Retconning Pokémon - Page 10

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Retconning Pokémon

Blog Entries

Default Re: Retconning Pokémon

Azurill, Marill, Azumarill, Meditite and Medicham should have their Attack stat doubled and their regular abilities (Huge Power, Pure Power) replaced. This allows for more variety in these Pokemon since one ability would not ultimately dominate.

Shedinja's base HP should be increased to a decent level (Base 50?) and HP and IVs should work properly. It would make Shedinja much more viable and not immediately killed by status, entry hazards or weather.
    The_Doctor likes this.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." -George S. Patton
    Arceus is a false god. Only science knows the true answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Azurill, Marill, Azumarill, Meditite and Medicham should have their Attack stat doubled and their regular abilities (Huge Power, Pure Power) replaced. This allows for more variety in these Pokemon since one ability would not ultimately dominate.

Shedinja's base HP should be increased to a decent level (Base 50?) and HP and IVs should work properly. It would make Shedinja much more viable and not immediately killed by status, entry hazards or weather.
    But this is just kinda their things and what makes them special and unique and also novelties.

And about the whole ice shard business i said i didnt mean that abomasnow and mamoswine were the only viable icetypes, i was just stating that they're the only ones really good enough to consistently keep up with other OU pokes. Weavile, lapras, glaceon, rotom-f, and all the others have there place but they aren't as reliable for various reasons. Ice types deserve a boost through hail boosts or something
    VINCIT QUI SE VINCIT

An alternate suggestion to this could be that Wonder Guard is changed to block entry hazards and weather effects.

This could make Shedinja a bit OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayde View Post
    "OH HOT DAMN! LOOK AT THAT FUCKING BELL! IT'S SMALL AND CUTE AND HAS A FUCKING RIBBON ON IT'S FUCKING HEAD! BACK THIS PARTY VAN UP! I GOTTA CATCH THAT SHIT!!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AceTogeTrainer View Post

But this is just kinda their things and what makes them special and unique and also novelties.
    Er... what?

I'm not removing their uniqueness or novelties.

I'm suggesting an integration of Huge Power/Pure Power into Azumarill/Medicham so they can vary more and not be forced to run one ability in competitive matches because it vastly outshines the rest.

I'm also a suggesting a buff to Shedinja that will make it more useful. It'll still be easy to counter, but much more usable. Unless you think the novelty of having no HP is worth keeping...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    An alternate suggestion to this could be that Wonder Guard is changed to block entry hazards and weather effects.

This could make Shedinja a bit OP.
    That was also considered, but I preferred mine. Also, I don't think it would make Shedinja OP... just usable (and annoying).

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." -George S. Patton

The Original Sylveon The Guardian Sylveon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Give Gothita and her family the Dark Typing along with there already existing Psychic Type I was so upset they didn't do this in the first place.

Team Eeveelution All The Way!!!

Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

It would be interesting to see a Psychic/Dark type combination on a Pokemon, although then they would only have a weakness to bug type Pokemon, so I'm not sure how likely it will be to see a Psychic/Dark type, unless it was balanced out by lower stats.

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe this is just me, but seeing as the Gothita line was just introduced last Gen, I feel like they would have been dark-types if GAME FREAK wanted them to be.

Registered User Neptune's Disciple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akira Bond View Post
    It would be interesting to see a Psychic/Dark type combination on a Pokemon, although then they would only have a weakness to bug type Pokemon, so I'm not sure how likely it will be to see a Psychic/Dark type, unless it was balanced out by lower stats.
    There are already several pokemon which only have the one weakness, look at all the Bug/Steel types. The bug weakness would be 4x, just like fire is to Bug/Steel. In fact, Dark/Phychic would cancel each other's weaknesses out almost so completely that they would be left with only one resistance - an immunity Psychic. The remaining 15 types would all be neutral. Compare this to our Bug/Steel friends, who hold a whopping 10 resistances (including 1/4x damage and immunity), and there's a huge difference in the defensive capabilities of the two type combinations. Most of these Bug/Steel certainly aren't balanced out by lower stats either, the only exception being Wormadam, which was always meant to be crap anyway. GF have shown us time and again that they're not afraid to combine good typing with good stats, so I'm not sure why this would be any different.

I wish Gothitelle etc were Dark/Psychic, but I highly doubt that they'll be retyped in Gen VI. I think the type combination could lead to some really interesting concepts, so I hope that GF do pick it up regardless.

Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

Good point, It would lose it's weakness against ghost, but lose it's resistance against fighting. I guess that would balance it out. I hope they aren't planning on retyping any Pokemon though. I'd rather see them introduce a new Pokemon that's Psychic/Dark than change/add a type to a previous Pokemon.
    Last edited by Akira Bond; 3rd April 2013 at 03:11 AM.

I'd like to see a Girafarig Evo that is Dark/Psychic even though there is few normal/psychics.

The Man of Squirtles SquirtleMan493's Avatar

I personally wish that Gigalith and his family were specially oriented Rock types as opposed to the normal, bland physical. Example:

Switch his Attack stat with his Special Attack stat, going from 135/60 to 60/135.
    Switch his Defense stat with his Special Defense stat, going from 130/70 to 70/130.
    Add Earth Power to his level up moveset.

There you go, we have a monstrous specially defense Pokémon in the sandstorm with a powerful STAB Power Gem and a dangerous Earth Power. Flash Cannon and Solar Beam become decent options and his a much more unique, interesting Pokémon. I mean, being made of crystals, I feel like it makes more sense that he'd be specially oriented.

HeartGold: 3825-0928-4475 Platinum: 2106-4902-4792 Black: 1978-9522-9634

I have sometimes speculated about what it would be like if you could use legendary Pokemon in breeding -- and by which I do NOT mean being able to "breed more legendaries".

On one hand, you have the Manaphy -> Phione style route, where the offspring is a species resembling the parent but does not evolve into the parent's form.

Or, a more comprehensive approach would be that legendary (not mythical) Pokemon get official genders and egg groups like normal breedable Pokemon, but with a catch: They assume a Ditto-like role where the offspring is concerned.

Which means that:
    - You can't breed legendaries with Ditto.
    - If the legendary is male, normal breeding rules apply (passes down moves, not species).
    - If the legendary is female, Ditto-style breeding rules apply (non-legendary father passes down both moves and species).

Technically this would require redefining the "Undiscovered" egg group itself, with a definition of "does not yield an egg of its own kind". And the "Undiscovered" egg group would not be breedable with itself or with the "Ditto" egg group. Thus, a Pokemon solely in the "Undiscovered" egg group is completely unbreedable period, but a Pokemon in both "Undiscovered" AND another egg group is breedable within the latter egg group only (and in a Ditto-like fashion only). E.g. a Raikou could have both "Undiscovered" and "Field" groups, becoming breedable with other Field Pokemon (Luxray, Absol, etc.) but you will never get a Raikou egg from the parents. Likewise, even if you have e.g. a Moltres and Zapdos of opposite genders, they can't breed together because they're both Undiscovered and it does not breed with itself, despite also being in the "Flying" egg group.

The way I see it, IF they indeed introduce a new type, they will HAVE to retype some Pokemon to make the amount of ...-type Pokemon in the dex representable. Gen 6 is a extending generation, meaning there will most probably be not just a few prevos and evos of old Pokemon. This leaves us with much less space for new Pokemon lines. If they don't retype any older Pokemon this will leave the newly introduced type with just a handful of lines for a few generations to come, because I can't imagine them to introduce a full new dex of new type Pokemon just to catch up with the numbers.

Also, the new Professor in the region could just have discovered said type not only on regional Pokemon but on national Pokemon too. It was just not a classification in the other regions.

They should at least be merged. Marill can alternately have Thick Fat (doubles defense against fire/ice attacks ... wait, Marill already has resistance to them due to being part Water so what's the point?) and Sap Sipper (absorbs Grass as HP. Which, for a water-type, w00t!). Meditite's alternate ability is Telepathy (protection against friendly fire) which is useful in its own way, but only in double/triple battles. And Meditite doesn't have two normal abilities, so yes, increasing its Attack stat while changing up its ability could be a viable retcon.

A base 50 HP would basically turn Shedinja into a Skitty armed with Wonder Guard and one Swords Dance.

You can't mess up Shedinja's signature fragility. Maybe just calculate its HP using the standard formula, which would give Shedinja slightly less HP than Diglett (whose base 10 HP is already the lowest of any other species) -- that would give it some survival against status ailments, weather, entry hazards, while still preserving how fragile it is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post
    Marill can alternately have Thick Fat (doubles defense against fire/ice attacks ... wait, Marill already has resistance to them due to being part Water so what's the point?)
    A double resistance is better than a half resistance?

In a reddit thread, I proposed that Thick Fat also makes the Pokemon immune to Hail, so there's also that idea.

A base 50 HP would basically turn Shedinja into a Skitty armed with Wonder Guard and one Swords Dance.
    Low base HP, but, like, 12 immunities? Sure, Shedinja won't be a master tank, for super-effective moves, but the point of the change was not to do that; the point is to ensure that weather, entry hazards and status ailments would not immediately kill Shedinja and improve Shedinja's utility.

Also, I have nothing against a better movepool.

You can't mess up Shedinja's signature fragility.
    Er, yes I can. Shedinja's signature fragility makes Shedinja useless nine times out of ten. Nothing is really lost, if Shedinja's HP goes from a near useless 1 to a more workable 210 to 304, with horrible defenses, and that won't be winning any awards.

Maybe just calculate its HP using the standard formula, which would give Shedinja slightly less HP than Diglett (whose base 10 HP is already the lowest of any other species) -- that would give it some survival against status ailments, weather, entry hazards, while still preserving how fragile it is.
    Maybe... I kinda like my idea better but eh.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast