Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The reasoning for the names "X" and "Y" explained

Zeb
    vital spirit. Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Default The reasoning for the names "X" and "Y" explained

From this: Men are from Mars, Pokémon X and Y are from France - IGN

My time with X and Y, though brief, was enlightening. Yet one question still stuck in my mind. Pokémon generations have always featured naming schemes where the sets of games are “opposite yet complementary” – they are all sets of things, but they could be viewed as opposites to each other: Red, Blue, and Yellow; Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. I had seen X and Y as following this scheme, with X and Y being the female and male chromosomes, respectively. The feminine grace of Xerneas and the fierce, masculine image of Yveltal cemented this association in my mind. But it turned out my assumptions were completely wrong.

“The names of X and Y represent the philosophy we had behind the two games,” explained Yoshida. “We’ve taken the idea of X and Y from the geometric X- and Y-axes. They represent two different ways of thought. At the same time, we want to convey a message encouraging people to find a common ground, where X and Y converge.”

When I explained my theory to Masuda, he seemed bemused. “Xerneas is meant to evoke imagery of eternity, while Yveltal is destruction. Perhaps you could see some ties between feminine and masculine qualities there!”
    As many people thought, it's from the axes. They pretty much confirmed the names didn't come about from chromosomes.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

Blog Entries

Default Re: The reasoning for the names "X" and "Y" explained

I'm rather glad they didn't shoehorn Xerneas as a female just because it's nurturing and Yveltal as the male just because it has rage problems.

Blog Entries

Nice! This could also explain why Xerneas's exclusive move is geo control ( controlling the x axis-Earth) and Yveltal's move is death wings ( controlling the y-axis-Sky). Besides, geo control's animations makes the beam aiming towards the sky and vice versa for death wing...so maybe when the two moves meet the axises will converge ( in both literal and metaphorical sense).
    Proud claimer of the Snow Dragon Kyurem. 24/01/2014

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

So we could expect a Z version? LOL

He's Amphabulous! Bayushiyojiro's Avatar

a z-version is quite possible, though the 'third' legendary would 'depth/width'(the z-axis since we have height and length) represented, so.. idk how they'd manage that. unless they do a double entendre with 'depth' and use a water type. or really cheese out the 3d on the pokemon's signature effects
    "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." -Karen

all gens have their purpose and place (except hoenn, screw hoenn)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
    So we could expect a Z version? LOL
    or pokemon MG version. Maths graph lol

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Bayushiyojiro View Post
    a z-version is quite possible, though the 'third' legendary would 'depth/width'(the z-axis since we have height and length) represented, so.. idk how they'd manage that. unless they do a double entendre with 'depth' and use a water type. or really cheese out the 3d on the pokemon's signature effects
    I could see a Z-named Fairy/Dragon legendary. XD

if xerneas is fairy (but yveltal is not) i doubt the third will also be fairy. though i wouldnt be surprised if it was.
    "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." -Karen

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

X being landbound and Y being flying makes sense.

A Z legendary... well, XY are a common ground where two different things are, and together form the plane where Kalos is. I could see something about the depth within this plane and looking further in the things within where the two different thoughts converge, that by solely focusing on the thoughts themselves would be missed.

I could see something like that. It would've to be an ethereal kind of creature though if we contrast them, so maybe Ghost, or (yet another) Dragon. (Or Dark/Fairy I guess)

On the other hand, finding an entirely different thought to an eternity<->destruction paralell that ISN'T a middle ground is pretty hard. Maybe the concept of Carpe Diem, or maybe of renovation?

[/overexposition]

ohh i got it Z's mascot will be the YOLO legendary

ohh god i hope not
    YamiiDenryuu and Phoenixon like this.

Blog Entries

People are gonna hype about Pokémon Z after hearing this, you can't have a 3D games without the Z-axis.

Completely, the third set of game/s after X and Y would have the entire thing on 3-D.

Artistically done, Gamefreak. (no, that's not sarcasm)
    EXGShadow and Karpi like this.

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One of the first things I read on this board after X and Y were announced was the concept of X and Y axes in 3D modeling. Great guess! (although would a Ground type third mascot work to represent the third axis?)

Xerneas still looks more masculine than feminine to me. (the stag with giant antlers... Very manly in deer terms)

Maybe the third game will be Pokemon 0, where X and Y meet? Then again, we don't know what the third Legendary this gen will be so we might be able to get a better guess after the game is released.
    NoirGrimoir and Hozz101 like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerInYellow View Post
    Maybe the third game will be Pokemon 0, where X and Y meet? Then again, we don't know what the third Legendary this gen will be so we might be able to get a better guess after the game is released.
    I like the sound of pokemon zero. The legendary could be steel/ ice. steel to represent the firmness of the interception and ice to represent absolute zero and/or nothingness as the axises will be gone.

Or maybe the 3rd version could be pokemon infinity to represent the endless dimensions of the cosmos ( the spiritual, philosophical..etc). with dragon/ fairy as a legendary, because part of human history is told as the body of myths of the ancient people. And dragon/ fairy best represent that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast