Thread: Requirements

Default Requirements

What are the requirements for everything? These everything being:
    > National dex
    > wireless trading/battling
    > Wifi trading/battling
    > GTS

Thanks in advance

1) National dex, you need to see all 150 Shino Dex Pokemon, then you will receive the National Dex
    2) Wireless Trading and Battling in a DS-DS function can take place from the instant you hit the first Pokemon Center carrying city.
    3) WiFi will require you to beat the 1st Gym though. This will allow you access to the basement level of the Pokemon Center for Union Room activities as well as allow you access to the Global Trading Center in the first city.
    4) As well as the above, to use the GTS itself and request a Pokemon in trade, you have to have seen that Pokemon to ask for it. So even after you get the Nat. Dex you can't suddenly ask for a Bulbasaur and there is no real logical way in which you'll be able to ask to be traded the unobtainables.

Real California Cheese. Birdyspot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Oak View Post
    4) As well as the above, to use the GTS itself and request a Pokemon in trade, you have to have seen that Pokemon to ask for it. So even after you get the Nat. Dex you can't suddenly ask for a Bulbasaur and there is no real logical way in which you'll be able to ask to be traded the unobtainables.
    Interesting, I had not yet heard of that factor. It makes sense--how could you ask for something you wouldn't even know exists? Gee, GameFreak is really not letting us off easy when it comes to capturing nearly five hundred monsters. If you encounter a Pokemon you haven't seen in a WiFi battle, does that count as seeing it for the Dex's purposes?

Seeing a Pokemon in a non-in-game trainer battle has never counted before, doubt its likely to now. Of course, if you are battling someone on WiFi who has a Pokemon you'd like you could always just ask them to trade it to you...

Sorry holmes, Pokemon you check out in Wifi battles (and in the Battle Tower) DON'T COUNT BOI!

However, trading over Wifi, then back does.

Also, I traded a guy for his Dosidon (and back) before I got the National Dex, and when I did get it, Dosidon was chilling in the dex as a capture, yo.

Mind you, it does mean that if you encounter a rarity but fail to catch it, you can straight away hit the GTS to get it. And if a friend has seen it they could trade for it and wireless trade you one.

Real California Cheese. Birdyspot's Avatar

Seeing a Pokemon in a non-in-game trainer battle has never counted before, doubt its likely to now. Of course, if you are battling someone on WiFi who has a Pokemon you'd like you could always just ask them to trade it to you...
    I know it hasn't counted before, that's why I asked about DP. ^_^ Alas, I wish it did, though. That it would makes more sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Habunake Cooke. View Post
    Also, I traded a guy for his Dosidon (and back) before I got the National Dex, and when I did get it, Dosidon was chilling in the dex as a capture, yo.
    That's the same as RSE/FRLG, good to know. Not possessing a GBA-GBA link cable, I use Pokemon Box to shift all my Pokemon around to my three 3rd-gen carts and pick up all the Dexes more easily. Even though I'd never been able to trade my Sapphire with FR or LG to get the National Dex (being link cable-less), I included Sapphire in the rotation. When I finally traded using Sapphire with my friend's LG at the Mew event...BAM, instant 386 National Dex on Sapphire.

3) WiFi will require you to beat the 1st Gym though. This will allow you access to the basement level of the Pokemon Center for Union Room activities as well as allow you access to the Global Trading Center in the first city.
    You dont have to beat the first Gym ;) I restarted a few times and got to wifi as quick as I could. You just have to beat that cave South of that town if I remember correctly.

Thanks for clearing that up guys