientpower which can only be reached with move relearner???)

More to follow...
    Risen Chief likes this.

Queen of Arendelle 0silverphoenix's Avatar

Default Re: Retcons you'd like to see

I agree with everything you have listed, except for the evolutions part. Sure some evolutions could be fixed, but Umbreon, Espeon, and Milotic are reasonable IMO.
    Berrenta likes this.
    I love all things Disney!!

W2 FC: 0347 7142 8369
    3DS FC: 4682 8523 1396

Follow Muur On Twitter
    Follow Muur on Tumblr Visit Muur's Youtube Channel

Luxray/Meowth/raticate dark type. Gyarados Dragon. Remove Steel from Lucario/Empoleon.
    ルカリオ likes this.

Blog Entries
    Add Spyspotter on MySpace

All retconned fairies are un-retconned.
    Muur and Genwunner like this.

Blog Entries

Getting rid of the Steel-typing from Lucario would be favourite. There's a lot about Lucario that winds me up, but the Steel-typing (Apparently justified by three small whitish spikes) most of all

Add EmeraldDragonair on Facebook

Retcon Kris back into existence.
    And Jessie and James... they were in Yellow, and Red's team from HG/SS would only be possible if Yellow was the cannon - hence also explaining the lack of a Starter on Blue's team, the complete lack of Leaf/Green, and how Oak can suddenly have the three starters to hand out again.
    All male Kirlia should have to evolve into Gallade, or else change gender when they evolve (like Azuril).
    If Hoenn was to be remade, its regional dex should be reconnected to have more water pokemon so there are less Wingull/Seagull in the Ocean.
    Also if Hoenn is remade that annoying kid that wont let you go in the grass until Birch is attacked should be reconnected into Max from the anime - there both useless and annoying.
    Genwunner likes this.

Blog Entries

Bring contests back into the game and restore Feebas's original evolution method. It was unique and added a major sense of drama to using it (especially when you weren't sure if you were going to make it to max beauty or not!).

They should also retcon 4 other Hoenn pokemons' evolution methods to follow the pattern. e.g. Makuhita with max Toughness stat evolves to Hariyama, Electrike with max Coolness evolves to Manectric, Spoink with max Smartness evolves to Grumpig, and Skitty with max Cuteness evolves to Delcatty. Then these pokemon would have a new sense of value because it actually requires work to get them!

They could also switch Slowpoke's evolution method to match Mantyke's, now that it exists. If you have a Shellder in your party ahead of Slowpoke and Slowpoke gains a level, you get Slowking, and behind it yields Slowbro.

I also agree that the Incense system is dumb. They have 2 ways to change it: eliminate Incense altogether and Marill automatically produces Azurill, or Marill will not reproduce unless it has Incense. The way it works now doesn't make sense because you have to put out extra effort to get a worse pokemon.

I would also retcon Spinda's appearance - make it so that the arrangement of the spots is used for something. Maybe you can predict the hidden power type with it.

Speaking of Hidden Power, let's get rid of the variable base power. They all get base 70 power of a random type now. Because the competitive players will just re-breed indefinitely until that Clamperl has HP Grass 70. Then it would be actually usable in-game, and you could have fun with your Chikorita that happens to have HP Electric!
    Last edited by Karpi; 14th September 2013 at 05:15 PM.

hi

Change all the stats.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Mix of the Ice Type
    Palermo as a person, but GaiaBurgh as a mix. Palmita is from the Pixie Town.

[QUOTE=EmeraldDragonair;4889679]Retcon Kris back into existence.
    And Jessie and James... they were in Yellow, and Red's team from HG/SS would only be possible if Yellow was the cannon - hence also explaining the lack of a Starter on Blue's team, the complete lack of Leaf/Green, and how Oak can suddenly have the three starters to hand out again.
    All male Kirlia should have to evolve into Gallade, or else change gender when they evolve (like Azuril).
    If Hoenn was to be remade, its regional dex should be reconnected to have more water pokemon so there are less Wingull/Seagull in the Ocean.
    Also if Hoenn is remade that annoying kid that wont let you go in the grass until Birch is attacked should be reconnected into Max from the anime - there both useless and annoying.[/QUO

Well, actually in my head-canon Red started with Charmander, Green (the rival) with Squirtle, and Blue\Leaf (the girl) with Bulbasaur. Red later saves a wild Pikachu from human bullies, the Pikachu decides to become Red s' friend and follow him. He does not want to evolve because Red believes Pikachu s' strenght lies in his heart, and also because Red had found an Electroball sometime after saving Pikachu. Later, Red finds Erika s' Bulbasaur prefers to stay with him, and Squirtle is rewarded to him a few days before retiring on Mt. Silver. Green s' Blastoise has retired from Pokèmon Battles, learned English (or whatever language they speak), moved to another region, and now he goes by "Prof. Blasty" and is on the other side of the desk, both literally and figuratively, as now he lends the Starter Pokèmon of the Hoteb* Region to various 10-year-old*2 newbies, and even has a wife and kids! Blue\Leaf, who is Red s' twin sister, now is in the Sevii Islands, doing some archeology and also bringing stuff to a few people. She has brought her Venusaur with her.

*can be replaceable by any other 5-letter word that has a long "o" sound in it, and also sounds "japanese-y" enough.
    *2 Or anywhere from 8 to 13, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Genwunner View Post
    Game Freak/Nintendo rarely retcon anything, but if they could, what retcons would you like to see?

My list is below

*Merge Nidoran(M) and Nidoran(F) into one Pokemon but with Gender differences, so they count as one rather than 2 still keep the split evos.

*Fix the national dex so that all families are together rather than split by evolution, so bring Pichu just in front of Pikachu.
    *Also rearrange Mew so that it becomes before Mewtwo in the dex.

*Retcon the incense out of existance, so just make a Sudowoodo egg automatically into a Bonsly you don't need to explain why this couldn't be done before, just retcon it.

*Also fix some of these dodgy evolution methods, you did it with Feebas -> Milotic, now make Espeon use Sun Stone, Umbreon Moon Stone, Leafeon Grass Stone, and Glaceon some Ice stone. These are just examples, there are lots of other dodgy evolution methods i;d fix (level up with Ancientpower which can only be reached with move relearner???)

More to follow...
    Negative on the Nidoran point. That would ruin the Pokedex of the original 150.

Negative on families next to each other in Pokedex, they're organized by discovery.

Negative on Mew before Mewtwo, watch Pokemon Origins and it clears that whole debate up. Mewtwo was OFFICIALLY discovered before Mew, as Fuji said Mew existed but nobody believed him, and Red caught Mewtwo before even seeing Mew, as he was the one who caught all of the first 150.

- Get rid of Stealth Rock. I know its idea is to have an entry hazard that works on Flying types, but why does it have to inflict Rock-type damage?

- Make the per-turn damage from elemental trapping moves (Fire Spin, Sand Tomb, etc.) actually elemental damage. E.g. if you use Fire Spin on a Parasect or Snover (4x weak to Fire), it takes 1/4HP per turn instead of the usual 1/16th.

I'm mixed on this; I just want a Pokedex mode that contains all National Dex Pokemon and keeps all cross-generational evolutionary families intact (not splitting them by debut generation).

(On a similar note, I would like legendary Pokemon to have their own Dex mode separate from common Pokemon, because it's really odd when you get your Diploma For "filling" the National Dex despite obvious holes in the numbering. Or maybe the Pokedex should just have a mode/switch -- on by default -- where it hides all empty spaces in the Dex. Like how when you arrange your TM pocket by number, you don't have blank spaces between them in the list, but you can tell by their numbers if there's one missing.)

- Rename Nidoran(M) and/or Nidoran(F).

- Fix Feraligatr's name.
    0silverphoenix likes this.
    "What?! You want me to nickname someone I just met?! You shouldn't put people on the spot like this!"
    (No wonder Pokemon nicknames are so difficult to think up.)

Vivillon Color: High Plains
    Friend Safari: Fighting (Meditite, Throh, Tyrogue), 4296-3230-7210

[...]

I want the Nidoran situation to be what you described, but I think it hasn't been done yet because it would screw up the Pokédex numbering.

The 'Dex should have 2 modes: one that goes in numerical order, and one organized by evolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Karpi View Post
    Bring contests back into the game and restore Feebas's original evolution method. It was unique and added a major sense of drama to using it (especially when you weren't sure if you were going to make it to max beauty or not!).

They should also retcon 4 other Hoenn pokemons' evolution methods to follow the pattern. e.g. Makuhita with max Toughness stat evolves to Hariyama, Electrike with max Coolness evolves to Manectric, Spoink with max Smartness evolves to Grumpig, and Skitty with max Cuteness evolves to Delcatty. Then these pokemon would have a new sense of value because it actually requires work to get them!

They could also switch Slowpoke's evolution method to match Mantyke's, now that it exists. If you have a Shellder in your party ahead of Slowpoke and Slowpoke gains a level, you get Slowking, and behind it yields Slowbro.

[...]

Speaking of Hidden Power, let's get rid of the variable base power. They all get base 70 power of a random type now. Because the competitive players will just re-breed indefinitely until that Clamperl has HP Grass 70. Then it would be actually usable in-game, and you could have fun with your Chikorita that happens to have HP Electric!
    Both of these things agreed 100%.

Also, I think that:
    Kadabra should evolve at Level 50 while holding a TwistedSpoon and Haunter should evolve at Level 50 while holding a Spell Tag— no trade required.
    SimH5 likes this.

☆ Bulbapedia has a walkthrough project! Spread the love! ☆

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ice_Rock_Steel View Post
    Also, I think that:
    Kadabra should evolve at Level 50 while holding a TwistedSpoon and Haunter should evolve at Level 50 while holding a Spell Tag— no trade required.
    YES. And don't forget about their friends Machoke (with Black Belt) and Graveler (with Hard Stone)! I remember being stuck with Graveler in Silver version because forever alone :(

Or, for something more unusual, maybe they could evolve after their EV points get maxed out! Since these are our standard "powerful" pokemon, it would be interesting because there would be a huge range of levels they could evolve at!
    0silverphoenix likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Karpi View Post
    Also, I think that:
    YES. And don't forget about their friends Machoke (with Black Belt) and Graveler (with Hard Stone)! I remember being stuck with Graveler in Silver version because forever alone :(

Or, for something more unusual, maybe they could evolve after their EV points get maxed out! Since these are our standard "powerful" pokemon, it would be interesting because there would be a huge range of levels they could evolve at!
    Agreed about Machoke and Graveler. Those items badly need a special usage. And people like their Gen I pokeymans.

Interesting EV idea. Since X & Y are gonna make EVs visible for the first time, they won't be such a mystery anymore and it'll be much easier to keep track. Maybe an EV-based evolution will actually be a thing...
    Karpi likes this.

☆ Bulbapedia has a walkthrough project! Spread the love! ☆

Interesting EV idea. Since X & Y are gonna make EVs visible for the first time, they won't be such a mystery anymore and it'll be much easier to keep track. Maybe an EV-based evolution will actually be a thing...
    What if that's how you get a Sylveon?
    "What?! You want me to nickname someone I just met?! You shouldn't put people on the spot like this!"
    (No wonder Pokemon nicknames are so difficult to think up.)

Vivillon Color: High Plains
    Friend Safari: Fighting (Meditite, Throh, Tyrogue), 4296-3230-7210

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast